Husbandry Upgrade

BugMunch

I upgraded my enclosure to a 2 x 2 x 4, and added the correct bulbs, got a homemade feeder and dripper installed, and added some live plants(I will get some more for up top, maybe some ivy plants?). Please let me know how it looks(for now) and if I've forgotten anything.... thanks!
15815486560881479054757788841266.jpg
IMG_20200212_154415045.jpg
15815486560881479054757788841266.jpg
IMG_20200212_154415045.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_171047130.jpg
    IMG_20200212_171047130.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 98
I second on adding more horizontal branches/foliage closer to the uvb and basking area. Also I noticed your little guy hanging upside down under the lights this is typical behavior for young chameleons. I’m pointing this out because I’d suggest finding a way to raise your basking light so it’s not sitting directly on the screentop. Chances of burning him with it sitting directly on the screen. How are you measuring your temps and humidity I didnt notice any gauges in the pictures?

I second on adding more horizontal branches/foliage closer to the uvb and basking area. Also I noticed your little guy hanging upside down under the lights this is typical behavior for young chameleons. I’m pointing this out because I’d suggest finding a way to raise your basking light so it’s not sitting directly on the screentop. Chances of burning him with it sitting directly on the screen. How are you measuring your temps and humidity I didnt notice any gauges in the pictures?
I have a temp gun for measuring the temps throughout the enclosure, haven't gotten a gauge for humidity yet.

I have some wooden dowels I was going to use... Would that be ok, or are branches safer?
wooden dowels can be very smooth and slippery, i suggest using branches because its better for the chameleons feet to have different diameter branches and different textures.

I upgraded my enclosure to a 2 x 2 x 4, and added the correct bulbs, got a homemade feeder and dripper installed, and added some live plants(I will get some more for up top, maybe some ivy plants?). Please let me know how it looks(for now) and if I've forgotten anything.... thanks! View attachment 258457View attachment 258458View attachment 258457View attachment 258458
Really like your custom feeder. Gonna have to steal your idea lol can you post a picture of your dripper?

I believe I have heard ivy is poisonous to chams. Here is a list of Cham safe plants.

https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
I'd skip the ivy and opt for a golden pothos or wandering jew if the vine effect is what you're going after. My pothos was a very slow grower in my enclosure tho, even with an Arcadia quad t5 honwith plant bulb in it. The wandering jew however, thrived. The with the wandering jew you have to go in and guis the different shoots in the direction you want them to. If you wait too long they get knotted up and tend to snap when moving em.

I believe I have heard ivy is poisonous to chams. Here is a list of Cham safe plants.

https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

I think this is overblown. I use to be a firm proponent to using Ivy as well.

Tons of people have their sticks on ivy diets with no effects to Chams. Ivy is toxic for the same reason that Pothos is, English Ivy, Devil's Ivy (Pothos), both should be fine.

I think this is overblown. I use to be a firm proponent to using Ivy as well.

Tons of people have their sticks on ivy diets with no effects to Chams. Ivy is toxic for the same reason that Pothos is, English Ivy, Devil's Ivy (Pothos), both should be fine.

ya I tend to take the poisonous plants thing with a grain of salt since the data is more for cats and dogs.

you know way more about plants then I do. I believe they are considered toxic because they are in the nightshade family? I could be way wrong on this.

ya I tend to take the poisonous plants thing with a grain of salt since the data is more for cats and dogs.

you know way more about plants then I do. I believe they are considered toxic because they are in the nightshade family? I could be way wrong on this.

No, nightshade is defiantly 100% poison, do not use nightshade. Nightshade produces harmful alkaloids, as well as Nicotine. All Nightshade produces both, Nicotine even is found in Tomatoes, and Egg Plants. A single Drop, of pure concentrated nicotine will stop a humans heart in minutes, dont even need to be consumed, it can soak into the skin and cause your heart to stop.

The fear from Pothos is Oxaltes, which are a calcium blocker. Ivy has something else going on, some kind of irritant, that can cause itching in humans and upset stomach in animals.

However, as you said, that is based on Cats and Dogs, I have always heard that Birds are the best closest to reptiles in matters such as these. Birds have no toxic reaction to Ivy. I still dont trust that, however lots of folks, feed their stick insects straight English Ivy, and feed those to their chams with no ill effects. So I think its probably fine to have Ivy, as long as the Chameleon in question isn't going to munch it down. If you notice a skin irritation issue, where the cham avoids touching the ivy, or going near it, then remove it.

Back
Top Bottom