Humidity help?

Yeah Pueblo is like Arizona. 17% here right now and we're under a fire advisory.
Screenshot_20190407-174741_WeatherBug.jpg

Hey all!
As the days tick down until my pickup date for my new guy(the 18th!) I have been running all my systems daily to make sure everything runs smoothly. So far the biggest issue I'm running in to is humidity. I live in Denver, so I knew this would be tricky for me, but I'm hoping for some tips from the pros here??
I have an 18x18x36 screen cage, but I have plexi sheets attached to all sides(except the door and top obviously) to help keep humidity in. I have a mist king which, at the moment, runs for 2 minutes every 2 hours from 8am to 8pm. I have 2 live plants in there, a pothos and a schefflera, I may pick up some more.
Should I have the mist king go every hour, rather than every 2?? Should I just invent in a humidifier to place next to my enclosure??
I am a big worrier and want to make sure everything is perfect for the big arrival.

First, early congrats! Also, good job on making sure your husbandry is good BEFORE your cham arrives! This is great! (y)(y) The community here is happy to see this, I promise. I'll leave the humidity advice to the others who have posted and live in your area, especially because I have the reverse problem. Definitely get your humidity up though, especially for a panther chameleon! It's vital, so keep up the great work!

I did also want to at least put it on your radar that you'll need to upgrade your cage size sooner than you probably think. I got a 3-4 month cham last summer and within just 2-3 months I had to upgrade to the full adult sized cage, haha. They grow REALLY fast! On that same note, take TONS of pictures and definitely do your research on handling early on! :)

First, early congrats! Also, good job on making sure your husbandry is good BEFORE your cham arrives! This is great! (y)(y) The community here is happy to see this, I promise. I'll leave the humidity advice to the others who have posted and live in your area, especially because I have the reverse problem. Definitely get your humidity up though, especially for a panther chameleon! It's vital, so keep up the great work!

I did also want to at least put it on your radar that you'll need to upgrade your cage size sooner than you probably think. I got a 3-4 month cham last summer and within just 2-3 months I had to upgrade to the full adult sized cage, haha. They grow REALLY fast! On that same note, take TONS of pictures and definitely do your research on handling early on! :)
Hi! Thanks for the advice:) I was definitely planning on upgrading once I move out of my apartment and in to a bigger home. I plan on making a mansion for my little guy! I did buy a size up on my lighting fixture, so everything will easily transfer over to a bigger cage when we are ready for it :)

I've been slowly getting everything I need together and doing my research for over a year now. I wanted to be 100% ready.

My enclosure is ALMOST completely finished, and when it's done I'm going to post complete pictures, and I'll definitely post pictures of my baby when I go get him. I dont think I've ever spent so much money on an animal before, and that's saying a lot because I spoil all my babies A LOT, both scaled and fur!

Back
Top Bottom