Humidity help?

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey all!
As the days tick down until my pickup date for my new guy(the 18th!) I have been running all my systems daily to make sure everything runs smoothly. So far the biggest issue I'm running in to is humidity. I live in Denver, so I knew this would be tricky for me, but I'm hoping for some tips from the pros here??
I have an 18x18x36 screen cage, but I have plexi sheets attached to all sides(except the door and top obviously) to help keep humidity in. I have a mist king which, at the moment, runs for 2 minutes every 2 hours from 8am to 8pm. I have 2 live plants in there, a pothos and a schefflera, I may pick up some more.
Should I have the mist king go every hour, rather than every 2?? Should I just invent in a humidifier to place next to my enclosure??
I am a big worrier and want to make sure everything is perfect for the big arrival.

I live in Pueblo. Invest in a cool air ultrasonic humidifier. Just make sure to be diligent with cleaning it out. They are harbingers for bacteria. I have one and it's been a life saver! Clean it every week.

I live in Pueblo. Invest in a cool air ultrasonic humidifier. Just make sure to be diligent with cleaning it out. They are harbingers for bacteria. I have one and it's been a life saver! Clean it every week.

I'm so glad to hear someone else in Colorado is just as crazy as I am. Do you have a specific one you suggest? I have a humidifier in my room atm that I only put distilled water in for that same bacteria problem.
Also, where did you get your cham from??

Hi! I'm in Denver as well! I also have Plexiglas sheets on sides, a mist king running, and also a fogger at night. I run my mist king for 4 minutes every 2.5 hrs. Plus a 6 minute session at 11:30am. That seems to do the trick keeping my humidity in range. I also have to wrap my enclosure with a full blackout cover (attached with velcro) every night to keep the fog in and the humidity up. Do you have good drainage? You're going to need it. I'm going through about 1-1.5 gallons daily. Denver is crazy dry.

Hi! I'm in Denver as well! I also have Plexiglas sheets on sides, a mist king running, and also a fogger at night. I run my mist king for 4 minutes every 2.5 hrs. Plus a 6 minute session at 11:30am. That seems to do the trick keeping my humidity in range. I also have to wrap my enclosure with a full blackout cover (attached with velcro) every night to keep the fog in and the humidity up. Do you have good drainage? You're going to need it. I'm going through about 1-1.5 gallons daily. Denver is crazy dry.
Drainage is what I was going to work on next! What are you using?? I'll increase my timers to 4 minutes then.
Where did you get your cham?! I'm super interested to hear where everyone in CO is getting their babies from.

I'm so glad to hear someone else in Colorado is just as crazy as I am. Do you have a specific one you suggest? I have a humidifier in my room atm that I only put distilled water in for that same bacteria problem.
Also, where did you get your cham from??
I believe I got it at Walmart. Crane I think I'd the manufacturer. I got my male veiled @ Petco. He's nothing special but he's special to me :). I plan on getting a Ambilobe Panther from Colorado Chameleons in Springs in the next few weeks. What kind of cham did you get where from?

Drainage is what I was going to work on next! What are you using?? I'll increase my timers to 4 minutes then.
Where did you get your cham?! I'm super interested to hear where everyone in CO is getting their babies from.
I put drain holes in the bottom of the tray that empties into a 5 gallon bucket below. Also, meant to add that I am running two mist king nozzles. It was so tricky getting the humidity right but it's all dialed in now. I got my baby ambanja panther Max from Matt Vanilla Gorilla in January, shipped to me from California overnight via Ship Your Reptiles. He's super cute, I absolutely adore him, but the feeling isn't mutual, lol.
I get most all my feeders from rainbowmealworms.com (crickets, phoenix worms, blue bottle fly larvae, small superworms), my silkworms from @Spyro88, and my hornworms (and sometimes crickets if I get low) locally from Scales and Tales on Wadsworth. ( I have roaches too but he won't touch them so far.)

Where are you at in Denver? I'm in Lakewood.

Attachments

• 346233EB-CFEC-461C-BDA2-30F190320612.jpeg
    346233EB-CFEC-461C-BDA2-30F190320612.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 71
I put drain holes in the bottom of the tray that empties into a 5 gallon bucket below. Also, meant to add that I am running two mist king nozzles. It was so tricky getting the humidity right but it's all dialed in now. I got my baby ambanja panther Max from Matt Vanilla Gorilla in January, shipped to me from California overnight via Ship Your Reptiles. He's super cute, I absolutely adore him, but the feeling isn't mutual, lol.
I get most all my feeders from rainbowmealworms.com (crickets, phoenix worms, blue bottle fly larvae, small superworms), my silkworms from @Spyro88, and my hornworms (and sometimes crickets if I get low) locally from Scales and Tales on Wadsworth. ( I have roaches too but he won't touch them so far.)

Where are you at in Denver? I'm in Lakewood.
I'm I'm Glendale. I've been getting crickets for my tarantula from Nature Box in aurora, I like that place a lot more than Scales n Tails.

It sure would!! When are you going to go pick him up??
We spoke yesterday and we just said we'd play it by ear for next couple weeks. No exact date set. They're just starting out on 1/4 crickets. So if they keep eating well and no set backs all should go well. Do you have a favorite one in mind?

We spoke yesterday and we just said we'd play it by ear for next couple weeks. No exact date set. They're just starting out on 1/4 crickets. So if they keep eating well and no set backs all should go well. Do you have a favorite one in mind?
I really like the darker one, but obviously their colors are going to change a lot as they get older so I'm going to go more but personality when I go see them.

I'll post more pictures when I do go!

Last edited:
I really like the darker one, but obviously their colors are going to change a lot as they get older so I'm going to go more but personality when I go see them.

I'll post more pictures when I do go!
We can arm wrestle for the blue one! Haha j/k yes they will change so much! He sent me some juvenile pictures of some of his last clutch and they look gorgeous! The last 2 pics are same cham same day lol
IMG_19431(1).jpg
574791092.jpg
IMG_8503.jpg

I meant to ask, which fogger are you using? And how do you have it attached to your enclosure? Also, where did you get the stand you are using??? I've been looking everywhere for a good one and the one I got is just mediocre. Sorry for all the questions lol

I meant to ask, which fogger are you using? And how do you have it attached to your enclosure? Also, where did you get the stand you are using??? I've been looking everywhere for a good one and the one I got is just mediocre. Sorry for all the questions lol
Hi, I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Humidifier-Fogger-Ultrasonic-Humidifying/dp/B07FKDGKFN
I do clean and sanitize it once a week with star sanitizer. My last misting session is at 6:30pm, I then let humidity drop until 11:30pm when the fogger kicks on. I run it until 5:30am on a somewhat low setting (it keeps it around 75% humidity overnight). I have it sitting on a plant stand and then I run the tube up the side on my enclosure and lay the end on top, no hole in screen since the fog just floats down. It works great. I'll have to readjust my settings once our furnace is off for the summer. With the furnace running, my house humidity is only 25-30% at best! No good!

The stand is the zoo med reptibreeze stand, Xlrg since my cage is the xlrg reptibreeze. It's awesome, I love it.

Last edited:
Hey all!
As the days tick down until my pickup date for my new guy(the 18th!) I have been running all my systems daily to make sure everything runs smoothly. So far the biggest issue I'm running in to is humidity. I live in Denver, so I knew this would be tricky for me, but I'm hoping for some tips from the pros here??
I have an 18x18x36 screen cage, but I have plexi sheets attached to all sides(except the door and top obviously) to help keep humidity in. I have a mist king which, at the moment, runs for 2 minutes every 2 hours from 8am to 8pm. I have 2 live plants in there, a pothos and a schefflera, I may pick up some more.
Should I have the mist king go every hour, rather than every 2?? Should I just invent in a humidifier to place next to my enclosure??
I am a big worrier and want to make sure everything is perfect for the big arrival.
Well what percent humidity does it reach up to and drop down too?

Back
Top Bottom