I got to kill my chameleon

Status
Not open for further replies.

User227

I'm new to this site and HATE forums so sorry If I'm doing something wrong right now it's just this is an emergency. My chameleon needs to be taken out. He was perfect the first month with a nice set up but I think he caught a parasite because he got lethargic, then the next week his eyes got swollen on/off and he can't open his eyes anymore, he shrunk a little bit, his skin looks extremely wrinkly, his left eye looks dead and this morning I think it spread to his tounge. It's huge and deformed sticking out of his mouth and I need to kill him, I don't see him climbing or anything anymore he just lays there breathing. And he doesn't have the strength to chomp on a worm anymore, I have to squirt water in his mouth with a mini turkey baster. I'm NOT taking him to a vet. I've heard of the refigerator trick to get him to sleep then putting him in the freezer to finish him off, but I think that's a bit brutal. I've though about putting him in a paper bag and crushing him with a cinder block, or hammer to the head. Or should I just let him go naturally? (He's been semi-dead for two weeks now)

You should own up to the responsibility of owning an animal and allowing it to suffer for this long and take it to a vet for a humane injectable euthanasia so your poor chameleon can finally be out of pain and die peacefully. Sorry if you don't want to, but that's what vets are there for. Freezing and/or cooling is slow, painful and only limits the ability of the animal to move, but does not necessarily numb the pain. It is considered inhumane by the American Veterinary Medical Association. This method should not be used under any circumstances.

If he's that bad off, take him to the vet and do it humanely. Even if you are putting him out of his misery, you can still go to jail for being inhumane to an animal.

Please, please take him to the vet, and have him put to sleep in a humane way! None of those other methods sound good. Even fish deserve humane euthanizing, which I have had to do recently, using clove oil and water. Just because they can't scream doesn't mean that they are not suffering.
I have also had to have my elderly kitties put to sleep. It's awful, but because we love them, and don't want them to suffer anymore, we owe it to them to make their passing painless. With cats and dogs I know they use an aneasthetic, so they really are going to sleep, but because it's a large dose, they stop breathing etc.
Not sure what they do with reptiles as I don't have one yet, but probably something similar. You sound very young in your post, so you may not understand yet about pain, and suffering, but believe me you will doing a kind thing for your pet.
So sorry.

I was hesitant to respond to this thread as I find it so disturbing, that I am questioning if it is really authentic. I cannot believe someone would come onto a forum of Chameleon lovers and post what you did. Possible trolling to get attention or get under our skin? I would like to think this is the case, because if not, alls I can say is WOW. It sounds as if you have let this poor animal suffer in a horrible way and instead of doing the humane thing by seeing a vet you want to put it out of its misery with even more suffering. I hope that if this is the way you treat your chameleon, that when this one does go, you do not plan on getting another. As Ferrit said, you need to be a responsible owner and do the right thing.

I'm new to this site and HATE forums so sorry If I'm doing something wrong right now it's just this is an emergency. My chameleon needs to be taken out. He was perfect the first month with a nice set up but I think he caught a parasite because he got lethargic, then the next week his eyes got swollen on/off and he can't open his eyes anymore, he shrunk a little bit, his skin looks extremely wrinkly, his left eye looks dead and this morning I think it spread to his tounge. It's huge and deformed sticking out of his mouth and I need to kill him, I don't see him climbing or anything anymore he just lays there breathing. And he doesn't have the strength to chomp on a worm anymore, I have to squirt water in his mouth with a mini turkey baster. I'm NOT taking him to a vet. I've heard of the refigerator trick to get him to sleep then putting him in the freezer to finish him off, but I think that's a bit brutal. I've though about putting him in a paper bag and crushing him with a cinder block, or hammer to the head. Or should I just let him go naturally? (He's been semi-dead for two weeks now)

Please, don't ever buy another pet...

Yep! I'm actually testifying as a witness in an animal cruelty case in a few weeks since I was the vet on the case.

Can we get you to testify against this lowlife "user227" who let his chameleon get sick and die? Maybe someone in the big house can put him out of his misery.

