I admit defeat...

camimom

Ok roach people. I admit defeat. My crickets, while i like to touch them more. are pissing me off. I have now caught over 200 loose F-in crickets in my apt. I cant take it. I hace no clue how they keep escaping my feeder bin, and no idea how to make them stop.

So fine... you WIN..
I have succumbed to the roaches who cant climb plastic...

Tell me how to do it.

ANd if any of you have some roaches youd like to send for free to help me start the dreaded colony, feel free to do so....

LOL my husband said no on the roaches but I do have my crickets in a 10g TANK have been lucky and no escapees... YET

I've had them a couple weeks and they are great. Harder to get your chams to eat they don't move as much. I haven't had any luck yet.

We use a cheap $20 glass 10gal aquarium with a screen top and we have very little escapes, we also use empty paper towel rolls instead of egg crates and they work awsome for putting the cricks in the dusting cup. hope it helps:D

I use clear packing tape around the top of the bin they cant get past it. Also with the lid cut a hole and tape screenig to the hole. Just make sure they cant bridge the tape.

Im only admiting defeat because i cant handle the 200 loose crickets! they are everywhere, my shower, my laundry, my cat room, the ceilings, the walls, everywhere but in the damn bin.

i cant use a 10 gallon tank beacuse i have 3000 crickets!!!!!!

and its not the deep end because i want roaches, its the deep end cuz im going to go flipping insane [insert bad word here] if i have to spend 2 hours every night catching them again!!!!!! seriously.. i cant take it.

I use clear packing tape around the top of the bin they cant get past it. Also with the lid cut a hole and tape screenig to the hole. Just make sure they cant bridge the tape.

both the lid and a side has a hole cut out, and mesh hot glued and then taped on. they arent escaping through the mesh.

i think they are crawling under the lid and out the top.

i will try packing tape, though, with these guys, i could see them figuring out a way to get past it. they are not your average crickets.

Oh no! Don't do it. They are nasty. I got those big ones out, I thought I was going to puke when I saw those things. I couldn't do it. No way.

Definately use the clear packing tape around the top of your bin cuz they can most definately climb plastic...and not just the little ones...I watch the males do it all the time! Lol

Definately use the clear packing tape around the top of your bin cuz they can most definately climb plastic...and not just the little ones...I watch the males do it all the time! Lol

its not my little ones doing most of it. its my big fat females. they are all adults. i think they are banded crickets..

and mychamtini, if the tape doesnt work, i have to, i cant handle 400 loose crickets every day.

Then you need a smoother container because I have never seen mine crawl up the sides. I have three species right now and none can climb plastic;)

I use a plastic 30 gall long vinyl terrarium. No escapes because it's very tight fitting. Door opens in front, no escapees. I can show you and sell it if interested.

www.gregsexoticroaches.com

I think Greg is remodeling his site at the moment, so google gregs exotic roaches for the current URL that's a bit funky.
Buy a larger starter kit. That's exactly what I did. You can use your cricket bin for roaches.
I have a LARGE opaque rubbermaid tub with a section of mesh hot glued on one end of the lid, 8 egg flats standing on end, and a human heat pad on high underneath the egg flats. On the non-heated section, I place my silica jelly and pre-made roach food in deli containers that have been roughed up with sand-paper. (Everything is included in the kit except the tub and heat pad.) That's it. Add roaches and go! I give the roaches some fresh fruits/and veggies like 4 days a week and clean out the frass from my bin about once every month or every other month. They take a while to start breeding, but once they do the population explodes. Roaches LOVE oranges and feeding them this makes them breed faster. Refill your roach chow as needed, and dump and replace your jelly once a week and just top it off throughout the week. You can buy silica crystals from greg too. One ounce makes one gallon! It's ridiculously cheap. Use your favorite gut-loading veggies and also keep in mind that the regular roach chow acts as a gut-load in itself. It's highly nutritious and super high in protein.

A fun project is cutting a small hole (1 inch diameter) in an orange and offering it to the roaches. They'll completely hollow it out leaving you a pleasant smelling Christmas ornament. :cool:

I have discoids, dusky cave roaches, and surinamers and none of them climb the plastic of their bins. My banana roaches do, but I actually find them really pretty and non-roachy so I don't even care if I see one out and about, I just snatch it up with tweezers and back it goes. They are great. I hate the wild roaches more than words can say, but I really do tolerate the roaches pretty well. They aren't very fast, they don't climb, they don't fly... they just walk around eating. Pretty non-offensive, if you ask me lol

I have caught so many crickets tonight that my arms are breaking out in hives. I never get hives, even when pulling out enough bugs to feed the troop.

I have, for now, duct taped the edge of the lid all the way around, so there is no way to get in the damn bin.
sorry for my language, i am just beyond annoyed.

I am going to get clear packing tape and i am going to tape the edges inside the bin, hopefully that stops it. if not..

i am starting my silkworm project sooner than i thought, andi am going to get some stupid roaches. and no, calling them beetles wont make it easier.

fml. i dont want roaches, i dont like roaches, i live in an apt where we get roaches sometimes, i am allergic to frass. but. i will deal with al of that before i spend every night catching 400 crickets.

Back
Top Bottom