I am getting ready to place an order with Mulberry farms...

mudshark1971

I was gonna buy Silkworms and Pheonix worms to add to my crickets and Superworms that I feed. The owner at Reptile kingdom said I would be better off just buying Pheonix worms because it has plenty of calcium and some acid that turns to vitamins. I may be confused vitamin part. But should I get both kinds of worms or is it better to just add Pheonix worms?

Buy silkworms.
Buy both if you have the dough,
Not all chameleons appreciate phoenix worms.
If you have an adult cham (veiled or panther), the small size of phoenix worm might turn off their appetite.

I bought Phoenix worms for my bearded dragons hoping that my Jackson's Cham would like them too. Beardys loved them...my cham hated them:(

IMHO Pheonix worms are kinda worthless unless the animal is young or a smaller specias and has any interest. Personally... a waste of money in my mind. Now if you have an animal that likes them, great! If you are making an order of bugs and the shipping doesn't go up if you add the worms, do it.. if it's gonna cost extra to ship, don't bother, it might end up being a waste. If you have shows in your area, try getting some there. Sometimes herp shops sell them in store... so you could always pick up local if someone near by has them of course.

My cham likes them alot but I hand feed her them 3 at a time so she can get them all at once. She will not eat silkworms though, so I personally say try both but the smallest orders you can get of each.

It took some of my chams a week or so to get used to silkworms, or even try them for that matter. Most of them tried the right away though and since then they all love them now except my one picky adult who will eat them only once a week. The good thing is that once they cocoon you can feed off the moths that hatch out. My chams go nuts for them, especially the fat female moths. I think its because the wing go crazy on the moths. I stick a male and female together so they begin to mate, once they start mating you have to twist them to separate them so I stick them together on the screen and when my guys grab one they get two for one. Plus they get quite large and it will take fewer to fill him up then crickets or supers. Plus they are high in calcium and not very fatty as opposed to the supers. he'll still need some crunchy food for chitin though, at least once a week if not every feeding. I usually give 4 big silkies and and 2 large discoid nymphs or adult female dubia as a meal for my adult female and male panthers when I'm using worms more regularly. If I think they need to put on weight I feed 2 of the biggest hornworms they can handle, usually full sized worms for full sized chams, 2 supers and 2 roaches of appropriate size. I use larger roaches if they are freshly molted as they are easy to swallow. I only have one cham that still feed on phoenix worms, he is just under 4 months. My 5 month old won't even look at them anymore. But if you can get them to eat them they are pretty high in calcium so use less calcium dust on them. Good luck.

Justin

Both of my chams will eat Pheonix worms. Anytime I order horns or silks I also get the Pheonix worms too. It usually doesn't cost anymore for the shipping. :) I use Coastal Silk Worms.

Back
Top Bottom