Humidity Controller

koabich

In the never ending quest to fully automate my Cham enclousure, the last thing I needed was a humitity controller. I current have a Spyder Robotics Herpstat Pro which automates lighting/heating (it is pricey but worth much more, it's an awesome peice of equipment that I highly recommend. Even for breeders trying to control the environment in their incubaters).

The last thing I needed was to automate the humidity levels. I have a humidifer plumbed to the cage. It operated via a timer that ran for 1 on and 2 hours off. I averaged a humidity level of 60% with this method but the level itself ranged from 85% down to 35% depending where it was in the cycle. I wanted something more consistant so I did some research on controllers.

I purchased a unit and have been using it for several days and I have to say it's awesome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130160644471&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

It takes 2 minutes to set-up and works perfect. You hang it in the cage, plug it into a outlet, then plug the humidifier into the unit, set the desired level of humidity and that's it. It works on a 5% variable...meaning that if you set the humidity on 60%, it will bring the cage to 65% then shut off. It will not turn on again until the cage reaches 55%.

I mounted the unit at the same level in the cage where my cham sleeps at night. In my cage, due to how the humidifier is plumbed, the humidity is higher at the top of the cage than it is at the bottom or midpoint. This ensures that during the day, where he spends 95% of his time, the humidity is higher than 60%. At the range he sleeps, he will be in 60% humidity.

The only negative to the unit is that it makes a clicking sound when it turns on and off. Not even worth mentioning.

That is VERY KOOL !!! There are so many possibilities with something like that. It could be used for frogs or other types of lizards as well. Too bad you couldn't get a digital one that has several different sensors for different types of enviroments. Or maybe you can??

Dyesub Dave. :D

That is VERY KOOL !!! There are so many possibilities with something like that. It could be used for frogs or other types of lizards as well. Too bad you couldn't get a digital one that has several different sensors for different types of enviroments. Or maybe you can??

Dyesub Dave. :D

I tried looking for a digital one. Unfortunately the digital ones are industrial and cost several thousand dollars plus.

Geez, they're getting $129 for something that simple?

I tried looking for a digital one. Unfortunately the digital ones are industrial and cost several thousand dollars plus.

Ummm, (taking off the mad scientist hat for a minute) they may cost that now, but give me a few weeks! :)

I'm awaiting the arrival of the parts, but I've been designing an easy to use, digitally accurate pump controller. However, there are so many cool things you can do with embedded processors, my mind just keeps coming up with new ideas and it's morphed into a bit of a monster. There will be an affordable basic unit and, quite possibly, a unit that will do everything except feed the cham and clean the cage.

Back
Top Bottom