Humidity Killing Bulbs?

TheFotus

I must preface, I do not keep chameleons, but your forums have been very helpful for my research. I am working on building a Vine Snake enclosure (you might recognize them as the judgmental shoe lace). The enclosure has to have between 75% and 90% humidity, generally staying closer to 85%. I am concerned that the high humidity levels will shorten the life span of either the lamp or the bulb itself. Does anyone have any experience with something like this happening? Do I need to get special humidity rated equipment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Exo Terra makes splash and mist resistant bulbs called Swamp Basking Spot bulbs if you’re looking for heat bulbs

Zoo Meds’s ReptiTuff heat bulb is splash-proof, too. Will the mist/water get all the way into the light socket?

I'm not certain. The enclosure is 43" tall internally, there will be a waterfall, but quite far down, about a foot from the bulb and socket. The only water they would experience is vapor from the humidity, and maybe fog from the fogger

I must preface, I do not keep chameleons, but your forums have been very helpful for my research. I am working on building a Vine Snake enclosure (you might recognize them as the judgmental shoe lace). The enclosure has to have between 75% and 90% humidity, generally staying closer to 85%. I am concerned that the high humidity levels will shorten the life span of either the lamp or the bulb itself. Does anyone have any experience with something like this happening? Do I need to get special humidity rated equipment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the basking light is physically outside the enclosure as it is with chameleons, it shouldn't be a problem—humidity is generally retained inside the enclosure, and the heat of a bulb/light drives RH downward (high temp=low humidity & vice versa). But if it really concerns you, you could use an outdoor fixture & bulb.

Back
Top Bottom