Humity Master!

Shimpy45

Hey guys,

As some of you might know my 3 year old Vaild Male Chameleon was having problems drinking and eating well still waiting on the vet trip but you all helped me out meny of time and time agen... and for those that sead to keep the humity up well it substained him to be able to eat and drink for the little while till i can get him to the vets... but i took all the ideas you guys gave me and a few i made up myself and now his cage is truly a amazon rain forest!
In the morning when i get up and his light has been on for about 30 min i take a hole cup of ice cubes and poor them on to the top of his cage all spread out atleas like 5 in his basking spot then i went out and bought a Vic's vaporizer that emitts warm steam one of the big ones that can run up to 18-24 hours on one fill i have it on a timer to go on 3 times a day for 2 hours each time it goes on and these 3 times are spaced withing the "lights on" time and it stayes off all night i clean and refill this every morning the vaporizer sits at the bottome of his cage in a corner where he cant get to close to the steam to hert himself but he stayes at the top of his cage anyway... then i use my hand held misters to mist the cage with hot water that cools via mist after im done there is water dripping from all the ice and there is a cool fog coming off all the ice cubes and there is a warm steam rising from the bottome of the cage when they meet they just swearl in the middle of the cage creating what i would like to think that amazon would look like in the early morn!
Ill try to get some pics for you guys if not a video! P.S. do you think the Vaperizor would be bad for the chameleons health it seems to work good... just a thought??

Thanks,

Aaron Shimp

by the time the warm mist/steam reaches the top of his cage it isnt hot its actuly about room temp plus i was having problems getting the cage temp to 85 it would get up to around 73 and stop i couldnt add another light for my dad is a Electricity Natzy! so with the vap. it help raise temp and is not noticable unless you look in his cage ;) his cage is 5ft tall to so it takes a good min to get up there and like i sead he almost never goes to the bottom of his cage he just walk back and forth from his basking spot on the one side of his cage to the more cooler not so lit part of his cage on his main vine. But thanks for the heads up. will keep in mind for the summer months i might go get a cool one just for them months but for the more colder ones that we are heading into ill prob just stick with the warm bc it did bump his temp up form 73 to 83-85 deppending on how cold it is that day...

Thanks,

Aaron Shimp

Hey guys,

As some of you might know my 3 year old Vaild Male Chameleon was having problems drinking and eating well still waiting on the vet trip but you all helped me out meny of time and time agen... and for those that sead to keep the humity up well it substained him to be able to eat and drink for the little while till i can get him to the vets... but i took all the ideas you guys gave me and a few i made up myself and now his cage is truly a amazon rain forest!
In the morning when i get up and his light has been on for about 30 min i take a hole cup of ice cubes and poor them on to the top of his cage all spread out atleas like 5 in his basking spot then i went out and bought a Vic's vaporizer that emitts warm steam one of the big ones that can run up to 18-24 hours on one fill i have it on a timer to go on 3 times a day for 2 hours each time it goes on and these 3 times are spaced withing the "lights on" time and it stayes off all night i clean and refill this every morning the vaporizer sits at the bottome of his cage in a corner where he cant get to close to the steam to hert himself but he stayes at the top of his cage anyway... then i use my hand held misters to mist the cage with hot water that cools via mist after im done there is water dripping from all the ice and there is a cool fog coming off all the ice cubes and there is a warm steam rising from the bottome of the cage when they meet they just swearl in the middle of the cage creating what i would like to think that amazon would look like in the early morn!
Ill try to get some pics for you guys if not a video! P.S. do you think the Vaperizor would be bad for the chameleons health it seems to work good... just a thought??

Thanks,

Aaron Shimp

My only question is........what do you "clean" it with ??? You have to be very careful using a humidifier or vaporizer over a long period of time. They CAN and WILL cause URI's. I have given up on trying to even keep one clean enough for us to use in our house. Without adding chemicals to the water that will kill bacteria and prevent mold growth, it is a useless battle. When and if you ever get a fungal infection in your lungs......it is VERY HARD to get rid of. It just isn't worth the risk to me.........for human use, let alone for a pet.

On the right side of my xanths cage, I have the same humidifier. Her basking light is on the same side. I keep a exoterra fogger piped in right by the basking light. The fog is heated as it comes in, a lot of falls to the bottom of the cage, but a good amount is heated as it comes in. This creates a "cloud" in the top foot or so of her cage, It looks impresive! The vicks humidifier will get harder and harder to keep clean, and after 3months, I'm looking at getting another one ;/ But a white vineger soak will make it last longer, and clean it better.

Back
Top Bottom