hurt veil

Simon1986

hey guys, this is Charlie ive had her nearly a months shes between 5-6 inches long. shes normally happy with a diet of gutloaded crickets, silk worms and 2-3 waxworms a week.

last friday she shed for the first time with me (happened so quick) and there was a little bit left on her head. i noticed last night that it had gone but there was a shiny strip down her veil ive tried taking photos but shes not a fan of my camera

the lad at the reptile shop i purchased her from said that sheds can look wierd burnt im not convinced as i think shes burnt it so ive lowered her vines under her heat lamp ans joined here hoping someone can offer some help and advice as the worry is driving me crazy

Thanks guys simon

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 143
Hello Simon, welcome to the forum :) The pictures are a little blurry but I do think there is a burn there. You can usually find silver sulfadiazine cream (Silvadene) at your local pharmacy or vets, which is a good treatment for burns.

Have you seen the Chameleon care resources section of the forum? - here is a great caresheet for Veileds to start you off - https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

hey thanks for the replies i will try to get some better photos in a sec.

i thought it was a burn and im assuming that it is a result to direct contact to the top of her viv. im wondering should i lower the plants under her lamp and raise the lamp from the top of the tank? to lower the heat transpher onto her tank?

Would it help?

Can this cream be bpought from a normal pharmacy?

more photos

heya managed to get some better photos hope they're clearer

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 183
Off the top of my head I'm not 100% sure as I've just popped out but having examined her cage this morning I have noticed that there are flakes of skin attached to the mesh so I'm thinking that she's rubbed against the mesh which is underneath the ceramic heat lamp, I've lowered the vines under it and raised the lamp above is this a sensible option

Should I seek out a vet?

Thanks for the advice

in my opinion it doesnt look real severe thats your call but what i would do is go to your pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for some over the counter silver cream the other guy told you about youll have to look at his post for the exact name...and make sure the light is nothing higher then 75watt if it is get a 50, 60, or 75 ASAP if its a 75 i would lift it up off the screen so she cant burn herself again but the burn cream will help with the pain and healing

Ok thanks I'm on my way to town now to get the cream but thank you so much for the help and advise and it's nice to know it may not be to severe, and that there's people who will offer help

Hey guys I've tried getting the silver cream and they have never heard of it but they say a product called flamazine which is apparently the same but it's percription only so does anyone have any recommendations?

where do u live?
raising the light above the enclosure is always good.
you are in the right place to get help.
thanks for getting better pics too!

I was just reading over your post and noticed you said ceramic heat emitter. Do you have a basking lamp that actually provides light or do you use the heat emitter for your source of heat?

(hey dom) I live in Redditch im aware of 2 highly recommended vets withing 15-20 miles so if needs be i can get her there.

(hey crocky) i have a ceramic heat admiter not on a lamp post type hook above her viv which keeps the ceramic suspended above the cage. i also have a UV/ visual light combi at the front of her viv, can post pics if needed.

any advise on her burn? the guy at the reptile centre said that it should heal through a couple of sheds as it wasnt a severe raw burn.. he also said about putting sum e45/moisture based cream on the area... as you cant get silver da di dah over the counter... wise move?

in my opinion i would get rid of the heat emitter and get her a regular basking bulb 50-75watt but nothing higher i use 60watt at one basking area and a 50watt at the other basking side cause my cages are large i have never used a heat emitter or seen anyone use them with chams.

My cage at the no is 45 x 45 x 60. Do i just swap the heat emitter bulb for another basking bulb? This may sound silly but how does the temp stay up?

Yes, just use a normal incandescent bulb and reflector style dome fixture.
Your size cage, I would get several watt bulbs, a 40, 60 and 75watt.
Then you will need a digital theromoeter with a wired probe to monitor the temp at the basking spot to determine the right watt bulb to use.
A in-line dimmer switch my also be used to tone a bulb down a bit.

in my opinion i would get rid of the heat emitter and get her a regular basking bulb 50-75watt but nothing higher i use 60watt at one basking area and a 50watt at the other basking side cause my cages are large i have never used a heat emitter or seen anyone use them with chams.

You mean 50w incandescent?? where do you find them? I have been looking for these forever and thought they were no longer made??!!

just an update i took her to the vet today better safe than sorry Charlies been perscribed antibiotics for the next 10 days but should make full recovery as long as infection doesnt settle in but vet said that the burn wasnt a severe as it could have been. thanks for all help and advise

I've always used neosporin if they happen to get too close to a hot bulb. So now I use 60 watt bulbs and they usually work out the best from what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom