Humidity problem day and night.

Hi!
So I have a question about humidity levels. I got a new cage (repti breeze x-large) so it's a full screen cage. (I used to have glass) and the humidity is so hard to keep. I already covered one side with plastic(I'm getting transparent curtains soon). I got real plants that covers the whole place. I got a misting system going off every 2 hours for 2 mins. But my humidity is still pretty low after a hour. I got 3 different humidity meters. One is digital (exo terra combo). But they all give different humidity around the same place. (digital can give 40 while the other is giving 80 and then the 3th is giving 50 its so confusing ). And at night it will only hang around the 40-50. I can't put a humidifier in the chamber because the cage is in my study/game room so I got alot of technology so I believe it's not a good idea. So now I'm worried that he gets sick one of these days or maybe I'm just overreacting. But has someone good advice or any tips? I would appreciate it so much

This is one reason why hybrid closures are becoming more standard/popular in many areas.

Hygrometers—even digital—are notoriously inaccurate. Up to ±20% or more. You can check them by measuring RH manually.

You may need to seal most of the enclosure in a vapor barrier (window insulation kits work well); trial & error will tell. A fogger for nighttime may also be necessary, depending on how well the plastic holds the humidity. Keeping household humidity around 50% will also help (dryer air absorbs more humidity from an enclosure than moderate) and shouldn't adversely affect anything. In fact, humidity loss works very similarly to heat loss (i.e. most will be through the top along with the warm air).

I wouldn't worry too much about using a fogger or in-enclosure humidifier in an enveloped enclosure.
Just monitor the room's RH as well.

This is one reason why hybrid closures are becoming more standard/popular in many areas.

Hygrometers—even digital—are notoriously inaccurate. Up to ±20% or more. You can check them by measuring RH manually.

You may need to seal most of the enclosure in a vapor barrier (window insulation kits work well); trial & error will tell. A fogger for nighttime may also be necessary, depending on how well the plastic holds the humidity. Keeping household humidity around 50% will also help (dryer air absorbs more humidity from an enclosure than moderate) and shouldn't adversely affect anything. In fact, humidity loss works very similarly to heat loss (i.e. most will be through the top along with the warm air).

I wouldn't worry too much about using a fogger or in-enclosure humidifier in an enveloped enclosure.
Just monitor the room's RH as well.
I have covered all the sides of my enclosure except the front and top. It's now 40-70% in the day. But at night it's still only around 50. I spray now 2 times at night for 2 mins hoping to keep it up a little. I was planning on getting a fogger but I don't have the money right now (bought me a mister so that was already 100€+) is it too bad if he doesn't have the right humidity for like at least another week and a half? I was planning also on covering the front and buying a few more plants.

I have covered all the sides of my enclosure except the front and top. It's now 40-70% in the day. But at night it's still only around 50. I spray now 2 times at night for 2 mins hoping to keep it up a little. I was planning on getting a fogger but I don't have the money right now (bought me a mister so that was already 100€+) is it too bad if he doesn't have the right humidity for like at least another week and a half? I was planning also on covering the front and buying a few more plants.
That seems odd; humidity usually climbs when temperature drops (like at night). Can you set your mister to go off more often at night? Mine is set to go off 5 times between dusk & dawn.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think humidity is overrated. Not to say it isn't important, but if it's off by 20%, your chameleon won't get sick and die. I spent 3 weeks all around Madagascar looking at chameleons, and it's not that humid.

Last edited:
That seems odd; humidity usually climbs when temperature drops (like at night). Can you set your mister to go off more often at night? Mine is set to go off 5 times between dusk & dawn.
Well I can put it 3 times at night for 2 mins I can choose every 2 hours but maybe that will be a little much. And yeah it's weird because the humidity in the room is at least 40%. I even covered the front of my enclosure at night but it still was only around the 40-50. At the bottom it was around 60% I believe but the middle was like 41%

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think humidity is overrated. Not to say it isn't important, but if it's off by 20%, your chameleon won't get sick and die. I spent 3 weeks all around Madagascar looking at chameleons, and it's not that humid.
Did you have a hygrometer on you? I'm all for people voicing unpopular opinions, but how did you come to the conclusion that, when you were in Madagascar, "it's not that humid"? The human body is notoriously terrible at determining humidity and temperature. How could you determine that without looking at a hygrometer? To one person, the day may be too hot and humid and for the next person, the day could be just right. If I'm outside during a summer night, I swear the humidity is around maybe 30% like it is during a summer day in Sacramento California, but in reality, the humidity increased without me ever noticing a difference.

Well I can put it 3 times at night for 2 mins I can choose every 2 hours but maybe that will be a little much. And yeah it's weird because the humidity in the room is at least 40%. I even covered the front of my enclosure at night but it still was only around the 40-50. At the bottom it was around 60% I believe but the middle was like 41%
Can you post a pic of your enclosure?

There are a lot of different ways to increase humidity besides misting and wrapping the sides.

Did you have a hygrometer on you? I'm all for people voicing unpopular opinions, but how did you come to the conclusion that, when you were in Madagascar, "it's not that humid"? The human body is notoriously terrible at determining humidity and temperature. How could you determine that without looking at a hygrometer? To one person, the day may be too hot and humid and for the next person, the day could be just right. If I'm outside during a summer night, I swear the humidity is around maybe 30% like it is during a summer day in Sacramento California, but in reality, the humidity increased without me ever noticing a difference.
+1. Humans are generally most comfortable with RH around 50%, though we can acclimate.

Can you post a pic of your enclosure?

There are a lot of different ways to increase humidity besides misting and wrapping the sides.

I actually watched your video yesterday and I messaged some pictures to u a few days ago on insta after I posted this thread haha. You told me to get more plants which I'm planning on and I'm probably getting a fogger for the night :)

I know there has been a lot of rigorous scientific testing on UVB, but I know of no equivalent for humidity. We don't know exactly how adaptable they are to slightly lower humidity levels or what the implications are. We have a tendency (myself included) to require everything to be perfect.

A little off topic, but doesn't seem big enough for a topic on its own. Can anyone recommend a Hygrometer? I've used the Vivarium Electronics temp/ humidity combo. I like it since it tells you the highest & lowest recordings. But, like mentioned above, after a while the Hygrometer part stops working. I've tried the Zoo Med one too. Anyone have any recommendations?

A little off topic, but doesn't seem big enough for a topic on its own. Can anyone recommend a Hygrometer? I've used the Vivarium Electronics temp/ humidity combo. I like it since it tells you the highest & lowest recordings. But, like mentioned above, after a while the Hygrometer part stops working. I've tried the Zoo Med one too. Anyone have any recommendations?
I love these... Just make sure they are not in the direct path of water.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom