Humidity help

hzliedmond

Established Member
Hello I'm extremely sorry for my posts these couple of days and questions. We got santa ana winds in cali and my humidity dropped to 10 percent and temp is 68 should this be okay for now ? Until I get a proper humidifier for her thank u i got for now! What u guys think?

Attachments

• 20231029_203238.jpg
    20231029_203238.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 16986380883551391411884649570579.jpg
    16986380883551391411884649570579.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hello I'm extremely sorry for my posts these couple of days and questions. We got santa ana winds in cali and my humidity dropped to 10 percent and temp is 68 should this be okay for now ? Until I get a proper humidifier for her thank u i got for now! What u guys think?
There’s zero need to apologize for posting and asking questions. I’m going to ask some questions in return. :) Are those measurements from inside her enclosure? What has her basking temp been?
Live plants will boost and maintain some humidity. To further maintain it, you can grab a dollar store shower curtain and wrap the back and one or both of the sides with it. Just be careful if you use tape to make absolutely sure there is no way for her to have any contact at all with it. I use very fine wire to attach things. Only run the humidifier at night when temps throughout her enclosure are at least 68. You want a good temp drop at night and they can handle temps in the 60’s pretty easily. Running it during the day, combined with the heat of her basking area increases risk of respiratory infection. If even with her light, her basking temps are well below the desired 80, try a stronger wattage of bulb. Just keep a close eye on it when conditions change that it doesn’t become too hot.
Btw, what is wrong with your humidifier? If it works, it’s fine. 💗

There’s zero need to apologize for posting and asking questions. I’m going to ask some questions in return. :) Are those measurements from inside her enclosure? What has her basking temp been?
Live plants will boost and maintain some humidity. To further maintain it, you can grab a dollar store shower curtain and wrap the back and one or both of the sides with it. Just be careful if you use tape to make absolutely sure there is no way for her to have any contact at all with it. I use very fine wire to attach things. Only run the humidifier at night when temps throughout her enclosure are at least 68. You want a good temp drop at night and they can handle temps in the 60’s pretty easily. Running it during the day, combined with the heat of her basking area increases risk of respiratory infection. If even with her light, her basking temps are well below the desired 80, try a stronger wattage of bulb. Just keep a close eye on it when conditions change that it doesn’t become too hot.
Btw, what is wrong with your humidifier? If it works, it’s fine. 💗
Hello how r u ? The humidity measurements r from the inside of the closure .Her morning basking temps are 85 . The humidifier runs only at night when temps go below 70. The humidifier is a dyi lol I made at the last min lol

Hello how r u ? The humidity measurements r from the inside of the closure .Her morning basking temps are 85 . The humidifier runs only at night when temps go below 70. The humidifier is a dyi lol I made at the last min lol
I’m good, thanks. And yourself? :)
So, try wrapping the back and both sides of the enclosure with shower curtain and that should be a big help in holding onto and maintaining humidity. You could add a mid day misting session of a minute or two if you don’t already have one. If your humidifier works, that’s all that matters.
Your basking temp of 85 is a tad bit warm. Are you following the ‘regimen’ to reduce her egg production? Temp no higher than 80 and feeding 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week (Plus treats)?

I’m good, thanks. And yourself? :)
So, try wrapping the back and both sides of the enclosure with shower curtain and that should be a big help in holding onto and maintaining humidity. You could add a mid day misting session of a minute or two if you don’t already have one. If your humidifier works, that’s all that matters.
Your basking temp of 85 is a tad bit warm. Are you following the ‘regimen’ to reduce her egg production? Temp no higher than 80 and feeding 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week (Plus treats)?
Oooo noo she's 8 months I thought I had to feed her 5 to 10 3/4 dubia ever day

Oooo noo she's 8 months I thought I had to feed her 5 to 10 3/4 dubia ever day
At 8 months old, she is grown enough to have a reduced diet. The more she eats, the more eggs she’ll produce. 5 dubia/feeders of that size isn’t so bad, but 10 every day is way too much. You can start cutting her back slowly, so she can adjust. Definitely start by reducing to no more than 5 feeders for about a week or two and then cut back to every other day. Keep reducing however you prefer until you reach 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week. I always feel bad on the weekend when they don’t get fed so that is when I give the treats...just 1 or 2 bugs.

At 8 months old, she is grown enough to have a reduced diet. The more she eats, the more eggs she’ll produce. 5 dubia/feeders of that size isn’t so bad, but 10 every day is way too much. You can start cutting her back slowly, so she can adjust. Definitely start by reducing to no more than 5 feeders for about a week or two and then cut back to every other day. Keep reducing however you prefer until you reach 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week. I always feel bad on the weekend when they don’t get fed so that is when I give the treats...just 1 or 2 bugs.
Thank u sooo much ! U r amazing this will help my pocket too lol

Roaches like dubia and discoid are quite easy to breed. Neither of those species are very good climbers and nor do they fly, even though the adults have wings. They are probably the easiest feeder to breed. You can start with as few as 5-6 females and 1-2 males. Just put them in a tall, smooth sided bin, provide some egg crate or TP tubes (something to hide in) and feed them small amounts of fresh veggies, greens, etc. They breed best when kept at 90F so you may need to attach a small heat mat to the outside (side) of the bin. In a few months time you’ll be seeing some itty bitty roach babies. I found mine breed even better when I keep them in a couple of inches of soil (you’ll need to add some springtails and/or isopods to keep things clean). Crickets are a total pain in the butt to breed and imo, not worth the trouble. Superworms aren’t hard at all once you get the worms to pupate into beetles and they make tons of babies.

Roaches like dubia and discoid are quite easy to breed. Neither of those species are very good climbers and nor do they fly, even though the adults have wings. They are probably the easiest feeder to breed. You can start with as few as 5-6 females and 1-2 males. Just put them in a tall, smooth sided bin, provide some egg crate or TP tubes (something to hide in) and feed them small amounts of fresh veggies, greens, etc. They breed best when kept at 90F so you may need to attach a small heat mat to the outside (side) of the bin. In a few months time you’ll be seeing some itty bitty roach babies. I found mine breed even better when I keep them in a couple of inches of soil (you’ll need to add some springtails and/or isopods to keep things clean). Crickets are a total pain in the butt to breed and imo, not worth the trouble. Superworms aren’t hard at all once you get the worms to pupate into beetles and they make tons of babies.
Thank u sooo much I could do that ! Forget crikets to smelly too lol

Back
Top Bottom