humidity?

I'm going to plexiglass the front on the screen cage i have a pretty big fern and a couple more plants and no real vines I'm using flukers vines for now i live south of chicago illinois i used a space heater for my room and i mist 3 times a day for 2 min
No offense, but I wouldn't consider 3 times a day for 2 minutes each, "all the time".

IDK how many zozzles your mister has, but consider that 2 nozzles can put out twice as much water/humidity as one.

Electric space heaters are notorious for reducing humidity.
https://hvac.ninja/articles/space-heaters-humidity/

I'm measuring with a circle hydrometer

Analog hygrometers (and thermometers) are notoriously inaccurate. Some can be as much as 40°/40% off.

Digital hygrometers & thermometers with probes are usually accurate to within ±2°/2%.
I like these because they're the same price range as either separately, both sets of numbers are large enough for me to see, and since they come a few to a pack, they can be compared against each other for accuracy, and placed in different locations in the enclosure. The wires are long enough to keep the main units outside (they can be damaged by direct misting) and the probes inside.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot_20211030-211612_Amazon Shopping.jpg

So I know these are very well recommended by the community but be aware... they hygrometer part is not at the probe end.

If you remove the black end cap it is just a thermistor. The hygrometer sensor is actually in the lcd display housing...

Just an fyi with the cheap probe meters.

So I know these are very well recommended by the community but be aware... they hygrometer part is not at the probe end.

If you remove the black end cap it is just a thermistor. The hygrometer sensor is actually in the lcd display housing...

Just an fyi with the cheap probe meters.
That has not been my experience. I've heard this before, so I've tested it on the units I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the main unit outside an enclosure, and only the wire & probe inside, it definitely reads humidity and changes in humidity.

Mayhaps they're not all created equal. 🤷‍♂️

I'd like to add to this thread. Rather than make a new one since it discussed the Govee.

I used a s**t hygrometer and recently got the govee only to discover my girls humidity has been much lower than the other one said. super low. Like, 30s low for a panther. I spent last weekend wrapping her whole enclosure with window seal. Front door included but left the top of course and bottom for airflow. This has done ABSOLUTLEY nothing to keep humidity in. I'm in Colorado. I have a humidifier running in the room. I mist 5 times a day for 2 minutes each time. Once right before lights on. At noon. At 3, right after lights out and a 4 minutes mist at midnight. I do not fog at night. Her urates look great, so I'm not worried about hydration but I can't for the life of me get humidity up. Her enclosure is dense with live plants. All Pothos and one dracreana. I'm gonna add a second humidifier to the room I think. The ones I have are small. Heat vents in the room are closed off. The misting gets the humidity up high but within 20-25 minutes it's back down in the low 30s. I'm frustrated!

I'd like to add to this thread. Rather than make a new one since it discussed the Govee.

I used a s**t hygrometer and recently got the govee only to discover my girls humidity has been much lower than the other one said. super low. Like, 30s low for a panther. I spent last weekend wrapping her whole enclosure with window seal. Front door included but left the top of course and bottom for airflow. This has done ABSOLUTLEY nothing to keep humidity in. I'm in Colorado. I have a humidifier running in the room. I mist 5 times a day for 2 minutes each time. Once right before lights on. At noon. At 3, right after lights out and a 4 minutes mist at midnight. I do not fog at night. Her urates look great, so I'm not worried about hydration but I can't for the life of me get humidity up. Her enclosure is dense with live plants. All Pothos and one dracreana. I'm gonna add a second humidifier to the room I think. The ones I have are small. Heat vents in the room are closed off. The misting gets the humidity up high but within 20-25 minutes it's back down in the low 30s. I'm frustrated!
Can you post screen shots of the daily and weekly govee graph from the app?

Where is the sensor located as this will matter. If its up by the heat source you will see much lower humidity if it's on or near the bottom.

I have two govee sensors... the small one on the basking branch and the one with the digital readout near the lower half.

Can you post screen shots of the daily and weekly govee graph from the app?

Where is the sensor located as this will matter. If its up by the heat source you will see much lower humidity if it's on or near the bottom.

I have two govee sensors... the small one on the basking branch and the one with the digital readout near the lower half.
I meant to say 20%, not 30. I do have a second one. I'll put it near the middle / bottom. This one is near the top but at the other end of the top from the heat source.

Screenshot_20211207-093909_Govee Home.jpg Screenshot_20211207-094106_Govee Home.jpg

Are you perchance running a muffin fan on top, drawing air through/out of the enclosure?

I think the humidity from the humidifier may be having a hard time getting into your enclosure. I have a Jackson’s that require high humidity at night and so I pipe the humidity right to the top of the enclosure and let it cascade down where my Jackson’s sleeps. Of course this is actually fogging but if your temps are below 67 then it’s okay to do. I get humidity readings in the 90s where my Jackson’s sleeps. I don’t know if that is too high for your Cham but it works for mine.

A muffin fan will pull the humidity from the room right into your enclosure so you might try that. Just put it on top of your enclosure and turn it on so the fan is blowing up and it will pull the humidity in through the bottom of the cage and out through the top.

Oh! And welcome to the forum. I have the opposite problem. I live in Florida and always have too high temps and humidity, but I manage to get them in range with a variety of devices. 😅
I have noticed with this season change, the humidity has dropped in my boy's cage. It may also be due to heaters on in the house sucking the moisture out of the air. i have a fogger and hand sprayer and use both daily. I also have two sides, the back and right side of his 2x2x4 reptibreeze sealed and keep the fogger on the sealed side. I mist the plants in the morn and afternoon and if the humidity is low i mist the top screen below the basking lights as its evaporation will increase humidity too. if you keep a fogger on thru out thenight, keep it low and in an area where your cham cant sleep under it. my cha!m loves sitting directly under the fogger but got URI as a result. so i learned the hard way. The primary reason why humidity is crucial for chams is because they get much of their water by the moisture in the air. my cham never drinks off of leaves or anything and I recently took a small eye drop bottle, cleaned it out, filled it with bottled water and tried dripping water on his mouth. I am shocked at the response. He not only opens up and tongues for more, he actually tries to suckle it like a bottle. Cant wait to get a video of this. He just loves it. Seems to do better while he is upright in my hand. good luck i hope you can figure it out. I live in calif so winters get dry.

I have noticed with this season change, the humidity has dropped in my boy's cage. It may also be due to heaters on in the house sucking the moisture out of the air. i have a fogger and hand sprayer and use both daily. I also have two sides, the back and right side of his 2x2x4 reptibreeze sealed and keep the fogger on the sealed side. I mist the plants in the morn and afternoon and if the humidity is low i mist the top screen below the basking lights as its evaporation will increase humidity too. if you keep a fogger on thru out thenight, keep it low and in an area where your cham cant sleep under it. my cha!m loves sitting directly under the fogger but got URI as a result. so i learned the hard way. The primary reason why humidity is crucial for chams is because they get much of their water by the moisture in the air. my cham never drinks off of leaves or anything and I recently took a small eye drop bottle, cleaned it out, filled it with bottled water and tried dripping water on his mouth. I am shocked at the response. He not only opens up and tongues for more, he actually tries to suckle it like a bottle. Cant wait to get a video of this. He just loves it. Seems to do better while he is upright in my hand. good luck i hope you can figure it out. I live in calif so winters get dry.

thank you! Definitely post a video if you catch that on film!!

I mist the plants in the morn and afternoon and if the humidity is low i mist the top screen below the basking lights as its evaporation will increase humidity too.

Despite popular belief, humid air is less dense than regular air. Therefore humid air will [ALWAYS] rise and not sink.
https://homedetoxing.com/how-does-humidity-move-in-a-house/
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=humid+air+rises

It's an excellent idea, though—just misplaced (pun intended 😊). A screen at/near the bottom of an enclosure (and above an air intake) should work, especially if it receives auto-misting.

IDK why I didn't think of this before... D'OH! 🤦‍♂️ The bottom of my enclosure IS screen.

Thank you for kicking my brain in the slats. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom