Hydration Systems

Yak

Hello everyone,
I want to touch on a subject regarding Hydration. So far I’ve been misting my babies by hand, which they seem to enjoy, however I plan to take a vacation next December, and want to make sure my chams will be fine, with the least amount of supervision, providing them with proper care.
I have been reading on various systems, including
1) MistKing
2) AquaZamp
3) Promist
4) MoonZoom
I have been reading several threads across the net, about the pros and cons regarding each system, and perhaps someone comes up with some real insight and technical experience.
I must say, I sent an email to Marty to see is he was going to be at the Herp Expo in San Jose, last Saturday (7/20/13) and he responded the same day, indicating that we would not. That’s great customer service.
At the show I had the chance to witness the AquaZamp system in action. There was a man and a woman, both busy giving demonstrations and selling their product. I believe they had a promotion going they seem overwhelmed thus making them a little bit on the rude and short side, I understood that part. What I didn’t understand was, when I asked how would their system compared to the MistKing, her response was, “our product is made in the USA, they use a cheap pump made in China”
In my opinion that was unacceptable, because, iPhones are also made in China, heck, what isn’t made in China these days? I have a dodge SUV and a Honda, I find myself driving the Honda more often, because it doesn’t break down as often and because I get 35MPG vs. the whooping 13mpg!
Don’t get me wrong! I love the USA and in a perfect world our government should procure a better economy. But in reality, performance and the hard earn dollar appropriation is where is at. At least in my household.
I also said to myself, if in person they are rude, how much worse they will be on the phone (that is if you are even able to reach them).
So I held back, even at their promo price, which was tempting. I would like to hear your experience and any insight, beyond the superficial.
In addition I am open to any "home-made" systems, for example I have a pond pump, and a small sprinkler head used for garden irrigation.

Thanks everyone.:):confused:

i own many mistkings and i'm very happy w/ the product, customer service and the price of the products. i support marty and his products all the way. great write up marty!

Last edited by a moderator:
The AquaZamp system takes too much room on an already crowded top area, IMHO. I just ran my mistking pump 1/4 inch hose into my cage, and put 24 inches of 1/4 inch soaker hose on the end with a plug in the end of the soaker hose. The hose and plugs are sold at Lowes.
I wrap the soaker hose through the upper branches, and it works well.

Marty has the best reputation in the business, bar none. Negative sales approaches by any company are never needed, and are often used when the company can't compare to who they bash.

Based on research and his customer service I would have bought one but, I got a Monsoon RS 400 for almost free off Ebay. I will run that in to the ground then buy a Mistking.

The AquaZamp system takes too much room on an already crowded top area, IMHO. I just ran my mistking pump 1/4 inch hose into my cage, and put 24 inches of 1/4 inch soaker hose on the end with a plug in the end of the soaker hose. The hose and plugs are sold at Lowes.
I wrap the soaker hose through the upper branches, and it works well.

Marty has the best reputation in the business, bar none. Negative sales approaches by any company are never needed, and are often used when the company can't compare to who they bash.
What are you comparing exactly? I thought they were close enough in design where they would take the same amount of space?

Thank you for your fast response, Marty. I can tell you have class as well as a solid foundation for any argument regarding your product.
I’ve noticed they (AZ) had something that resembles an inverted Plastic Plaster Pan, something I suppose they charge premium dollar for it. (With their attitude I was afraid to even ask) A mini dome to create a “rain” effect. Personally I saw water all over in big droplets instead of the fine mist, thus defeating the purpose of a misting system, since I can create that effect by simply punching a few holes in a milk gallon set over the top.
How about ProMist? Anyone has some insight?

Full disclosure: Kevin and Renee from AquaZamp are friends of mine. Also, I have no experience with Mistking or Promist. I do have a Monsoon because I was given one but I have had a lot of issues with it and don't really recommend it.

I met Kevin a few years ago when I was looking into buying a misting system as I had too many chameleons to continue hand misting.

When I discovered AquaZamp was located close to me I decided to buy from them. Kevin has always been easy to deal with, offered me a great deal and has continued offer me great deals as I've expanded my system due to my continued acquisition of chameleons.

The AquaZamp booth at shows is usually pretty crowded at the shows I've been to. If you are going to judge someone for perceived rudeness because they are busy at a show, well, I can name a few site sponsors that are well-respected on here but are terrible at shows and in person (busy or not). We also plan to do a show this fall and while I hope I am not rude in any way, I know how things can get when one is busy and trying to please everyone.

For those that may not know it, Kevin also keeps chameleons. He has offered me advice many times on melleri keeping and numerous other chameleon issues and questions. And, he has hosted numerous meetings of the South Bay Chameleon Keepers club at his place until he recently moved.

