Hydration/Misting

Wumbo

I’ve done a lot of research for chameleons and it’s a lot of mixed information. I found this and it seems like the opposite of what I’ve been told. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• AF0B73CB-3291-49E1-9522-DB3694BE9404.jpeg
    AF0B73CB-3291-49E1-9522-DB3694BE9404.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 41
From the Chameleon group on Reddit I'm assuming? I'd recommend checking Bill Strand's podcast that covers the merits/pitfalls of cup drinking:

Yes lol I never use Reddit, but my partner said I should look into it and saw this. Thanks for the recommendation, I like how that was covered directly!

A glass with water would be standing water , chameleons don't usually drink from standing water ,just not natural

A glass with water would be standing water , chameleons don't usually drink from standing water ,just not natural
Definitely makes sense and I know my goal is to replicate as close to their natural environment as possible. I was surprised to see people recommending otherwise.

Myself I found fogging is the only hydration you need . My Parsons don’t drink. They do get fog from 11 o’clock until 5 o’clock in the morning at 99 to 100%. Humidity. Do I still have them on the morning and afternoon Misting they no longer use this opportunity to drink all the hydration comes from the fogging at night

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwdehHLcSzM

Last edited:
Myself I found fogging is the only hydration you need . My Parsons don’t drink. They do get fog from 11 o’clock until 5 o’clock in the morning at 99 to 100%. Humidity. Do I still have them on the morning and afternoon Misting they no longer use this opportunity to drink all the hydration comes from the fogging at night

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwdehHLcSzM
Interesting, but not for all species I would presume, like it doesn't always rain but it isn't always foggy , can't open the link . Do you mist for your plants ? How can you be sure that they/ chams don't drink after misting, not convinced at all ( and I personally would not recommend that a person really on this as the only source of hydration, in my opinion, the more sources the better , as dehydration is up there with the common causes of death

Interesting, but not for all species I would presume, like it doesn't always rain but it isn't always foggy , can't open the link . Do you mist for your plants ? How can you be sure that they/ chams don't drink after misting, not convinced at all ( and I personally would not recommend that a person really on this as the only source of hydration, in my opinion, the more sources the better , as dehydration is up there with the common causes of death
I might agree . But generally in Madagascar, the fog always comes in at night. You’re right they have a dry season and a rainy season. Which leads you to wonder how they stay hydrated during the dry season? This is just my opinion. I’m not saying it’s advice. I’m just telling you what I do . I have cameras I watch them. That’s how I know they don’t drink. . Maybe once or twice a week my female will take water from the misting system. But my animals are well hydrated. Let me try the link again.

And these are some my kids been on this regiment for over a year

Attachments

• A30619FA-801E-4EFD-9775-F5B97F87F6E1.jpeg
    A30619FA-801E-4EFD-9775-F5B97F87F6E1.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 3182E7D7-619B-492A-BC06-577D7DE772C4.jpeg
    3182E7D7-619B-492A-BC06-577D7DE772C4.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 28
  • EBD9C70A-43BD-4918-A5ED-CDDE9DE546D5.jpeg
    EBD9C70A-43BD-4918-A5ED-CDDE9DE546D5.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 8735C164-8C02-4045-B757-E34F21C0EC2B.jpeg
    8735C164-8C02-4045-B757-E34F21C0EC2B.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I might agree . But generally in Madagascar, the fog always comes in at night. You’re right they have a dry season and a rainy season. Which leads you to wonder how they stay hydrated during the dry season? This is just my opinion. I’m not saying it’s advice. I’m just telling you what I do . I have cameras I watch them. That’s how I know they don’t drink. . Maybe once or twice a week my female will take water from the misting system. But my animals are well hydrated. Let me try the link again.

Well I’m sold on it 😆

Well I’m sold on it 😆
You and I both had the same issue when first starting our Panthers on it . But I was speaking with bill and petr. And this I think it’s where the community is headed. It just makes sense if you watch the weather patterns like I do in Madagascar. Having an open mind and using a little common sense. I would think most would come to the same conclusion. Petr has never seen a chameleon drink in the wild. And he spent many years studying them up close and personal. 🤷‍♂️ I feel we’re on the right path🥰

You and I both had the same issue when first starting our Panthers on it . But I was speaking with bill and petr. And this I think it’s where the community is headed. It just makes sense if you watch the weather patterns like I do in Madagascar. Having an open mind and using a little common sense. I would think most would come to the same conclusion. Petr has never seen a chameleon drink in the wild. And he spent many years studying them up close and personal. 🤷‍♂️ I feel we’re on the right path🥰
Agreed!

Very interesting thanks for sharing, I'm glad this was the first group I joined, I have always used a fogger at night, but would not have presumed that it may be a higher percentage of hydration than I originally thought, ( another group in the uk does not recommend foggers for panthers) but I always checked the humidity in Madagascar, and it only made common sense to use one ( obviously properly) I use a govee mini to see when it's the coldest part of the night to run. How do you run yours ? Do you use any hygrostat or what routine

Very interesting thanks for sharing, I'm glad this was the first group I joined, I have always used a fogger at night, but would not have presumed that it may be a higher percentage of hydration than I originally thought, ( another group in the uk does not recommend foggers for panthers) but I always checked the humidity in Madagascar, and it only made common sense to use one ( obviously properly) I use a govee mini to see when it's the coldest part of the night to run. How do you run yours ? Do you use any hygrostat or what routine
I also have a hydrostat6 not super happy with it Programming was kind of a pain in the butt. I’m lucky enough that my temperatures in the house almost every night reach between 62 and 65. The winter time the heater kicks on at anything below 62. And during the summer, my AC will kick on anything over 70 . Nighttime humidity 95 to 100% daytime humidity stays between 45 and 60 . I also have a mist king humidity sensor that will kick the misters on during the day if humidity gets too low, so far it hasn’t been needed. I start my fogging around 11 o’clock. Most of the time I get up for work around three so I’m able to see that everything’s working. I will close the entire environments up before bed (they’re hybrids with acrylic doors that open and close trapping all fog inside ) when foggers kick on my humidity will go up to 95 to 100% temperatures are usually 65 or below would not recommend anything higher ) Then when I get up for work around three, I will open the doors or at least crack them. Allowing some of the fog to come out, which also helps provide airflow later in the day .the fogger will kick off at four. And my morning light or basking lamp kicks on at six. By eight my UVB kicks on by 10 my daylight jungle Dawns come on , at 7 am I do a one minute mist . At 10 o’clock I have circulation fans that kick on that will run until 8 o’clock at night which will dry out the entire environment. at 5 o’clock. My lights will reverse daylights going off first UVB and then basking. Trying to simulate sunrise and sunset. At six pm my misters will kick on for three minutes. Doors get closed about eight fogger will kick on again at 11. So they do have an opportunity to drink if they want. But it’s just not the case. So with that being said, my Parsons win first bringing them home, always drank and now my female still takes an opportunity every once in a while, but my males don't , and my panther has never drank since I’ve owned him. He’s always been well hydrated . Not to be taken as science, because of course, weather patterns change on and off but as a general reference, here’s some readings from Madagascar in late afternoon.

Attachments

• 161E7CD9-F010-408A-B360-BE3EA3DD971D.jpeg
    161E7CD9-F010-408A-B360-BE3EA3DD971D.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I know this is not welcome information in the community since a lot of people have found Misting to be their way of getting hydration and watching an animal drink seems to be the norm for most people . But after listening to Petr who’s actually spent countless hours and years in the environment which chameleons live and has never once witnessed one drinking . And I myself have been doing this for over a year. Before I even knew about his observation till recently and witnessed the same thing . I’m convinced this will become the new norm. It will just take breeders and keepers time to come around to this way of thinking . There is a lot of pushback. Especially when what you’re doing is working and that is fine. You do you all do me.

Back
Top Bottom