Husbandry check

Gotcha. I follow Bill Strand and he recommends a 3-6 uvb. I’d imagine with my basking branch at 6 inches below it’s in the range of 3-6 but above 3. So with Bemans research does she find that a uvi above 3 is harmful or that’s simply the minimum requirement?
I believe she thinks that’s optimal. She’s not a real expert, she’s just done a lot of research into it. When you say Bill recommends a 3-6 uvb, what do you mean, a 3-6 uvi?

If you read Bill Strands basics then under uvb for chameleons he talks about what uvb levels there are throughout the day in the wild. He says that during the middle of the day when the uvi is at the highest, chameleons hide from it in the foliage because its too high. I follow a lot of what Bill Strand recommends as well because he raises Jackson’s which is what I have. I’ve gone Through and read a lot of his classes on chameleon academy and they’re great.

Thank you for the advice. Would it be best to shut the plant light off for a few days until I get a new one shipped or just leave it for another few more days until I get a better one?
I would leave it for just a few days. Quite a bit in the archives on colored lights.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1609843/?q=red+lights&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1609845/?q=blue+lights&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

If you're handy with electronics, you can build a UVI meter for less than $50.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=diy+uvi+meter

Gotcha. I follow Bill Strand and he recommends a 3-6 uvb.
I'd stick with that for now.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

Happy to say I have ordered the plant light recommended to me by Klyde. My heat light is raised a couple inches and pointed at an angle toward the uvb. And upon further inspection about the uvb levels the closest basking branches are 8-9 inches from the top. I was wrong when I said it was 6 inches but what I meant to say is that it’s 6 inches away from my chameleons back when he’s on the highest basking branch. I’ll continue to monitor the temperature to keep it below 90. His led light is turned off and the new one is one the way. I really appreciate everyone’s comments and help!

Happy to say I have ordered the plant light recommended to me by Klyde. My heat light is raised a couple inches and pointed at an angle toward the uvb. And upon further inspection about the uvb levels the closest basking branches are 8-9 inches from the top. I was wrong when I said it was 6 inches but what I meant to say is that it’s 6 inches away from my chameleons back when he’s on the highest basking branch. I’ll continue to monitor the temperature to keep it below 90. His led light is turned off and the new one is one the way. I really appreciate everyone’s
There's an old saying from an old song... How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm After They've Seen Paree?

Once my male panther had gotten out to explore once or twice, he began charging me whenever the door was open. Normal enough once other possibilities have been eliminated (and I'm not seeing any glaring issues aside from basking temp being on the high side).

This is the plant light many of us use:
https://www.sansiled.com/products/70w-led-grow-light
Sansi coupons

Some gape; others just move to a cooler location.
Either way, here's the best care sheet we know of:
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

I'd also suggest the Husbandry Program on the same site.

Lowering basking temp is a simple matter of raising the light a couple/few inches & monitoring the temp. If it doesn't work out or there are problems, it should be easy enough to move it back. ;)
I did get this led light. Do I need to worry about heat emitting from the led?

Attachments

• 09F859F8-C75F-4951-BACD-A96E4ADBE0FE.jpeg
    09F859F8-C75F-4951-BACD-A96E4ADBE0FE.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 105
I did get this led light. Do I need to worry about heat emitting from the led?
I haven't had any problems with that—even during GP's ceiling-climbing phase.
The vast majority of heat rises. I have mine elevated less than an inch (so as not to warp the screen from the weight) and I can keep the back of my hand against the screen directly under the lights indefinitely.

Here are a couple of ways I've mounted them, but they're quite flexible with mounting options.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1600595

I haven't had any problems with that—even during GP's ceiling-climbing phase.
The vast majority of heat rises. I have mine elevated less than an inch (so as not to warp the screen from the weight) and I can keep the back of my hand against the screen directly under the lights indefinitely.

Here are a couple of ways I've mounted them, but they're quite flexible with mounting options.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1600595
E356C5C0-4A9E-42DC-B674-B4EFDB44A726.jpeg

I just installed the new led it’s super bright and looks great. I also made adjustments to the cage and the hot spot is 83

View attachment 318835
I just installed the new led it’s super bright and looks great. I also made adjustments to the cage and the hot spot is 83
(y) (y) With that arrangement, you may find your cham basking (or trying to) under the Sansi plant light. If that happens, I would rearrange so that both basking & plant light are on the same side of the UVB, and angle the basking light to shine on a basking site under the plant light.

1643032993347.png

It looks to me like you have a 24" UVB, which is perfect. However, if it happens to be 30" or 36", the same light arrangement should work (though it may take a little more fussing).

1643034330390.png

(y) (y) With that arrangement, you may find your cham basking (or trying to) under the Sansi plant light. If that happens, I would rearrange so that both basking & plant light are on the same side of the UVB, and angle the basking light to shine on a basking site under the plant light.

It looks to me like you have a 24" UVB, which is perfect. However, if it happens to be 30" or 36", the same light arrangement should work (though it may take a little more fussing).

I’ll rearrange to match the first light setup. I think that will be the best layout for my setup

You were absolutely right. I got home from work and he was trying to bask under the plant light. I have everything adjusted, now I just need to monitor temperature but I think it should be a good setup how I have it now. I can’t thank you enough for your time and guidance for the proper light setup! Thank you!
image.jpg

Just want to mention that after the light changes he still continue to want to escape and hangout outside of his cage. Is it safe to say there’s nothing wrong with his enclosure and he just wants to explore?

Is your uvb light and basking light arranged directly over his basking branch? That’s where it needs to be. Also it’s best to tilt your basking light up on your uvb light not the plant light. Your Cham will go where the light is warm which should be the basking light. You may need to lift the plant light up off the screen because it will make temps too hot in the enclosure. That’s what I had to do . I got a wire basket from tjmax and set my plant light on top of that. I’ll include a picure of my light configuration. There’s the basking light tipped up on the edge of the uvb light and the plant light is behind the uvb light on top of the wire basket. I guess I don’t have a picture of the plant light.

Attachments

• 6987B1F0-1F88-4248-8FA4-A63E05115448.jpeg
    6987B1F0-1F88-4248-8FA4-A63E05115448.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Also those bendy vines are known to cause problems with chams eyes because the lights degrade the coating on them over time and they start to break up then the chams get it in their eyes and it causes problems. It’s best to remove them and replace with real branches.

Yeah having a bit more plants to hide in is a goal of mine. I don’t have a lot more room to add a tree or anything. I have an assortment of plants like pothos and a fern planted at the bottom that has yet to take over the cage like I want. I’m just kinda waiting for plants to grow in. And the philodendron in the top corner is starting to grow nicely and take up room but I’d like it to be a bit more thick. I’m hoping the new plant light will help with that. The led goes a good job at not producing high heat from what I’ve monitored the last 24 hours. I’ll adjust the lights again and come up with a better position for the uvb. I had no idea the fake vines could cause trouble. The problem right now is the vines are helping support most the branches lol so it’s going to be a challenge to take them all out. I will definitely get the vines replaced as soon as possible but it maybe a couple weeks until that’s possible.

Is your uvb light and basking light arranged directly over his basking branch? That’s where it needs to be. Also it’s best to tilt your basking light up on your uvb light not the plant light. Your Cham will go where the light is warm which should be the basking light. You may need to lift the plant light up off the screen because it will make temps too hot in the enclosure. That’s what I had to do . I got a wire basket from tjmax and set my plant light on top of that. I’ll include a picure of my light configuration. There’s the basking light tipped up on the edge of the uvb light and the plant light is behind the uvb light on top of the wire basket. I guess I don’t have a picture of the plant light.
image.jpg

Does this light setup look better? My uvb doesn’t reach the entire setup when diagonal. Is that okay?

Just want to mention that after the light changes he still continue to want to escape and hangout outside of his cage. Is it safe to say there’s nothing wrong with his enclosure and he just wants to explore?
Has he ever been out before? If so (as the song goes), How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm After They've Seen Paree?