Overall I am very pleased with the AquaZamp System. I have been using it heavily for a few years - I have 20-some adult chameleons and close to 100 babies currently. I also have 8 melleri that are misted for long periods daily. It's still working. That makes me happy.

“our product is made in the USA, they use a cheap pump made in China”
In my opinion that was unacceptable, because, iPhones are also made in China, heck, what isn’t made in China these days? I have a dodge SUV and a Honda, I find myself driving the Honda more often,
Just for the record. I don't think China makes a car. Yet.;)on the US market. But that's what makes the US great. That you have choices.

Last edited:
I wasn't really sure how to respond to your original questions. I think we get hung up with technical dilemmas and consumer choices too fast and sort of lose track of the original basic need...

Over the years I've used various methods from home made to complete systems to supply water. They all have advantages and disadvantages but most work. So much of the choice you make will depend on your specific situation. Before MistKing, Aquazamp, and some of the other auto misters we talk about here, there were the Ecologic Technology Rainmakers. Basically the same idea: a high pressure pump with a repeating timer control, a 5 gallon reservoir, high pressure tubing and nozzles of varying sizes. Before that was the basic manual hand pump spray bottle. They are cheap and they work as long as you happen to be present to squeeze the handle. You can buy perforated aquarium tubing, coil it around the top of a cham cage and siphon water through them from a bucket overhead. You can make a DIY system out of a patio mister on a garden hose. You can even buy plain tubing and punch all the little holes in it yourself. There's the old classic container with holes punched in the bottom or even the melting ice cube drip.
All sorts of ideas.

The most basic point is to create droplets running off or hanging from cage plant leaves or other surfaces so your cham can drink, and to hold moisture for evaporation that raises the ambient humidity. The systems you listed do this in various ways...either by fine mist that eventually flows into larger droplets, or by larger droplets directly. Ultrasonic foggers would do this too if you ran them for hours (not a great idea and not necessary). But, set up well they will all do what you want as long as you have enough surfaces to catch, guide, or hold the water before it drains to the bottom of the cage. The best system in the world won't do it right if you don't have your cage set up with foliage.

Pick one! If it doesn't do just what you hoped, you'll have to try something else.

Last edited:
home made

I use a 2 gal, pump up sprayer, with tubing and sprinkler drip line heads and spliters , pump it up and runs most of the day, just use new sprayer,and filter the water before you put it in the tank,works great ,cost apx40 buck for all the parts, at lowes, and it waters 5 chameleons ,with 1 gal of water , thanks for reading Eric

Your pond pump idea won't work for a misting system, and the even the smallest sprinkler head will flood everything because they are too high of flow, ask me how I know.:eek:

I built a DIY system with a 12V diaphragm pump off e-bay for $23 shipped, an old laptop power supply, some 1/4" poly drip tubing and nozzles used for misting produce. Reservoir is a 5 gallon bucket that cat litter came in. Timer is a minutes timer from Lowes. It comes to about $40 worth, but a lot of time figuring it out and piecing it together.

Just for the record. I don't think China makes a car. Yet.;)on the US market. But that's what makes the US great. That you have choices.

Hello,
I realize, it was a metaphor indicating that the origin of a particular product doesn't matter when comparing performance. As long as its made in planet earth, and works well, no need to use "china" as means of bashing someone else's equipment. For the sake of argument Honda is made in Ohio, and yes there are cars produced in China, it’s too early to dismiss the possibilities of Chinese cars on American roads. Don’t laugh -- there was a time when nobody thought Japan could do it, either.

(speaking in tonges: HondaYamahaSusukiKawasaki!):p

Before I write another word, I want to apologize if my post sparked a sense of antagonism at all, or any other polemic arguments, that was not my intention.

Also please note my introduction:

I want to touch on a subject regarding Hydration. So far I’ve been misting my babies by hand, which they seem to enjoy, however I plan to take a vacation next December, and want to make sure my chams will be fine, with the least amount of supervision, providing them with proper care.

I want to thank each and one of you for your sincere response. My need is genuine, and I want to prepare ahead since I have about five months before going on my trip.

I will have some one to do rounds daily to check up on them, but I know they will not be able to receive the personal care, with manual sprays.

Thank you all.

Your pond pump idea won't work for a misting system, and the even the smallest sprinkler head will flood everything because they are too high of flow, ask me how I know.:eek:

Ah, sounds like a STORY here!

