Hummingbirds - Video This Time :-)

Dave Weldon

Avid Member
Howdy All,

More Hummingbird stuff, but this time I'm playing with the video capabilities of my Canon T2i DSLR along with the 70-200mm telephoto lens. In order to capture the wing sounds, I used my Tascam DR-07 digital audio recorder stuck on a branch near the feeder and then sync'd it to the camera's audio in my video editing software. If your PC can handle it, watch it in full screen 1080p mode. Don't forget to turn-up the sound :). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETISqsEki7Q

Dave I love it. I only have stills no video. That is crisp, clear, and for me, love at first view. Thanks

That's great!

I love the "wumph" sound when it first flies away. All the wing sounds are amazing.

I really appreciate this video for not being a high definition slow motion expose on "how a hummingbird flies". That really seems to be what people want to do when they take a camera to hummingbirds and it misses what you've captured: they are delightful, pretty birds, not just glorified insects.

I really like the way you've composed the frame. A lot of people would have centered that feeder and shot tighter. Giving it that space really emphasizes the size of the bird and lets us appreciate it for the pretty thing it is.

0.0 I didnt even know youtube allowed you a setting for 1080p! I can finally see what good comes from nvidia graphics... so this whole time I've been watching videos on the lowest setting because of lack of knowledge -_-.

Howdy All,

Thanks for the generous comments :D.

I've also been listening to their chirps slowed-down 10x-100x and it is really wild how much detail is in one single, tiny chirp. I haven't figured out yet how to save that slowed-down audio file while using "Sound Forge Studio 5.0". It would probably help if I read the directions :eek:. When you slow-down the wing sounds, it's like a helicopter with that whump-whump-whump sound.

The audio is pretty noisy. You don't realize just how much background noise there is in a city environment until you record it :(.

My not being very artistically minded with shooting angles etc; it's always a question for me as to how close-up to set things.

Back
Top Bottom