(Vid) Jasper Vs. Black Soldier Fly

GabeCastro

Established Member
Finally got to watch Jasper eat! It's been awhile since i've seen him eat on his own. Currently Jasper is sick w/ two parasites which causes him to have a loss of appetite.

So far i've noticed he will not eat ANYTHING unless it has wings and flies around his enclosure. This was #2 of 3 within 10 minutes. Its such a huge relief to know Jasper still has the erge to hunt and eat. I was so worried about him going downhill, but so far this is a great sign that he's improving.

Hope you guys enjoy the video, it looks like Jasper was making sure I was ready to record him lol! Waits till i focus in :) then looks back at me when he catches the fly making sure i caught the shot! haha

He's due for a shed soon, so he's starting to dry up.

Be sure to watch in 1080p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuvhB6ZDafI&feature=youtu.be

Nice!!!
Now where do you get them flies??
Thanks!

I had a tube of calcium worms that Jasper never ate. Decided to let them sit around incase they were still alive lol. Turned out they turned into Black Soldier Flys :)

It took about a month or two for them to hatch.

They're harmless, and i'm sure they provide some sort of calcium as well.

Did the worms turn black or change in any way (pupate) before turning into the soldier flys?

I loved the hypnotic dance Jasper did to mesmerize the fly prior to going for the kill~! It was also funny how he chewed so fast to make sure it didn't fly out of his mouth. Awesome video!

Did the worms turn black or change in any way (pupate) before turning into the soldier flys?

I loved the hypnotic dance Jasper did to mesmerize the fly prior to going for the kill~! It was also funny how he chewed so fast to make sure it didn't fly out of his mouth. Awesome video!
lol yeah Jaspers got some character.

But yes, the larve turned black. When you touch and hold them they don't move at all. I thought they were dead about a few weeks ago. CLeaned up my room and decided to take a look again and found 1 fly. Later on I found 2. Woke up had 3 lol. Takes about 2 months for them to do their cycle.

After he catches it he looks around to see if anyone noticed! lol. great vid!

Lol yeah i noticed that. It was like he was making sure I got the shot haha. Also liked how he waited till I had my camera focused in.

So glad he's doing better for you. He's such a ham.:D Love the video.

haha thanks! Hopefully he eats some more so I can get more vids.

lol yeah Jaspers got some character.

But yes, the larve turned black. When you touch and hold them they don't move at all. I thought they were dead about a few weeks ago. CLeaned up my room and decided to take a look again and found 1 fly. Later on I found 2. Woke up had 3 lol. Takes about 2 months for them to do their cycle.

I'm currently trying to get my pheonix worms to turn into soldier flys so this is very helpful

Back
Top Bottom