I don't really know the sex of my newborn

Hzerbi

Hi, i just got my first chameleon after a long time of wanting one, i already have the terrarium and the day and night lights. But im not certain about its sex, how can i know? it's a veiled chameleon.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-07-22 at 10.01.33 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-07-22 at 10.01.33 PM.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,549
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-07-23 at 1.32.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-07-23 at 1.32.02 PM.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 173
Hi, i just got my first chameleon after a long time of wanting one, i already have the terrarium and the day and night lights. But im not certain about its sex, how can i know? it's a veiled chameleon.

Congratulations on your new baby.

I think @OrangeJuice gave you good pictures to show you what to look for. It helps to take an in-focus picture on one back heel and blow it up. Baby is so tiny I certainly wouldn't be able to see if there are spurs without studying an in-focus blown up picture. Babies move too much. The spurs on babies are much smaller less obvious than the spurs on adults but they are there. Spurs are a bit of a misnomer--they are just a little bit of extra flesh.

I see from your picture that you have a very very young baby. Babies so small can be a challenge to keep alive because there is very little room for error. They dehydrate very quickly because they have small bodies covered in very thin skin. Humidity is a huge issue for them. I can't tell for sure, but it seems you have your baby in a screen cage. Most breeders keep their babies in tubs with moist paper towels on the bottom. Does your home have air conditioning? A/C drastically dries out the air. I also see you have fake plants in his cage. Living plants breathe and by doing so release humidity into the air. A baby on a living plant lives in a much more stable and humid environment than one that lives on a fake plant. If you have the baby in a screen cage, I would strongly recommend you switch to something that has four solid sides. A cheap plastic tote works well and is what most breeders use.

You mention lights and night lights. Babies need much cooler temps than adults. I am not a veiled breeder so can't give you a good idea of what temps a baby so young should live at. Perhaps @jannb can as she does produce veileds. I hope she can help you. I do know that baby definitely does not need extra heat at night. Any extra heat will lower the ambient humidity. I think the trick with babies is hydration and humidity, regardless of the species.

Is baby eating for you? Can you get enough small-sized food items?

Tiny babies are quite fragile and have a very high mortality rate in the hands of novices. Research from a book is not the same as dealing with something first hand. There are lots on here with experience with neonates who will try to help you. Please only listen to experienced people who have had success raising several clutches of healthy babies. Lots of novices who have owned a single chameleon for only a few months will chime in with advice but for all their good intentions, they often do not know what they are talking about. Mistakes with neonates kills them pretty quickly. Good luck. Baby is very cute!

Its a male! thanks for your help. hi @jajeanpierre its a glass terrarium with cross ventilation, and screen roof. I was planning on getting some real plants, but I dont really know which ones, can you help me? he already has a droplet of water for humidity.
Where can i buy the calcium and vitamines??
i give him small loaded krickets
thanks!

I believe since baby is so small you can also give it fruit flies and small Dubai roaches if you're up to it. since the plants are fake you should maybe have longer misting sessions. As for safe plants I believe this link has a good list of plants. Good luck with baby!

http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp

Also from reading your thread: you can get calcium with d3 from petco with the other vitamins, but I had to go on amazon to get calcium without d3 (it's important to have both)

I thought I saw a tiny spur but the photo wasnt completely clear so I was waiting to be sure.
At least you don't have to worry about eggs now!

Do you know about supplements? Feeding/gutloading insects? Watering? Appropriate temperatures?

Its a male! thanks for your help. hi @jajeanpierre its a glass terrarium with cross ventilation, and screen roof. I was planning on getting some real plants, but I dont really know which ones, can you help me? he already has a droplet of water for humidity.
Where can i buy the calcium and vitamines??
i give him small loaded krickets
thanks!
Here is a list of chameleon safe plants http://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

Back
Top Bottom