I believe I have a female ?

djdanny402

So recently I've been thinking I have a female. Not quite sure but the colors lead me to believe.
It was sold as a male but I'm sure it's quite hard to tell early on.

Anyone can tell for sure?

Attachments

• IMG_5040.JPG
    IMG_5040.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_5042.JPG
    IMG_5042.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 189
Do you have a proper UVB light on the cage?

I read information in aother post of yours...I would recommend that you improve your feeding/gutloading...I use dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, collards, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, and a bit of fruit such as apples, pears, berries, melon.

Also it's recommended that you dust the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon at almost every feeding with a phosphorous-free calcium powder... Twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder.

It looks like she may be developing MBD and it needs to be stopped ASAP to prevent any harm to her.
Her supplements, basking temperature, feeding/gutloading of the insects, proper UVB needs to be spot on. She may need some liquid calcium sandoz or gluconate to build up her calcium levels. This is particularly important since she will be producing eggs soon by the look of her colors.

I'm would also recommend that you put an opaque container at least 12" x 12" deep x 8" full of washed playsand in her cage so she can dig to show you when she's ready to lay eggs. Also...don't let her see you watching her when she's digging. It causes them to abandon the hole.

Last edited:
After closer inspection of your pictures, I have to agree with nursemaia. There is swelling in the front limbs. You’ve got MBD on your hands. I recommend a vet visit ASAP, and lots of research on treating this with improved husbandry.

Do you have a proper UVB light on the cage?

I read information in aother post of yours...I would recommend that you improve your feeding/gutloading...I use dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, collards, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, and a bit of fruit such as apples, pears, berries, melon.

Also it's recommended that you dust the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon at almost every feeding with a phosphorous-free calcium powder... Twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder.

It looks like she may be developing MBD and it needs to be stopped ASAP to prevent any harm to her.
Her supplements, basking temperature, feeding/gutloading of the insects, proper UVB needs to be spot on. She may need some liquid calcium sandoz or gluconate to build up her calcium levels. This is particularly important since she will be producing eggs soon by the look of her colors.

I'm would also recommend that you put an opaque container at least 12" x 12" deep x 8" full of washed playsand in her cage so she can dig to show you when she's ready to lay eggs. Also...don't let her see you watching her when she's digging. It causes them to abandon the hole.

Yes I have a Zoo med repti sun
T5 HO high output terrarium hood
14" size in size
( holds one 15 watt 12" repti sun t5 high output lamp).
Basking is about 80/85 Degrees
With humidity around 55/60%

As far as gutloading I do use spinach , kale, carrots , zucchini and other various fruits and veggies along with " cricket crack".
I also try to vary his , now her diet with hornworms and I just purchased some super worms to vary ( I know the supers have little value in nutrition).

I do dust her crickets with rephashy calcium d3 / vitamin all in one twice a month ,
As I was told but I see that's incorrect.
I'm going to change this asap
Can I still use their products or any other recommendations ?

The lip curl was due to a bite from a horn worm that nipped her and started a case of mouth rot. It has since been treated but seems to be something that remains.

Yes ,
the egg bin is going in now, as you guys have confirmed my suspicions!

So your care sounds good. Sorry about the hornworm bite. I still feel there’s an issue with the front limbs. I did see a problem with your gut loading though, get rid of the spinach. Apparently spinach can block your reptiles calcium absorption, even when used to gut load feeders. Try and use a good calcium supplement daily still(one without d3). And have someone look at those front legs, if not MBD, it could be a vitamin A related issue resulting in edema. Good luck man, she’s a good looking girl.

I have to agree with dropping the spinach...it binds calcium when raw.

You said..."I do dust her crickets with rephashy calcium d3 / vitamin all in one twice a month ,
As I was told but I see that's incorrect.
I'm going to change this asap
Can I still use their products or any other recommendations ? " I've used Rep-cal phosphorous-free calcium powder and Rep-cal phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder and Herptivite for years but there are lots of other products out there that are fine too ...the point is that to have good bone health, etc the supplementing needs to be as I described...phosphorous-free calcium at almost every feeding to help balance the poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous found in most feeder insects... Phosphorous-free calcium/D3 twice a month to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it because D3 from supplements can build up in the chameleon and lead to health issues but D3produced from exposure to uvb light wont as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it at will...and a vitamin powder with a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A twice a month...and if/when needed a prEformed vitamin A once or twice a month.

You said..."The lip curl was due to a bite from a horn worm that nipped her and started a case of mouth rot. It has since been treated but seems to be something that remains"...I had no !problem with the lip...it's the legs that are indicating the MBD. MBD is the result of an imbalance of nutrients...not enough calcium, too much or too little D3, imbalance in vitamin A or phosphorous.

Edema caused by Vitamin A overdose is usually seen in the throat area notmthe legs IMHO... BTW.

You still need to treat the MBD. A vet can tell you how much liquid calcium sandoz or gluconate it needs to recover...and in the meantime like I said before your supplementing, etc need to be bang on.

Stocked up on gutloading supplies and the calcium ,

Just added a egg laying area.

( just misted hence 75 degrees, was 85)

Currently looking for a vet, gonna stop by my shop this weekend to see who they recommend.

Pics dident load

Attachments

• IMG_6024.JPG
    IMG_6024.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6025.JPG
    IMG_6025.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6026.JPG
    IMG_6026.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 153
Back