huge quad eggs!!!

pamnsam94

Established Member
The female quad I've been expecting to lay for a while now, started laying today. Unfortunately, I didn't write down when I last saw her breed with the male I bred her to (the male in my avatar with 5 horns), but I knew she was past due. I just didn't know how much so. The mother of the fourteen 21 week old babies I'm raising (bred to a different male), became gravid again, and on 9/10/12, she laid 10 more eggs, 4 of which have gone bad already. I pretty much figured a really small one wasn't good and suspected a couple of other as being bad also. In any case, I definetly thought the female that is laying today would lay way before the other female, especially since she was so much fatter.

The female that started laying today did not choose the best site to dig. The other female laid in the area with the deepest substrate both times. Why this female (I guess I need to name my chams :) ) would choose a shallow spot is anyone's guess but she is busy trying to cover up the eggs. Since she was not able to dig a tunnel in the area she is working (not deep enough), I was able to quickly reach in and grab 5 of the eggs behind her (she was pushing her head down as far as she could) without disturbing her. I just had to post this.

These are the biggest quad eggs I have ever seen, much bigger than the eggs I've seen go full term! She obviously retained them longer than she should have, but I'm wondering if they have any chance at all. I'm just fortunate I guess that the female didn't become egg bound (I've never experienced or heard of a quad becoming egg bound). It's amazing she was even able to pass these. Two of the 5 I took out though are oozing. I don't know if them bursting is what finally triggered her to lay, but I'm hoping that any fluid that leaked inside of her won't cause any problems.

Although I'm mostly concerned about her now, I am wondering many things about the eggs themselves. They all seem to be fully calcified (no yellow areas). They all have a greater amount of brown coloration than I've seen before. However, the 14 eggs that hatched from the other female had the same shade of brown (though less of it) but those eggs were more streaked/spotted with brown. I'd like to know if anyone knows what the brown coloration is caused by. I've had all white eggs and white eggs with brown spots hatch so the coloration alone is not my main concern.

I know there has to be a limit as to how much an egg can expand before bursting, but since some of the eggs are not leaking, I wonder if they might have a chance. I suspect not, but time will tell. Has anyone else ever seen a quad egg this big? All the eggs from this clutch (I think there are at least 3 more) are equally huge. Again, I'm amazed. I just wish she would have laid sooner.

Also, I feel like I should know this, but I'm wondering if embryogenesis starts strictly by the age of the egg (how long it has been developing) or if there is a chemical cue of some kind that triggers development after the eggs are laid. I know that eggs of many species (not quads) have a diapause period where there is no development. Environmental factors supposedly triggers development. In other species I've bred, like T. johnstoni, I was able to candle the eggs soon after laying and was able to detect the pinkish coloration indicative of vascularization and could even sometimes see vessels. Quads have a shorter incubation period than many other species (around 5 months usually). I'm wondering if these eggs are fertile, and since they were obviously retained way too long, if embryogenesis already might have occurred to a greater extent than normal. If so, might the process of the female simply moving around in her day to day activities or even the process of her just laying the eggs be, in essence, similar to turning the eggs (thereby destroying them) part way through development? Am I making any sense? In otherwords, how far can embryogenesis occur in the mother before she is able to lay eggs and the eggs still be viable?

I have one last question. What specifically happens when an egg is rotated that is fatal to the embryo and how does that compare to ovoviviparous species which can hang upside down without harming the embryos they are carrying? I've never read about what is actually occuring that causes fatalities in one instance but is completely harmless in the other. Thanks.

Perry

Attachments

• huge quad egg.jpg
    huge quad egg.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 172
wow!!! it looks like its ready to hatch compared to the other... keep us posted what happens..

Perry I don't have answers to amy of your questions. I am not even sure who you could ask. # of the other mods come to mind, Trace, Chris, and Kent. I am thinking they are the best chance for a informed answer.

I have to say I have never seen or even hear of eggs that size. When I have inquired about what happens when you turn eggs and have always been told the neonate drowns. I have no idea if that is true of not.