I had what I thought was a great idea for my melleri free range. Bought one of those hanging plant watering wands with coiled hose, attached it to my bathroom sink faucet, and trailed the hose across the house. It worked OK, but I found I could not leave the hose on the floor in between spraying sessions. The melleri were convinced it was a snake...and they spent an incredible amount of their time displaying, threatening, puffing and ear flapping at it unless I coiled the entire thing up again and hid it. So much for time saving.

I just want to chime in one this... sounds a lot like a 1st impression (like me) About 2yrs ago (the year Nigel Marvin was the guest speaker) I was in the market for a misting system, to make my life a little easier. I was at the san jose show ready to buy. There were 2 vendors, and I had questions. I went to one asked a few, watched the demo and was really impressed. I went to the other vendor asked pretty much the same questions and barely got an answer. I got passed up for some lady in a summer dress (mind you in the middle of the conversation) I patiently waited and he never returned. Needless to say I went to the other vendor and never looked back.

Now this years show was very busy, which is great to see. I haven't seen a crowd like this since it was held in San Mateo, which was years ago. There were a lot of lookers present this year. The Aquazamp table had just as big a crowd as the other vendors, I think he had more people there because of his chams being out and people were able to get up close to them. So to say that they were rude in my opinion and basing future support is unfair and uncalled for. Aquazamp has always been there supporting the product(s) I've purchased from him. Hell he's even supported products that ARE NOT his. I can recall many threads in other forums about mist king failures; everything from pumps failing, to mist heads, valves etc etc etc. Search the interweb and you should be able to find them. There are also many threads of brand X vs brand Y.... Ford vs Chevy, Honda vs Toyota... they are all over. But I can tell you, your impression of Aquazamp and potential bad service is completely wrong.

Bottom line pick a system that works for you and stick with it, support it blah blah blah...

What are you comparing exactly? I thought they were close enough in design where they would take the same amount of space?

Brad,

My 1/4 inch soaker hose is INSIDE the cage, wrapped around my top branches. So I have only my basking light and UVB light on the top.

So my point is the Aquazamp is too big on the top, and the soaker hose doesn't impact the top of the cage for placement of light fixtures.:D

Nick

Last edited:
I just want to chime in one this... sounds a lot like a 1st impression (like me) About 2yrs ago (the year Nigel Marvin was the guest speaker) I was in the market for a misting system, to make my life a little easier. I was at the san jose show ready to buy. There were 2 vendors, and I had questions. I went to one asked a few, watched the demo and was really impressed. I went to the other vendor asked pretty much the same questions and barely got an answer. I got passed up for some lady in a summer dress (mind you in the middle of the conversation) I patiently waited and he never returned. Needless to say I went to the other vendor and never looked back.

Now this years show was very busy, which is great to see. I haven't seen a crowd like this since it was held in San Mateo, which was years ago. There were a lot of lookers present this year. The Aquazamp table had just as big a crowd as the other vendors, I think he had more people there because of his chams being out and people were able to get up close to them. So to say that they were rude in my opinion and basing future support is unfair and uncalled for. Aquazamp has always been there supporting the product(s) I've purchased from him. Hell he's even supported products that ARE NOT his. I can recall many threads in other forums about mist king failures; everything from pumps failing, to mist heads, valves etc etc etc. Search the interweb and you should be able to find them. There are also many threads of brand X vs brand Y.... Ford vs Chevy, Honda vs Toyota... they are all over. But I can tell you, your impression of Aquazamp and potential bad service is completely wrong.

Bottom line pick a system that works for you and stick with it, support it blah blah blah...

Hey RAP66,
Thank you for sharing YOUR experience with AquaZamp, I am happy for you. If your impression of my impression is wrong, so be it.
BTW I couldn’t help noticing your endorsement, so I guess is one of those YMMV cases. Glad to see someone is sticking something. Blah blah blah.

I built a DIY system with a 12V diaphragm pump off e-bay for $23 shipped, an old laptop power supply, some 1/4" poly drip tubing and nozzles used for misting produce. Reservoir is a 5 gallon bucket that cat litter came in. Timer is a minutes timer from Lowes. It comes to about $40 worth, but a lot of time figuring it out and piecing it together.

Hi Mike,
I’m glad I did not pursuit the idea of the pond pump, based on your experience that plan is aborted. I think I’m going to wait on the comments in reference to the systems already out on the market. After all they are proven to work.
I mean, If I’m around there’s no problem because I can always make adjustments, but the whole thing is I will be thousands of miles away, the last thing I need is something failing on me, by saving a few bucks I’ll end up with floor damage or worse, putting the at risk the health of my precious chameleons.
I appreciate your input and objectivity.

Cheers!
So far I am truly impressed with MistKing

Back
Top Bottom