I don't understand how she keeps burning herself

Rowenacham

This is our 6ish month old female veiled chameleon. Her heat lamp is 25 watts and her sun lamp is 13 watts. Her enclosure is one feet wide, 3 feet long, and 5 feet tall, screened enclosure, the lamps are suspended 6 inches above the top of the enclosure. Heat spot is kept between 72-77 F. Mix of live and fake plants. Mist her by hand as needed to keep humidity at or above 70%. 10 inches of soil and sand blend at the bottom of enclosure for the plants and egg laying. I have flamazine cream from the vet, but is there anything I can change about her enclosure to help her stop getting burned? This is the third time it has happened. I decreased the wattage of the bulbs down from 50 and 15. Her plants go all the way up to the top of the enclosure. She is moving around fine and eating and drinking normally.

Attachments

• IMG_7880.JPG
    IMG_7880.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 230
Here is a photo of her enclosure. The bottom third is a fish tank, top two thirds where she spends most of her time is screened.

Attachments

• IMG_7883.JPG
    IMG_7883.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 234
I would add more braches going from side to side. And i would recommend a white house hold bulb instead of those red heat bulbs. Do you know what the temp is right under that light? Evidently its too hot...

Something does not sound right, my heat bulb is 150W and my guy has never been burned. My bulb is at proper height and my temps are good. Your basking temp is low, I have no idea how she is being burned, unless she is on top of bulb. Also, I don't know about that yellow red bulb, I would use an incandescent bulb for heat. Where is your UVB bulb?

Also where is your uvb bulb?
UVB lamp is usually in the center at the top. The lightbulb burned out earlier today and I have it down right now (having a little difficulty changing the bulb). I just checked the temperature directly under the heat lamp and it's 90 F.

Ditch that yellow/red heat bulb, it looks like it belongs in a tanning bed. Sorry to be blunt.
Woulf just a regular household lightbulb would be ok you think? We were using the white bulbs for that lamp but our pet store stopped carrying them and only had the red bulbs in stock.

Yes, regular incandescent bulbs are good. Make sure you get a good temp reading at her basking spot. Also, increase the limbs/vines in the enclosure. Offer horizontal branches.etc.. While we are at it, put some live plants in there to maintain proper humidity.

Yes, regular incandescent bulbs are good. Make sure you get a good temp reading at her basking spot. Also, increase the limbs/vines in the enclosure. Offer horizontal branches.etc.. While we are at it, put some live plants in there to maintain proper humidity.
We have live plants in there. All but the ivy looking stuff is live plants.

I think it's the red basking light those get very hot. The regular house bulb is good for basking. But also I'd recommend getting the long uvb t5 .. so it covers your whole cage.. since that's the most important light. Comes in many lengths

Just a quick question, are the energy saving incandescents better or worse than the normal ones?

I'm pretty sure those new bulbs that have that plastic bottom ( pic of what I mean in next post ) half of bulb produce very little to no heat. Should use the older full glass ones if using incandesent.

Cause I changed all my house bulbs with those for energy saving reasons and they don't get even warm for hours

Sorry new here still trying to figure out to add small pics

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom