HUNGRY

Norbert

Established Member
Anyone else’s chameleon get HUNGRY during shedding? I keep seeing people say their chams get a decrease in appetite when they shed but my boy seems to have gone the complete opposite. He ate all of his normal amount of feeders, plus more. I also gave him some BSFL out of my hand, he’s usually hesitant to eat from my hand but he could hardly wait for my hand to get in the door before he grabbed them. He’s been basking all day and been dark as well. Haven’t seen him drink and haven’t seen him poop since he started showing signs of shedding 2 days ago (moody and dull and face stretching). Is it normal not to poop with increased appetite during a shed? Maybe he’s going in a new spot but he usually poops the same spot every time. Here’s some pics before, during, and after the shed. I’m still watching some bits of skin lingering on the tip of his tail but he seems mostly done.

Attachments

• C726B591-1B0E-4CDB-B497-8725BB035CD4.jpeg
    C726B591-1B0E-4CDB-B497-8725BB035CD4.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DB910E5A-AE26-44B1-B2EF-A2B431CD04FB.jpeg
    DB910E5A-AE26-44B1-B2EF-A2B431CD04FB.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 925E191F-2840-495C-95D3-FFC6DAAB6DE1.jpeg
    925E191F-2840-495C-95D3-FFC6DAAB6DE1.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 77
Anyone else’s chameleon get HUNGRY during shedding? I keep seeing people say their chams get a decrease in appetite when they shed but my boy seems to have gone the complete opposite. He ate all of his normal amount of feeders, plus more. I also gave him some BSFL out of my hand, he’s usually hesitant to eat from my hand but he could hardly wait for my hand to get in the door before he grabbed them. He’s been basking all day and been dark as well. Haven’t seen him drink and haven’t seen him poop since he started showing signs of shedding 2 days ago (moody and dull and face stretching). Is it normal not to poop with increased appetite during a shed? Maybe he’s going in a new spot but he usually poops the same spot every time. Here’s some pics before, during, and after the shed. I’m still watching some bits of skin lingering on the tip of his tail but he seems mostly done.
Looks like right after I said this he had a very big healthy looking poop lol. Assuming it was the stress of shedding.

Nice looking fella you have.. Just curious does he eat his shed also? Reason I ask is: I had some Veileds a few years back (maybe 10) and as babies they would fight over the shed of their siblings to the point of damaging tails. I had some recently with no desire for sheds from the others. Kinda weird.
Just curious.

Nice looking fella you have.. Just curious does he eat his shed also? Reason I ask is: I had some Veileds a few years back (maybe 10) and as babies they would fight over the shed of their siblings to the point of damaging tails. I had some recently with no desire for sheds from the others. Kinda weird.
Just curious.
Thank you! Hmm I didn’t see him eat his shed skin so I have no idea. I tried to give him space and just check every couple hours to make sure everything was coming off okay. If he did eat any I didn’t see.

Make sure the end of the tail sheds eventually....just keep an eye on it.
How long until I should try to intervene with the tail skin? It’s still on there it doesn’t look like it’s tight, just hasn’t fallen off.

As long as it's not tightening on the tail tip you can leave it for a while. Don't wet it...it doesn't help them shed by wetting it.

Anyone else’s chameleon get HUNGRY during shedding? I keep seeing people say their chams get a decrease in appetite when they shed but my boy seems to have gone the complete opposite.
They're all different. For almost any generalization, you'll find exceptions. In most cases, it's not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom