humidity?

how can I raise my humidity. I have a glass cage with a screen top I mist it all the time i even have a fogger and the humidity gets down to 25% sometimes in the day and only 50 at night and I'm about to get him in a screen cage 24x24x24 but with a custom background on the back and both sides but there is still the top and the front humidity can get out I've tried everything

how can I raise my humidity. I have a glass cage with a screen top I mist it all the time i even have a fogger and the humidity gets down to 25% sometimes in the day and only 50 at night and I'm about to get him in a screen cage 24x24x24 but with a custom background on the back and both sides but there is still the top and the front humidity can get out I've tried everything
24x24x48*

What species do you have? And where are you located? Glass usually keeps humidity in, but people will put shower curtains or PVC or coroplast on screen enclosure sides to help with retaining humidity.

If you can have low temps at night (under 67) then getting a fogger to run overnight will help. And you can have your mister right before the fogging to help the fog "stick".

Can you specify what you mean by "mist all the time"? What device do you use? For how long does it mist, how many times per day?

Oh! And welcome to the forum. I have the opposite problem. I live in Florida and always have too high temps and humidity, but I manage to get them in range with a variety of devices. 😅

I was going to suggest a hybrid enclosure rather than screen, but custom back & sides connote a hybrid enclosure. Many hybrid enclosures now also have solid (glass, plexi) doors with a screened panel below. The doors (like the sides & back) keep the humidity in while the screened panel allows air-flow via chimney/stack effect.

Do you have ALL live plants & vines (if you have vines)?
Live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

Same questions (rephrased) as bbyoda:
  1. Your general location (state/province) & climate? Type of home heating system?
  2. Misting schedule, method (hand or automated), and duration of sessions?
Could you please provide pic/s of your enclosure(s) showing the top (lighting) on down to the bottom (drainage).

And it couldn't hurt to do a habitat review (if you haven't already) in case we missed anything.
You can copy/paste this questionnaire into this thread with your answers. :)

What species do you have? And where are you located? Glass usually keeps humidity in, but people will put shower curtains or PVC or coroplast on screen enclosure sides to help with retaining humidity.

If you can have low temps at night (under 67) then getting a fogger to run overnight will help. And you can have your mister right before the fogging to help the fog "stick".

Can you specify what you mean by "mist all the time"? What device do you use? For how long does it mist, how many times per day?
i have a 4 month old panther chameleon and when i see it is low ill use a spray gun and a mister mists 3 times a day for 2 minutes and the humidifier

I was going to suggest a hybrid enclosure rather than screen, but custom back & sides connote a hybrid enclosure. Many hybrid enclosures now also have solid (glass, plexi) doors with a screened panel below. The doors (like the sides & back) keep the humidity in while the screened panel allows air-flow via chimney/stack effect.

Do you have ALL live plants & vines (if you have vines)?
Live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

Same questions (rephrased) as bbyoda:
  1. Your general location (state/province) & climate? Type of home heating system?
  2. Misting schedule, method (hand or automated), and duration of sessions?
Could you please provide pic/s of your enclosure(s) showing the top (lighting) on down to the bottom (drainage).

And it couldn't hurt to do a habitat review (if you haven't already) in case we missed anything.
You can copy/paste this questionnaire into this thread with your answers. :)
I'm going to plexiglass the front on the screen cage i have a pretty big fern and a couple more plants and no real vines I'm using flukers vines for now i live south of chicago illinois i used a space heater for my room and i mist 3 times a day for 2 min

I'm going to plexiglass the front on the screen cage i have a pretty big fern and a couple more plants and no real vines I'm using flukers vines for now i live south of chicago illinois i used a space heater for my room and i mist 3 times a day for 2 min

Usually you want the front and top of the cage to be screen for ventilation and the chimney effect.

The space heater might be drying things out and reducing your humidity. How long do you run that for and where is it located in relation to the enclosure?

Can you share a pic of your enclosure from top to bottom?

Usually you want the front and top of the cage to be screen for ventilation and the chimney effect.

The space heater might be drying things out and reducing your humidity. How long do you run that for and where is it located in relation to the enclosure?

Sure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 77

Can you share a pic of your enclosure from top to botto

I turn the heater on when I feel like it’s to cold in my room and i only run it for about 30 min

Yeah I feel like your current enclosure setup (glass & live plants) and misting schedule should be able to keep a good level of humidity inside it. The only things I can think of is your heating system and space heater are drying things out during the day. Temperature and humidity are interrelated.

I'd say experiment a bit with your new enclosure, creating solid sides with PVC or coroplast or Plexi. Just make sure you have ventilation and the chimney effect to prevent respiratory infections. In your new bigger enclosure you'll be able to have more live plants that will hold the mist. I think you should also consider a cool mist fogger which will get the humidity up during the evening and a mist king system with a dual nozzle to really get a great fine mist going.

Did you also say you have a humidifier? What happens when you use it?

@Klyde O'Scope anything else to add in terms of things to try to raise humidity?

Yeah I feel like your current enclosure setup (glass & live plants) and misting schedule should be able to keep a good level of humidity inside it. The only things I can think of is your heating system and space heater are drying things out during the day. Temperature and humidity are interrelated.

I'd say experiment a bit with your new enclosure, creating solid sides with PVC or coroplast or Plexi. Just make sure you have ventilation and the chimney effect to prevent respiratory infections. In your new bigger enclosure you'll be able to have more live plants that will hold the mist. I think you should also consider a cool mist fogger which will get the humidity up during the evening and a mist king system with a dual nozzle to really get a great fine mist going.

Did you also say you have a humidifier? What happens when you use it?

@Klyde O'Scope anything else to add in terms of things to try to raise humidity

What are measuring humidity with? I’ve had hygrometers fail on me.

are you fogging directly into the cage? What’s the schedule for your fogger?
I am also surprised you can’t get humidity up in your glass enclosure with misting and fogging. I’ve had to use fans during the day to pull humidity out in my glass enclosures

You don’t want high humidity during the day, only at night. I would get anther hygrometer and place it next to the one you have and compare the two to make sure it’s working correctly.

What are measuring humidity with? I’ve had hygrometers fail on me.

are you fogging directly into the cage? What’s the schedule for your fogger?
I am also surprised you can’t get humidity up in your glass enclosure with misting and fogging. I’ve had to use fans during the day to pull humidity out in my glass enclosures
I'm measuring with a circle hydrometer and I'm fogger directly into the cage after it gets misted at night day time the humidity is like 30 and night time is like 45-50

Back
Top Bottom