Hydration, the Importance of

Sandra,

I think it came out great, lots of useful information, no bs straight to the point. Great job! ;)

I did see a word mix up at the bottom, I'm guessing you wanted to use the word "Hours" instead of "house". That was about it. :eek:;)

what are the signs of dehydration?

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to add to it, with what to watch for - signs that might indicate dehydration. I have poop pictures, good and bad. What I dont have is a picture of sunken eyes - anyone want to share with me? Preferably I'd have a pic of an animal in good condition, as well as a photo of same animal with sunken eyes. But who has that!? well not me anyhow.

Are there any other indications of dehydration?
urate colour
sunken eyes
maybe lethargy and poor appetite?
other?

thanks for the help

I dont charge for them. I give them to people who buy chameleons from me (on those rare occassions where I have bred chams and have had animals for sale). Its more for my peace of mind than anything - I need to feel like I've done my best to ensure a good home for the little suckers, so I talk and talk and talk and suggest and suggest and screen out willing buyers if I have a bad "feeling" and give those who do buy them this little Care.pdf

I wonder if it would be okay to use those pictures of sunken eyes. I dont like to step on copyrite toes....

Last edited:
signs of dehydration- sunken eyes, unnatural/odd wrinkles, or skin folds, lethargic behavior, and if you use moss of other humidity holding devices in the bottom for substrate then the may lay, burrow, or even eat the moss to regain fluids. they instinctly should want to eat since most foods contain some trace amount of fluids.

also automated misting at an actual reasonable price should be added through devices such as these -http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=320 (the habba mist system from zoomed) And one other thing about misting. not all chameleons can handle it for instance it stresses mine out to much, and since he has constant humidity, and a natural constant flowing water source over leaves, and a huge big rock he drinks from that and washes his eyes in it. i use tuff, or hydroballs to filter the water like a aquifer so that he has clean water. also test it for NH4 once a week to make sure the balls dont need cleaned, but the system is rather elaborate, and a pain to clean which is why the habba mister is lovely since you can use the directional head to mist the branches instead of the cham. this also has time spent misting, and interval setup mists. lot of typing, but hope you can pull some info from it :)

Is there any reason I shouldn't be running a dripper 24/7? As long as I change out the water every couple of days.

My plant is in a bonsai pot, so the water tends to drain very well, which then drips into a giant collection pan under the cage. So root rot is at a minimum, which I can see the only reason to not run a dripper at most times.

I tend to wake up in the late mornings on weekends, and I'd rather give him an option to drink instead of waiting on my lazy butt.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Is there any reason I shouldn't be running a dripper 24/7? As long as I change out the water every couple of days.

My plant is in a bonsai pot, so the water tends to drain very well, which then drips into a giant collection pan under the cage. So root rot is at a minimum, which I can see the only reason to not run a dripper at most times.

I tend to wake up in the late mornings on weekends, and I'd rather give him an option to drink instead of waiting on my lazy butt.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I don't see the need to run it while they sleep. But I see what you mean.;)

I run drippers about 2 hours after the "morning soak" and they run for about 2 hours or so I then come home and soak again and run the drippers for about an hour before bed.

I wish I could just sleep in and not worry but my chams sadly own me and I am just thier butler........:eek::D

-Jay

Back
Top Bottom