HUGE difference

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Finally got Miss Grumpy’s new bigger and better enclosure set up! I wasn’t sure that the new one would really be that much bigger until the old and new were side by side. WOW! I let her enter on her own, which after looking and thinking about it for over an hour, she finally did a slow run over the bridge to her new home. :D Thought I had bought enough to fill it up, but didn’t realize just how big it would be. Will have to get more fake greenery until her plants grow in...maybe use the vines from the old cage and/or use dowels for more walkways for her. She has a proper sized lay bin now too. I even managed to set up the Mist King correctly and she got a good misting already. Still have to figure out the timer though. I’m excited and I think she is too. :love::wideyed: She’s been busy exploring.
So, now I have two questions:
With the mister running three times a day, do I still need to use a humidifier at night?
Can I put a plant bulb in one side of the dual dome light and her basking bulb in the other side?

D4EE3DDB-4DBB-4058-A5AF-5EF48F94561E.jpeg CB390F16-DD58-4F61-B857-6BA96D8F7841.jpeg

Looking good! I’m sure she’s loving it! As far as humidity, I think most keepers have a humidifier/fogger at night to keep humidity between 80-90. But I will let someone else chime in on that since I keep mine outside. Plant lights not sure, I would have to look into some older posts where some members have mentioned them.

Way to go on the new cage! She will be sooooo much happier with her new setup. As far as the humidifier goes that really depends on what your humidity gets down too at night. I run mine all year long at night but in the summer time I cut the schedule down to 4 hours (on at 11pm off at 3am) during the winter I keep mine going all night long because my heater really pulls the humidity WAY down. Also yes you can put a plant bulb in one side of your dome fixture. You should also check all your temps and UVI now that you a way bigger cage.

Nice big cage. What light fixtures do you have now? Dome? Linear? What bulbs are in the fixtures?
How big is the cage?
What kind of plants are you planning on having?

All these questions are important for your lighting needs.

Nice big cage. What light fixtures do you have now? Dome? Linear? What bulbs are in the fixtures?
How big is the cage?
What kind of plants are you planning on having?

All these questions are important for your lighting needs.
Repti sun T5ho 5.0 linear with 60w basking bulb. So far have a couple of Pothos, umbrella plant, parlor palm and I believe a Dracaena (pic below). If they survive may add croton, spider plant or purple passion. Cage is 2x2x4. Plants are on varied levels. Lowest are Pothos and umbrella plants. I appreciate any help/advice you can give. :)

AA970373-6FB6-4F44-B28A-D4D11B120257.jpeg

Way to go on the new cage! She will be sooooo much happier with her new setup. As far as the humidifier goes that really depends on what your humidity gets down too at night. I run mine all year long at night but in the summer time I cut the schedule down to 4 hours (on at 11pm off at 3am) during the winter I keep mine going all night long because my heater really pulls the humidity WAY down. Also yes you can put a plant bulb in one side of your dome fixture. You should also check all your temps and UVI now that you a way bigger cage.
Well...I have a dehumidifier in the rest of the house and unless I turn it full on, it never triggers. Miss Grumpy has her own room with the ac vent open just a few millimeters (so I don’t fry in there) and in her old enclosure, daytime humidity was maintained around 40% - 50%. I never checked it at night and humidifier ran only when it was night. Hand mister with old cage too...few times a day and only could squeeze 1 live plant in.

Before you purchase a fogger why don't you try setting your Mistking to go on once or twice during the night for maybe 15 seconds or so to keep the humidity up. Rain at night is normal.:)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sansi-grow-lights-are-on-sale-for-amazon-prime-day.170263/
This was a really great trend that I learned a lot from. I had a duel linear in the cages myself with umbrellas, ficus and schflerra. None did good. I learned that with those plants you need a quad linear.
Hydrofarm Agrobrite FLT24 T5 Fluorescent Grow Light System, 2 Foot, 4 Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JQBQZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_V4inDb78VJ6G1
If you put in a hibiscus you can run a duel with a led light.
45W Daylight LED Grow Light Bulb, 400W Equivalent Full Spectrum LED Plant Grow Light for Indoor Plants, E26 Plant Grow Bulb for Fruits Succulent Plants Vegetables Grow Walls, Sunlight White UV&IR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L88B9ZD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_57inDb046965M
I just added the lights myself but I'm hopeful the plants will do better.
@cyberlocc @dshuld

Before you purchase a fogger why don't you try setting your Mistking to go on once or twice during the night for maybe 15 seconds or so to keep the humidity up. Rain at night is normal.:)

I own a fogger, don't want to use it. So this is my plan to attempt, coupled with an Arcea Palm.

Arcea Palm is a Natural Humidifer. It transpires an absurd amount of water, 24/7. A 6ft tree puts out 1+ liter per day.

When I find a Palm I will let you know how it goes....

Stupidest thing ever. They are native here, my family in the valley has 15ft ones in their yard. They sell them at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, where I live. They are all 6inches tall I go online to buy a big one, and everyone refuses to ship to AZ and I am like WTH? Why lol.

Last edited:
I own a fogger, don't want to use it. So this is my plan to attempt, coupled with an Arcea Palm.

Arcea Palm is a Natural Humidifer. It transpires an absurd amount of water, 24/7. A 6ft tree puts out 1+ liter per day.

When I find a Palm I will let you know how it goes....

Stupidest thing ever. They are native here, my family in the valley has 15ft ones in their yard. They sell them at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, where I live. They are all 6inches tall I go online to buy a big one, and everyone refuses to ship to AZ and I am like WTH? Why lol.
OMGoodness! I was looking at Areca palms but wanted a small one and they were all big. :LOL: I’m in FL.

OMGoodness! I was looking at Areca palms but wanted a small one and they were all big. :LOL: I’m in FL.

Lol so the opposite problem of me. Well I live in a small town in the corner of AZ high in the mountains. In Pheonix it's probably the same way, huge ones. My mom has a couple 20fters in her yard in Pheonix. And all the nurserys down there sell them, but I am not trying to drive 9 hours for a plant.

Back
Top Bottom