I would say that if you've eliminated all the husbandry issues that may cause screen climbing, then he just wants to explore, look for a girlfriend, see what's on the other side of that chair, etc.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1614658/?q=reasons+for+screen+climbing&o=relevance

Is your uvb light and basking light arranged directly over his basking branch? That’s where it needs to be. Also it’s best to tilt your basking light up on your uvb light not the plant light. Your Cham will go where the light is warm which should be the basking light.
I'm sorry, this is incorrect. Chameleons will try to bask under the brightest light—not the warmest.

Chance289, The arrangement in post #36 has the basking & plant lights on opposite sides of the UVB again. This can be done, but it's a much longer distance to a basking site under the plant light, so a stronger basking bulb may be needed—it'll depend on the temps.

Yeah having a bit more plants to hide in is a goal of mine. I don’t have a lot more room to add a tree or anything.
I've found it easier to begin with a center piece tree, place other plants, then place branches, etc. around the plants. Then the plants will grow in around the branches.
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

The problem right now is the vines are helping support most the branches lol so it’s going to be a challenge to take them all out.
IMO, this may be the best thing to do. It'll give you room to get a decent sized center piece in there (even if it needs to grow out a bit itself, at least it will be there), get rid of the vines, and re-establish basking and feeding stations to make use of the combined lighting as per post #30.

Hi I’m new to the forums. My chameleons name is Waldo and he is a 8 month ambilobe. He’s very healthy, the only maybe concern is whenever I open the cage he just tries to bolt out! I have a vine outside the cage he likes to hangout on. But I just want to make sure I’m doing every he needs to live long and happy life.Sometimes this can be a sign that he’s not comfy in his enclosure. But sometimes it’s just crazy pardalis shenanigans.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ambilobe, male, 8 months, 5 months in my care.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I only ever handle him to put him back into his cage after he explores outside his cage
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 3 super worms a week fed on the same day, 3-6 crickets daily, wax worms every now and then, hornworms as a treat once a month. Feeders are gut loaded with sweet potatoes, mangoes, and carrots. No greens.Any reason why no greens? It’s in the leafy greens that you get the most calcium. Check out our gutload care image. Also, by a year old, feeding every other day is best.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti calcium no d3 daily, bee pollen twice a week, repashy calcium plus once a week. By most accounts, calcium plus is a twice monthly supplement. I combine bee pollen with the calcium powder
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? 2 minutes misting 6:30 before lights are on, 2 minutes misting 6:30 night lights on, 1 minute misting 8:30 lights off, fogger during the night 2-6 constant fog. I use a dripper once a week at 5 in the evening. Why only once a week? To this day I have only seen my chameleon drink 3-5 times ever.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown and white/orange urate. Plump poop. Never been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I purchased chameleon from a smaller breeder called chromatic chameleons. They seemed extremely legit and the person who helped me was very nice.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 screen
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Lights on 6:45 lights off 6:45. 60 watt basking, 6% Arcadia strip light with a brand new housing, led plant light. Everything goes on and off at the same time however I may change it so the heat light turns off at 6.More info please: how close is your uvb to the basking area? Do you have a solar meter?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot 95. That’s hot! Max 85 is plenty. Middle of cage is 77, lowest portion of cage is 74 during day. Nighttime gets maximum 72 probably dips into mid-high 60s in most areas. I test temperature using a heat probe and high quality heat gun.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Daytime humidity is 50-60. Nightime is 80-99 humidity tested using a heat and humidity probe.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live pothos at bottom which is yet to take over. Thick covering philodendron in a small pot at the top. Assortment of bromeliads and orchids. All live in a bio active cage
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? I have a small fan pointed at the side running 24/7, it’s located in my walk in closet top of the cage is about 6 feet of the ground. Well ventilated and my closet door is always open for airflow. Low traffic area.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Southwest Florida

Back
Top Bottom