Humidity never over 60% ??

Chill

hey guys i have 3 cages for my chameleons and i built them by hand there made of pine and completely screened in. the temp has never been a problem but the humidity has, its hard to get it over 60% unless i put the humidifier dirtectly under there cages. i was just curious if anyone has any similiar problems and if so how did you get the humidity up??

Dont know what kinda vegitation you got in there but i live in texas where humidity can be low (though not lately with all the rain and flooding) but if you put more live plants in your cages it will up the humidity.

I've had chams for about 4 years now, and I have never measured humidity. I could even suggest that the humidity is probably on the low side, but between mistings and drip water , they have flourished.

Let your cham tell you if it needs more humidity or water. Look for signs of boneyness in the base of the tail and / or sunken eye turrets.

Feeding butters or silkworms will also insure a well hydrated cham.

Where is the hydrometer located? One that is near the basking spot will never read to high. I do agree with Heika as well.

hey sativa420, im from houston, and i didnt know that dallas had low humidity funny. here its never below 70% except in the winter i guess. anways with the question, put more live plants, and most. that should help. mist more, or even maybe close in one of the side of the cages to let less humidity out, and it is ok if a few sides of the cage are not covered with a screen. anyways good luck

Hey everybody thanks for the comments so far but if this helps i actually dont have any real plants in any of my cages :eek: but i do mist several times a day for a good 3 mins each. i have fake vines and branches they wrap around. maybe this will help...

Get a live plant inside, that will help alot. You dont HAVE too; but I think that it is a very good idea... That helps alot and the Chams, IMOP seem to like the real deal more.

Hey everybody thanks for the comments so far but if this helps i actually dont have any real plants in any of my cages :eek: but i do mist several times a day for a good 3 mins each. i have fake vines and branches they wrap around. maybe this will help...

I was having a low humidity poblem as well. I had the mister programmed to go off 9 times a day to help raise the humidity. It did raise it but the cage very rarely dried off between mistings. Even with many of these misting sessions lasting inly 4-5 minutes. I was going through lmost 2.5 gallons a day misting so much. Then I plumbed a humidifer into my cage (there are more than a few topics about it). This allowed me to only mist 3 times a day for drinking purposes only (15, 20 and 15 minute sessions). I have the humidifer on a timer so that it goes off every 2 hours for an hour long cycle. I also run the humidifer during the night when the lights are off. During the times the mister goes off, I do not run the humidifer as the mister raises the humidity as well.

This change has worked incredible for me. I only go through 1/2 gallon of water a day now for the mister and the 2.2 gallon humidifer only needs to be refilled over 5-6 days. I average a humidity level of 65 degrees with the lowest being 45 degrees and the highests being 86.

My cham really seems to love it.

Yeah, definitely get some live plants. Pathos are easy to keep alive and are great for climbing. I'm lucky enough to live in Houston so it's always humid here.

Back
Top Bottom