Humidifier questions.

Tyaeda

Established Member
I'm having a hard time keeping up the humidity in my chams cage. It's fully screen, and near 2 windows. I plan on closing off at least 2 sides of the enclosure with some plastic of some sort, and his cage will soon be moved to a less drafty area of the house.

I've heard that some people use COOL mist humidifiers inside their chameleons cage. I don't have one, so for the time being, I have placed a warm mist humidifier outside of his cage.

I know that if put it inside, there is a chance he will be burned, but other than that, is there any reason why I shouldn't be using a warm mist humidifier for the time being?

Only thing I'm aware of is they are more likely to breed bacteria, so you need to be sure you're disinfecting it often.

I use small, "personal" size ultrasonic humidifiers in my enclosures in the winter and they work well. I also have a couple sides of my enclosures screened it to help with the humidity.

Don't forget that the humidity doesn't always have to stay at the recomended levels. Fluctuations are normal and nothing to worry about.

Only thing I'm aware of is they are more likely to breed bacteria, so you need to be sure you're disinfecting it often.

I use small, "personal" size ultrasonic humidifiers in my enclosures in the winter and they work well. I also have a couple sides of my enclosures screened it to help with the humidity.

Don't forget that the humidity doesn't always have to stay at the recomended levels. Fluctuations are normal and nothing to worry about.

Thanks! We clean it often, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've looked into those personal humidifiers too, how much did yours cost if you don't mind me asking? I think I'm going to switch to a personal humidifier, or a repti-fogger, see how much that helps.

I know fluctuations are normal, but even if I sit there and spray the cage for 30 minutes it won't go higher than %40, and I know he needs the increase because his last shed left much to be desired.

This is the one I use,
http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Crane-Ultrasonic-Cool-Mist-Humidifier-Elephant.asp?gclid=CPfFyMqbj7kCFSlo7AodaGYASw
I just remove the elephant head from the top and you will see about a 1" round hole. I then insert a Straight piece of PVC pipe to the top of the cage and then a 90 Elbow, straight piece and then another 90 Elbow so that the opening of that elbow sets flat against the top of the screen somewhere in the center. This way it mist it from the top to the bottom. The mister even provides enough that you can T it off and run it to two cages at once.

Thanks! We clean it often, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've looked into those personal humidifiers too, how much did yours cost if you don't mind me asking? I think I'm going to switch to a personal humidifier, or a repti-fogger, see how much that helps.

I know fluctuations are normal, but even if I sit there and spray the cage for 30 minutes it won't go higher than %40, and I know he needs the increase because his last shed left much to be desired.

What are you using to test your humidity? It sounds strange that you can't get it higher that 40% even for a short period of time. If you're using those dial gauges you get at the pet store, they can be hugely inaccurate.

I got mine at Walmart. I think the brand is Homedic or something like that. Anyhow, they were only about 20 bucks each.

I'm having a hard time keeping up the humidity in my chams cage. It's fully screen, and near 2 windows. I plan on closing off at least 2 sides of the enclosure with some plastic of some sort, and his cage will soon be moved to a less drafty area of the house.

I've heard that some people use COOL mist humidifiers inside their chameleons cage. I don't have one, so for the time being, I have placed a warm mist humidifier outside of his cage.

I know that if put it inside, there is a chance he will be burned, but other than that, is there any reason why I shouldn't be using a warm mist humidifier for the time being?

The humidifier packaging is often confusing. Warm mist or vaporizers boil the water to create steam...you don't want to do this unless the unit is a long way from your plants or your cham! As that hot water cools down it spends a lot of time at a warm enough temp to support bacterial growth. If you used distilled water in the reservoir it will take longer for this to happen.

Cool mist types do not chill the water, it comes out at about room temp because the water reservoir stabilizes there over time. As the mist moves through the air those tiny droplets cool slightly more, but I doubt its significant.

Back
Top Bottom