Hummingbird - Slow Motion Audio/Video (Neat Sounds!)

Dave Weldon

Avid Member
Howdy All,

Here's a short clip that I made where the normal hummingbird chirping sounds are slowed down to reveal the details within the individual chirps. There is a "Nature" series program on PBS that demonstrates the hummingbird's ability to create a chirp-like sound by whipping their tail feathers through the air. It appears that this bird is doing the same thing here as can bee seen towards the end :). Crank-up the audio volume and if your pc supports it, change the YouTube resolution from 360p to 1080p and go full screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiK-KqjKiIs

Last edited:
That is both very cool and a bit creepy.

More than anything, the sound reminded me of that episode of Star Trek, "Catspaw", aka: the Halloween episode. The sound the critters make at the end of the episode when we finally see them for who they are.

Is that too utterly geeky an explanation?

Regardless, it's very interesting and surprising (at least to me). Thank you.

Dave any time I see your hummingbirds, it just starts my day with a boost. I think it is great that you are using the clear nectar, and not the red stuff you buy at the stores. Since research has shown the red dye weakens the egg and means less babies survive, I don't understand why people who enjoy hummers still use that stuff.

Thanks again and I did turn my volume up all the way. I forgot how loud it goes! A tiny hummingbird also most lifted me out of my chair.:):)

Back
Top Bottom