If those big eggs hatch put me down for a girl.

Thanks Laurie. She laid a total of 8 eggs today, but it kind of seems she might have more. I only say that because she doesn't look as thin as I'm used to seeing right after a female lays. However, she did cover the 3 eggs that I couldn't get to easily without disturbing her, and she concealed her "tunnel" well. I use quotes because she didn't really dig a tunnel because, as I mentioned, the substrate wasn't deep enough where she laid. I would usually take a female covering up her eggs as a sign that she is finished, but in her case, I'm just not sure because she still looks kind of fat. If she does have more, hopefully she'll dig again soon. I may have to take her to a vet (x-ray) to see if she has any more of those large eggs, or I may just try palpating to see if I can feel any more. The good news is she is acting completely normal.

I've heard it said that way too Laurie, that the embryo drowns, but I'm not quite sure what that really means. Is the embryo not capable of taking in oxygen after the egg is turned? I'd really like to know how it "drowns" and what really happens physiologically when an egg is turned. Of the 8 eggs she has laid, 4 of them were very slightly oozing what appeared to be egg white. I'm assuming they either expanded beyond what the eggshell is capable of or else the integrity of the shell was compromised upon her laying them. Again, I'm kind of amazed she was able to pass them given how large they are. I'm sure I'll be opening those 4 soon enough, so I'll let everyone know what I find (if anything) when I cut them open. As for the other 4, if any of those survive, I'm guessing the eggs won't expand anymore throughout the embryos' development. They'll definitely have plenty of room to develop. After all, they'd be developing in a mansion. :) I don't think that is even possible though without them bursting. I'm really disappointed because I don't expect they'll make it. I was hoping to get good eggs from her, especially because the father is the great tempered 5 horned male I have that has a really nice dorsal crest. If I get neonates from this clutch, they will be completely unrelated to the 14 I'm currently raising. I'm still curious as to what the brown coloration is. Anyone?

Perry

Since I haven't received any answers, I'll broaden the question a little. Has anyone had huge eggs from any species, either right after laying or right before hatching? Did those eggs hatch? Pictures would be good. I've had eggs from time to time that are a little larger than the others in the clutch (both right after they were laid and right before hatching), but several things makes these eggs really different from anything I've experienced anyway. Foremost is the sheer size of these eggs. If you saw these eggs in person (a picture doesn't really make the same impression), I would imagine that most of you would be shocked as I was. Secondly, I find it amazing that it wasn't just a single egg (we've all had an occasional egg that was bigger or smaller than the others) but all of them are huge!! Finally, the brown coloration nearly covers the eggs. As I mentioned, I've had eggs with this same coloration (though less of it) but in spots or streaks on the egg, that went on to hatch without any problem. I used to think such brown coloration was staining of some sort from the medium they were laid in, but definitely not in this case. I'm wondering what the brown coloration is caused by. Surely, some of you have some insight to these thoughts and questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Perry

Since the female still looked big after she covered her first nest and eggs, I thought she might have some more eggs to lay. So, yesterday, I dug a small hole of a size and angle that I typically see quads dig in order to encourage her to finish laying in the area of the enclosure I wanted her to lay. (an area with deep enough substrate). I've done that before with other females (even other species) and it frequently works. Well, today she used that small hole and dug it out deeper. Now, she appears to be in the process of laying more eggs, which is a relief because I think she definitely needs to get them out of her, especially if they are anywhere near the size of the 8 she's already laid. More updates to follow.

I'm cautiously optimistic. She uneventfully laid 10 more eggs today! Every single egg she laid today though is of normal size with the more standard white coloration. So, in total, she laid 8 gigantic eggs yesterday and 10 normally sized eggs today. This time though, she dug a normal tunnel/nest minus the little help from me. :D Again, I can't stress enough how huge the 8 eggs laid yesterday are. You probably can't get a full appreciation of their size just from the photo I posted with the ruler. Even I, when I look at the photo, am not as impressed as when I see the eggs with my own eyes. Funny how that is. Now, if any of these 18 eggs (actually 14 though, because as I mentioned yesterday, 4 of those huge eggs were leaking) end up hatching and the neonates are strong, I'll be pretty happy because they'll be completely unrelated to the 14 babies I'm raising now. I'll have to trade and/or sell some of the ones I have now before I go to Florida at the end of October. If anyone has any quads to trade (adults or babies, WC or otherwise), my family and I'll be making the trek from northern KY (near Cincinnati, OH) so if you want to meet me somewhere along the way, it would be a great way to save on shipping. I'm also wanting to work with melleri again so that is another trade option.

Perry

I'm cautiously optimistic. She uneventfully laid 10 more eggs today! Every single egg she laid today though is of normal size with the more standard white coloration. So, in total, she laid 8 gigantic eggs yesterday and 10 normally sized eggs today. This time though, she dug a normal tunnel/nest minus the little help from me. :D Again, I can't stress enough how huge the 8 eggs laid yesterday are. You probably can't get a full appreciation of their size just from the photo I posted with the ruler. Even I, when I look at the photo, am not as impressed as when I see the eggs with my own eyes. Funny how that is. Now, if any of these 18 eggs (actually 14 though, because as I mentioned yesterday, 4 of those huge eggs were leaking) end up hatching and the neonates are strong, I'll be pretty happy because they'll be completely unrelated to the 14 babies I'm raising now. I'll have to trade and/or sell some of the ones I have now before I go to Florida at the end of October. If anyone has any quads to trade (adults or babies, WC or otherwise), my family and I'll be making the trek from northern KY (near Cincinnati, OH) so if you want to meet me somewhere along the way, it would be a great way to save on shipping. I'm also wanting to work with melleri again so that is another trade option.

Perry

I've been following this thread pretty closely. Although I don't have any answers for you, I found it very interesting. Thank you for sharing with us.

I understand exactly what your saying about the size of those suckers! It would be amazing if they hatch. Please keep updating us with any progress or changes. Maybe you could contact a breeder and tell them your story. Granted, they might not breed the same species, but extremely large eggs have surely occurred before. It seems like you aren't getting many replies, because nobody really knows what to say. Hopefully someone might have the answers you are looking for.

By the way.. I'm glad to see there are some more northern KY Chameleon keepers out there! And rare species at that!

Yes, quads can lay huge eggs. You will just end up with bigger babies at hatching. I have yet to figure out what the pattern is for huge eggs versus the smaller size. When I first saw it I wondered if it was a locality that was at higher elevations, but then I had one female produce one large egg clutch and then one small egg clutch so that theory went out the window...

Yes, quads can lay huge eggs. You will just end up with bigger babies at hatching. I have yet to figure out what the pattern is for huge eggs versus the smaller size. When I first saw it I wondered if it was a locality that was at higher elevations, but then I had one female produce one large egg clutch and then one small egg clutch so that theory went out the window...

Do you happen to have pics of those huge eggs and were they as big as the one in the photo I posted? If you don't have pics, did you take measurements? I've seen variation in size, but never have I seen any as large as the first 8 laid by this female. I find it really interesting that all 10 eggs laid the following day were of normal size. You said your huge eggs resulted in large hatchlings? Did the eggs expand even more throughout incubation? If so, how large did they end up being? I can't imagine these expanding because it seem like they will leak. Finally, did your huge eggs have the brown coloration pretty much all over as the one in the photo, and, if so, do you have any idea what the coloration is caused by? I've also seen that brown coloration in other species' eggs (in good eggs) from time to time and think that someone on here must know what causes it.

I've been following this thread pretty closely. Although I don't have any answers for you, I found it very interesting. Thank you for sharing with us.

I understand exactly what your saying about the size of those suckers! It would be amazing if they hatch. Please keep updating us with any progress or changes. Maybe you could contact a breeder and tell them your story. Granted, they might not breed the same species, but extremely large eggs have surely occurred before. It seems like you aren't getting many replies, because nobody really knows what to say. Hopefully someone might have the answers you are looking for.

By the way.. I'm glad to see there are some more northern KY Chameleon keepers out there! And rare species at that!

The problem with Perry contacting a breeder, is that there are only a few quad breeders, and Perry is one of a very few with any long term experience. Not a lot of people out there to talk to.

Hey just chiming in -- the eggs from the two clutches are probably from the same earlier mating. How would the other males you know what get past those huge eggs!?

Do you happen to have pics of those huge eggs and were they as big as the one in the photo I posted? If you don't have pics, did you take measurements? I've seen variation in size, but never have I seen any as large as the first 8 laid by this female. I find it really interesting that all 10 eggs laid the following day were of normal size. You said your huge eggs resulted in large hatchlings? Did the eggs expand even more throughout incubation? If so, how large did they end up being? I can't imagine these expanding because it seem like they will leak. Finally, did your huge eggs have the brown coloration pretty much all over as the one in the photo, and, if so, do you have any idea what the coloration is caused by? I've also seen that brown coloration in other species' eggs (in good eggs) from time to time and think that someone on here must know what causes it.

This was my large egg clutch. There were originally five, but one was not fertile. I don't like the apparent lack of calcification, but I have had eggs hatch like this before. I haven't seen the brown color that your eggs are showing in the picture so I can't offer insight, but I sure would be interested in the results! This clutch is due to hatch any day now and they have not grown a whole lot since being laid. (The picture was taken when they were laid)
When I was doing quads before I always got large eggs like this and was actually surprised when I got a clutch of "normal" sized eggs! That why I thought it might be locality based...then I had one female give me both sizes.

Luis Weidenmann shared an experience where he got some huge deremensis eggs and some normal size. He saw no difference in incubation period. (I was wondering out loud if the larger eggs were just ones being held longer and, thus, developing more before being laid). He says the larger ones just hatched larger. Definitely report back on your experience!

Attachments

• IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 119
This was my large egg clutch. There were originally five, but one was not fertile. I don't like the apparent lack of calcification, but I have had eggs hatch like this before. I haven't seen the brown color that your eggs are showing in the picture so I can't offer insight, but I sure would be interested in the results! This clutch is due to hatch any day now and they have not grown a whole lot since being laid. (The picture was taken when they were laid)
When I was doing quads before I always got large eggs like this and was actually surprised when I got a clutch of "normal" sized eggs! That why I thought it might be locality based...then I had one female give me both sizes.

Luis Weidenmann shared an experience where he got some huge deremensis eggs and some normal size. He saw no difference in incubation period. (I was wondering out loud if the larger eggs were just ones being held longer and, thus, developing more before being laid). He says the larger ones just hatched larger. Definitely report back on your experience!

Thank you so much Bill for the info and the photo. I find this very interesting and it's good to hear that someone else had a similar experience. You mentioned that when you were working with quads before, you always got large eggs. Did those eggs hatch for you? I ask because you said that Luis said the larger ones just hatched larger, which gives me the impression that yours might not have hatched. When you say that Luis' hatched larger, do you mean the neonates were larger than normal? If so, do you have pics from Luis (or yours if your large eggs hatched)? Do you have data on how big (length and/or weight) the neonates were when they hatched? You also mentioned that Luis did not see any difference in incubation period but did not say if you saw a difference in incubation period (another reason I'm guessing yours didn't hatch). Finally, you say that you had a female that gave you both large and "normal" sized eggs. Were those eggs from the same clutch (laid the same day) or two different clutches? Even though my female laid 8 large eggs one day, then 10 normal sized eggs the next day (again, all the larger eggs are mostly brown and all 10 of the normal sized eggs are white, more white than the 14 eggs that hatched from a different female at the end of April), I still consider them to be the same clutch. The female has only been with one male (although she mated with him multiple times before she became noticeably gravid). I just find this whole occurence extremely fascinating. Like many others, I've cut open dead females and observed eggs at different stages of development, but I've never seen such huge eggs before. Since Luis said the large eggs had a normal incubation period, that would lead me to believe that if the large eggs are indeed older eggs that are retained longer for some reason, then embryogenesis doesn't really get started until after the eggs are laid (I'm still curious as to what triggers development in species whose eggs do not undergo a diapause period). Either that, or the eggs start developing once they are a certain age. If that is the case, maybe the large eggs are not really much (if at all) older than the normal sized eggs, but for some reason became larger than the other eggs in the same amount of time. It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. After all, neonates from the same clutch are frequently different sizes despite being the same age. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Perry

Thank you so much Bill for the info and the photo. I find this very interesting and it's good to hear that someone else had a similar experience. You mentioned that when you were working with quads before, you always got large eggs. Did those eggs hatch for you? I ask because you said that Luis said the larger ones just hatched larger, which gives me the impression that yours might not have hatched. When you say that Luis' hatched larger, do you mean the neonates were larger than normal? If so, do you have pics from Luis (or yours if your large eggs hatched)? Do you have data on how big (length and/or weight) the neonates were when they hatched? You also mentioned that Luis did not see any difference in incubation period but did not say if you saw a difference in incubation period (another reason I'm guessing yours didn't hatch). Finally, you say that you had a female that gave you both large and "normal" sized eggs. Were those eggs from the same clutch (laid the same day) or two different clutches? Even though my female laid 8 large eggs one day, then 10 normal sized eggs the next day (again, all the larger eggs are mostly brown and all 10 of the normal sized eggs are white, more white than the 14 eggs that hatched from a different female at the end of April), I still consider them to be the same clutch. The female has only been with one male (although she mated with him multiple times before she became noticeably gravid). I just find this whole occurence extremely fascinating. Like many others, I've cut open dead females and observed eggs at different stages of development, but I've never seen such huge eggs before. Since Luis said the large eggs had a normal incubation period, that would lead me to believe that if the large eggs are indeed older eggs that are retained longer for some reason, then embryogenesis doesn't really get started until after the eggs are laid (I'm still curious as to what triggers development in species whose eggs do not undergo a diapause period). Either that, or the eggs start developing once they are a certain age. If that is the case, maybe the large eggs are not really much (if at all) older than the normal sized eggs, but for some reason became larger than the other eggs in the same amount of time. It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. After all, neonates from the same clutch are frequently different sizes despite being the same age. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Perry

I had great success hatching out my previous large egg quads. I just did not have smaller egg clutches to compare them to so I could offer no insight as to how the different egg sizes affected hatchlings. I wish I took the kind of notes then as I do now!

The ones I have incubating right now are two clutches from the same female, but laid two months apart. She did not mate again in between. So sometime in the next months I should have some thing to report (assuming all goes well!) And, by the way, my other females are just giving smaller egg clutches.
I wonder if it has to do with two different sets of ovaries reacting differently. Although reacting to what I can't theorize at this point.

I had great success hatching out my previous large egg quads. I just did not have smaller egg clutches to compare them to so I could offer no insight as to how the different egg sizes affected hatchlings. I wish I took the kind of notes then as I do now!

The ones I have incubating right now are two clutches from the same female, but laid two months apart. She did not mate again in between. So sometime in the next months I should have some thing to report (assuming all goes well!) And, by the way, my other females are just giving smaller egg clutches.
I wonder if it has to do with two different sets of ovaries reacting differently. Although reacting to what I can't theorize at this point.

Do you have any pics of the neonates that hatched from the large eggs taken within a week or so of them hatching? If there is anything in the photos that would give perspective, at least I can have an idea of how large such hatchlings might be. If not, we'll just have to wait until your current large eggs hatch. Also, since I'm assuming that you supplement all your females similarly (how many male and female standard quads do you currently have BTW?), it seems that maybe only certain females lay these large eggs. How many females have you had that lay these large eggs?

Back
Top Bottom