humidifier

pwerfulyifu

so since i live in cali, the atmosphere is pretty dry. i got a humidifier that runs for 12 hours. im hoping it doesnt make my room into a swimming pool by the end of the day, i was also thinking, since the humidifier is pretty small, handheld size, has a one gallon tank for water. maybe i could put it inside the cage. would that work? or that can cause problems? but anyways im trying to make my room more humid so my veiled can be more hydrated. also would it be better if i run it 12 hours during my night time or during the day?

so since i live in cali, the atmosphere is pretty dry. i got a humidifier that runs for 12 hours. im hoping it doesnt make my room into a swimming pool by the end of the day, i was also thinking, since the humidifier is pretty small, handheld size, has a one gallon tank for water. maybe i could put it inside the cage. would that work? or that can cause problems? but anyways im trying to make my room more humid so my veiled can be more hydrated. also would it be better if i run it 12 hours during my night time or during the day?

I wouldnt put it inside the cage. It could make it too humid when you are not there and could cause a repiratory problems. Also, some humidifiers emit hot water (steam). If your chameleon touches that it could get severe burns. I would just keep it in your room and let the whole room get humid. If it is in a room where it cant get humid like a bedroom or something, then buy zoo meds repti fogger. It works awesome at humidity, and you can point it directly in the cage. You have to use distilled water though.

I also keep dart frogs. A tip from frog world, don't spend on reptifogger. Get a cool mist ultrasonic humidifier from cvs or walgreens. Make sure in the store it has a round outlet for the fog, then go to hdepot or lowes and get a plumbing adapter w hose barb( you may have to sand down a bit to fit) and silicone it in. You can then get clothes washer drain tubing or vinyl tubing to fit and place in cage. It's a little more work, but 10 times the fog and lifespan of unit. They also come w much bigger reservoirs. Just make sure it says ultrasonic cool mist as hot mist will steam broil anything within a few inches of outlet tube.(Obviously bad)

so the ultrasonic cool mist produces, cold mist? i looked up some products and was said you had to use distilled water. but yeah uhh i have the hot steam humidifier that i got from walmart. its alright if i close the window but if i leave the window even a little bit open, the humidifier doesnt wont humidify anything...

so the ultrasonic cool mist produces, cold mist? i looked up some products and was said you had to use distilled water. but yeah uhh i have the hot steam humidifier that i got from walmart. its alright if i close the window but if i leave the window even a little bit open, the humidifier doesnt wont humidify anything...

Ultrasonics produce fog that is about or slightly cooler than room temp, because the water in the reservoir will sit at room temp. When the water gets converted to fog, the droplets cool faster (same idea as spraying yourself to cool off). It isn't going to chill your chams very much if at all. The mechanism that produces the fog (the nebulizer which vibrates at very high speed) will get clogged eventually by mineral deposits but that is going to vary based on your own local water. To prolong the life of the nebulizer you should use distilled, de-mineralized, or reverse osmosis filtered water. Or, if you can't do that you will simply need to keep the nebulizer clean. You can rinse out the reservoir and rub off the deposits with plain vinegar regularly. Those cleaners that remove hard water stains will work too. Just rinse very well afterwards.

The steam "humidifier" is also considered a vaporizer. The "fog" is steam, and can burn your cham and your cage plants.

You don't really need to run the humidifier constantly. Get a multiple setting plug in timer and cycle it on and off every hour or so. That way you won't need to worry about creating a swampy room (though your cham might prefer it that way!).

I wouldnt put it inside the cage. It could make it too humid when you are not there and could cause a repiratory problems. Also, some humidifiers emit hot water (steam). If your chameleon touches that it could get severe burns. I would just keep it in your room and let the whole room get humid. If it is in a room where it cant get humid like a bedroom or something, then buy zoo meds repti fogger. It works awesome at humidity, and you can point it directly in the cage. You have to use distilled water though.

Don't put the fogger inside the cage! Been there, done that, and it wasn't a good idea. The constant moisture will corrode the mechanism and kill off the unit a lot faster.

yeah i keep the unit in the room near my cham cage so that area can be more humid. i dont have a large room so its all good. plus, feels like a spa in here damn. so the heated mister, i have to clean that regularly as well?

yeah i keep the unit in the room near my cham cage so that area can be more humid. i dont have a large room so its all good. plus, feels like a spa in here damn. so the heated mister, i have to clean that regularly as well?

You should, because the water in the reservoir won't stay at boiling temp all the time, and warm water is a great place for growing bacteria. Also, the constant heating/cooling will tend to force minerals out of the water and create a sludge at the bottom of the reservoir and hoses anyway. You'll have to clean any type of unit anyway.

daaaaaamn. so i left it on for a couple of hours today, say around 3-4 hours. and i checked the humidity on my meter and it almost peaked to 80 percent. INSIDE THE CAGE. sure is hot in there...as if the house isnt hot enough already. and i also realized that all my posters on the wall are all moist. haha

kind of unnessacry purchasing foggers or mist kings. If you are worried about humidity, use plastic wrap on the sidesof your cage. mist once a day, give them water at the same time. I use 3 ice cubes at the top of the cage and let them melt through.

ehh i know. i was thinking of changing my sides into plexiglass. but oh well mine isnt a repti whatever mister. its just a 30 dollar room humidifier i got from walmart.

i havent really read through this whole thread but i am from long beach so i know your pain with keeping the humidity up haha, i came across another thread and this was a really good humidifier that isnt too pricey, the kid is kinda weird in the video but he has a great idea.

youtube.com/watch?v=3dH6z3-23FE

kind of unnessacry purchasing foggers or mist kings. If you are worried about humidity, use plastic wrap on the sidesof your cage. mist once a day, give them water at the same time. I use 3 ice cubes at the top of the cage and let them melt through.

You can't make this broad statement! It is irresponsible, especially as newbies may read it. We live in all sorts of climates and what will be needed for our chams is going to differ a lot. For example, I've kept as many as 9 chams living at 9000 ft elevation in the CO Rockies. It took daily hand spraying, teaching them syringe drinking, auto misters, AND ultrasonic humidifiers to keep the chams healthy. In other places hand spraying several times a day and putting plastic panels on my cages was enough.

As they say, Your Mileage May Vary.

ehh i know. i was thinking of changing my sides into plexiglass. but oh well mine isnt a repti whatever mister. its just a 30 dollar room humidifier i got from walmart.

But if it works in your situation that's all that matters, right? Personally those 30 dollar ultrasonic room humidifiers work very well for lots of reasons.

Oh sorry, forgot you were talking about a vaporizer. Probably not going to do what you need it to do especially in the summer.

daaaaaamn. so i left it on for a couple of hours today, say around 3-4 hours. and i checked the humidity on my meter and it almost peaked to 80 percent. INSIDE THE CAGE. sure is hot in there...as if the house isnt hot enough already. and i also realized that all my posters on the wall are all moist. haha

That's a vaporizer for you...doing what it was designed to do. Create a steam bath for croupy kids.

ice cubes are not recommended
one misting and three little cubes are not sufficient water

ice cubes are not recommended
one misting and three little cubes are not sufficient water

Exactly what I was thinking also Sandra. Why not just make a simple dripper that will drip for 2-3 hrs instead of using the ice cubes that will melt and last only 20-30 mins max.

You dont have to spend hundreds on a mist king but you do need to ensure that the cham has sufficient oppurtunities to drink and flush their eyes daily. One session and some ice cubes aint gonna cut it.....

I think thats the same guy who was saying he was gonna put the big name breeders out of business with his 150 dollar panthers.:rolleyes: He needs to start learning his basic husbandry first.

Purchasing a mistking unnessacry... Who are u to say that? Haha some of us work all day and don't have butlers to run around misting our chams mid day.. blastfomy I say! Haha seriously though an IMO was called for after that statment. Especially when ur practice of one misting and ice cubes Is improper to begin with IMO

I think thats the same guy who was saying he was gonna put the big name breeders out of business with his 150 dollar panthers.:rolleyes: He needs to start learning his basic husbandry first.

Wats today.. Tuesday? Yup its one of those days of the week I'd take a 150 dollar panther off ur hands.. ;) oh wait that's everyday ;)

Back
Top Bottom