I was hesitant to respond to this thread as I find it so disturbing, that I am questioning if it is really authentic. I cannot believe someone would come onto a forum of Chameleon lovers and post what you did. Possible trolling to get attention or get under our skin? I would like to think this is the case, because if not, alls I can say is WOW. It sounds as if you have let this poor animal suffer in a horrible way and instead of doing the humane thing by seeing a vet you want to put it out of its misery with even more suffering. I hope that if this is the way you treat your chameleon, that when this one does go, you do not plan on getting another. As Ferrit said, you need to be a responsible owner and do the right thing.

You are right, this person is likely a troll and we shouldn't give them the attention they want. I should have known this person was probably a little kid looking for attention after seeing the childlike grammer of this thread's title.

you guys are psychos. I spent 600 dollars for the perfect setup for my chameleon, only the best for him. He caught a parasite and that's not my fault. Yes a cinder block and hammer sounds brutal but a instant blow to the brain is a quick death to all animals. Just forget it I'll find another lizard forum you guys are coo coo with the mean statements and suggesting I spend 80 bucks on something I could do myself

I am sorry to all chamelon lovers but I have to say a smashing blow to the head sound to me more humanitary than any other way of putting down an animal, if you kill the barin activity you kill the individual

you guys are psychos. I spent 600 dollars for the perfect setup for my chameleon, only the best for him. He caught a parasite and that's not my fault. Yes a cinder block and hammer sounds brutal but a instant blow to the brain is a quick death to all animals. Just forget it I'll find another lizard forum you guys are coo coo with the mean statements and suggesting I spend 80 bucks on something I could do myself

You let your chameleon get sick and slowly die without treating him and we are the psychos. Yes, this is your fault, you failed to take resposibility for the life you took into your hands. Any forum will have the same response to you

Things like this make me sick. You have spent the money on its set up so why can't you spend the money getting your animal humanly euthanased. I hope you get caught out, report and fined or imprisoned. Oh and I don't think any other forum will tell you how to kill your pet.

original.gif

you are right, it is not your fault he caught a parasite. Happens to the best of keepers. What IS your fault is not taking necessary action to treat the parasite and hence letting your chameleon die a slow death. This upsets me more than the way you want to end its life. You could spend $2,000 on a set up and what good is it if the animal gets sick and you won't help it by SEEING a vet? Yes, please go to another forum and do us all a favor(including the chameleons) and don't get any more.

What did you expect coming on to a forum of Chameleon Lovers and telling us he has been near death suffering for two weeks because of your stupidity?
If treating our animals with love and respect and being responsible by taking them to the vet when they are ill makes us coocoo or psycho, then yes, we are all crazy.

I would say you named this thread perfectly. I can tell by the fact that you already know that there is a parasite (how, I don't know), did nothing to fix the situation, and are NOT going to see a vet, and asked us for advice :confused:, shows that you indeed "got to kill your chameleon" and have done a truly fantastic job of it. It would have been a better title if it said "Here's something else I can do with a cinder block and hammer...First I'll try it on myself to see if it will work!"

I'm also assuming that you are a troll and have always said NOT to feed the trolls, but this is too ridiculous not to comment on.

I look at this more like being a farmer so I am fine with you killing it. Getting caught up in the philosophical argument about ethics is a big waste of time. For example the environmental damage from keeping one chameleon is probably worse than killing about 10 chameleons -- electricity from fossil fuels or nuclear, mercury in special light bulbs, the death of all those innocent crickets etc. Most of all the time required could be spent picking up trash or writing your politician for better environmental laws. Just the electricity from being on the computer alone...

Have you ever killed other animals before? First step would be to make sure you know how to sharpen a knife properly. I am not gonna admit to doing this myself. It seems like decapitation is the way to go.

people like this make me sick i have personaly gone out of pocket on more than one occasion because i thought my boy rango was ill or see something i didnt like and the vet both times i took him said he was one of the best looking and most healthy chameleons they had ever seen but i cant help but worry as i did all my research before i got my chameleon as i wanted to take the best care of him i could and i do on a daily basis check him over because i know any illness and chams go down hill quickly so need attention very quickly if u had done ur research u would have realised this i feel so sorry for that poor chameleon he deserved better:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom