Hyrdo - My little baby's in heaven

Hydro's Mom

Hello all,

I don't post much, but I do read everyone's post and learn from some of the experiences on here. Today is the saddest day of my life, My baby Hydro has died this morning, I took him to the vet on 5/18/07, the diagnous was MBD, so we have been giving him .05 ccs of liquid calcium, Hydro wasn't very please with it, in one week he went from 86 grams down to 62 back to the vets on the 5/25/07 and told the vet he seemed to be getting worse, he just said that he was a fighter continue with the liquid calcium and also "jump start" which is a supplement plus try giving him crickets/butterworms, so everytime he opened his mouth I would give him the calcium and give him a small worm but he really didn't want the food, he would stay lying down at the bottom of the cage, wouldn't open his eyes and he looked liked he was just giving up on living, I felt so helpless, I have cried my eyes out for 2 days then this morning I gave him his last calcium, supplement and water, when my son got up this morning to check on Hydro, he found him all black, mouth open and tongue hanging out. He called me at work to tell me the news. He was my first baby and I am so upset, he was 6 months old. I loved him so now we buried him in our front yard so I can look at him everyday and remember the short good time we had together. I do plan on getting another Panther soon. Only this time I will NOT USE THE COIL LIGHTS, I have purchased the correct lighting needed as soon as I was told Hydro has MBD, I tried everything in my power to help the little guy. I will keep you guys posted on what I get next.
Thanks for letting me vent, I had this bottled up all afternoon and just wanted to know if anyone else had the samething happend to their baby and how do you ease the pain???

That really SUCKS!! What do you mean by coil bulbs? Are you referring to the exo terra spiral bulbs? Anyway I am sorry for your loss:(. I just purchased two ambanja males from Vince, I noticed in a previous thread you mentioned that you got Hydro from
Screameleons!! I posted pics of my ambanjas in the Screameleons thread!! I wish you lots of luck on your next chameleon and I
hope you are going with the reptisun bulbs!!

Last edited:
I lost my first chameleon and I never imagined how attached and upset I could get over a little reptile. Time will heal the pain and sadness. It is also a learning experience. Did you dust his food with calcium? Did you only have one of those coil lights and would you mind posting what kind so that people know what does not work? I am sorry for your loss and look forward to hearing about any new babies you get.

I am sorry for your lost. I know this sound really bad and mean.... i wanna say "You'll get used to it". For keeping pets, is not about how many you keep but how many you killed. You have to learn from your mistakes. For me, I have kept lets see......... put it this way...i have lost 1 adult female veiled due to eggs retention, 1 adult jackson (old age), 12 babies veiled (my 1st clutch), 10 babies jackson (heat and dehydration) , 4 bearded pygmies (old age), 2 blue eyes pygmies (dunno why), 10 bearded pygmies eggs, 5 blue eye pygmies eggs. After so many killed, i had learn my mistakes and how to actually care and breed for them. Now i have successfully kept total 34 chameleon. 1.1 Ambilobe Panther, 2.2 Veiled Chameleon, 0.1 jackson, 1.1 Blue Eye Pygmies, 3.2 Bearded Pygmies, 10 babies jackson , 5 babies bearded pygmies and 5 babies blue eye pygmies, 55 eggs incubating!!!

That really SUCKS!! What do you mean by coil bulbs? Are you referring to the exo terra spiral bulbs? Anyway I am sorry for your loss:(. I just purchased two ambanja males from Vince, I noticed in a previous thread you mentioned that you got Hydro from
Screameleons!! I posted pics of my ambanjas in the Screameleons thread!! I wish you lots of luck on your next chameleon and I
hope you are going with the reptisun bulbs!!

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your comments. Yes, I did get my guy from Vincent at Screameleons, Vincent is wonderful and very helpful, everytime I call Vincent with a question he was very helpful. There are pictures of Hydro in the Gallery. The coil light I talked about is the Repti Glo 5.0 UVB, I also dusted my cricket with Rep-Cal Calcium with vit.d3 and Herptivite every 2 or 3 days. I did purchase the reptisun tube lights one 5.0 and a 10.0 I've already talked to Vincent about buying another Cham, I will let you know what kind of cham I get and when. Talk to you guys later, must get ready for work.

It is sad to lose a chameleon that means a lot to you. However, we learn from these things...

Also, to help minimize nutritional disorders, be sure that your crickets and other feeders are appropriately gut-loaded in the future.

It is sad to lose a chameleon that means a lot to you. However, we learn from these things...

Also, to help minimize nutritional disorders, be sure that your crickets and other feeders are appropriately gut-loaded in the future.

Hi Dragonbreeder,

I did gutload my crickets, and silkworms too. I didn't gut load butterworms I didn't know that I was supposed to, was I? I did everything by the manual from Vincent the only different thing I did was to buy the spiral uvb blub which I understand now was not any good and didn't give off the approprate uvb needed for my baby.:( I miss my baby:( Once I get some pictures from Vicent on his availability I will be picking one up again.:)

Didn't mean to sound like you didn't, but sadly so many keepers do not gut load their feeders...

I know how you feel, in the past I lost a cbb melleri that was kept under completely optimal conditions. I had it since it was a hatchling and did not make it to a sub-adult. I was very sad about it.

Sometimes these things happen regardless of how well they are kept. It can surely be discouraging. I lost my second cbb mellers a few years later (I had about 10 cbb melleri all together), and this one was also kept from a hatchling, and made it to almost 500 grams in a years time and then had a (very) small cut on it's under-foot pad that got infected. This small cut was not noticable as it was under the foot. I treated him with antibiotics from the vet but it was too late. Strong and normal looking one day, then sick the next.

After that I stopped keeping Meller's, regardless of the fact that they are one of my very favorite chams...

Good luck with your next cham, I'm sure this time around will be different.

I lost my first veiled to mbd. The breeder did not explain to me the importance of uvb lights. He was only 6 months. I researched before I bought anymore. I have succesfully hatched 6 clutches and one incubating now. I send a care sheet with the babies to their new home so the new owners will not be sad when they lose their baby like I was. Do not give up. It is amazing when you see the little critters in the incubator after waitng 8 months. You think I cannot beleive I hatched this little life. Waldo will always have a special place in my heart.

Hydro

I lost my first veiled to mbd. The breeder did not explain to me the importance of uvb lights. He was only 6 months. I researched before I bought anymore. I have succesfully hatched 6 clutches and one incubating now. I send a care sheet with the babies to their new home so the new owners will not be sad when they lose their baby like I was. Do not give up. It is amazing when you see the little critters in the incubator after waitng 8 months. You think I cannot beleive I hatched this little life. Waldo will always have a special place in my heart.

Hi Cookiegirl,

My little guy was 6 months old too. It's amazing how quickly he went downhill, :( I guess between his MBD and the handling he just gave up on living. I tried everything to make him comfortable I just hope he didn't suffer. I have been speaking with Vincent @ Screameleons :) and I will be getting another Panther Cham. I don't know if I should get an another ambilobe panther or ambanja panther, :confused: it's a hard decision cause they are all beautiful. :D

I feel your pain, I just lost my baby jackson, the vets couldn't diagnose except she would just refuse to eat or drink...so 2 days after syringe feeding and syringe watering she passed away....hang in there it sucks but with baby chams you just never know

I feel your pain, I just lost my baby jackson, the vets couldn't diagnose except she would just refuse to eat or drink...so 2 days after syringe feeding and syringe watering she passed away....hang in there it sucks but with baby chams you just never know

Hi Mcflow,

Not only does it suck, but you feel helpless cause you don't know what else to do or how to make them comfortable :( My baby kept opening his mouth like he was gasping for air and his head would shake, I would cry everytime I saw him because I wanted to make him better and I didn't know how. My comfort now is knowing that he's in a better place not suffering. I will be getting another chameleon soon and I will try again. Wish me luck

Back
Top Bottom