How to Open A Chameleon's Mouth

bjshadle

Hello everyone, I am on here to ask for some helpful suggestions on how to open a Jackson's Chameleon. I am currently treating my Jackson's Chameleon for a fungal infection and have to get him oral antibiotics and am having a tough time.

Here's is some more information:

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Jackson’s Chameleon , male, less than a year. I’ve had my since Feb. 14th 2014.
Handling - Rarely
Feeding - 8-10 crickets when they are all gone (almost every day) Gut-loading with romaine lettuce, potato, and a very, very little carrot, store bought cricket meal, and water bites. He has really been eating since he got sick. I will be giving him waxworms tomorrow.
Supplements - Calcium (very other time) and D3 (twice a month)
Watering - The Big Dripper and a water dish that collects from the Big Dripper with air stone. I mist 2-3 times a day until the leaves are dripping. I don’t see him drink but I’m constantly watching his eyes for any signs of dehydration. Because of the moisture I have a drainage system to stop bacteria growth
Fecal Description - Hasn't gone in three days. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Yes, no bad parasites
History - I took him to the vet. on 7/17 if an infection and was given 4 injections of Frotaz (one every 3 days). I gave him his second injection and his skin broke up so I rushed him to the local emergency animal hospital on 7/20 and was given oral antibiotics, topical cream, pain medication, and reptile supplemental food. Everything seems to be healing nicely.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 18x18x36 Screen cage
Lighting - Reptisun 25w basking bulb and uvb 5.0 tube light. Roughly 9am-9pm
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking = 88-85 degrees. Lowest over night = high 60s. Use a dual temp/humidity gauge (I’ve had bad luck with digital gauges)
Humidity - 50-90 humidity. Fogger and multiple misting. Dual temp/humidity gauge.
Plants - Artificial plants and vines
Placement - In my bedroom (the lowest traffic area in my apartment) No fans, or vents nearby. It is located by my door near the doorway/hallway so I place a bunch of vines on the side so he can’t see anyone. The top of the cage is about 5 feet from the floor.
Location - Tucson, AZ

Current problem: Like I said at the top of this post I am having problems giving him the oral antibiotics and will need to be giving him the food supplement soon since he is not really eating right now. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

my vet told me to use my nail or a guitar pick to wedge between their mouth/teeth, ive been doing this for 2 months now with my poor veiled, they arent happy about it, but just get it over with, rub under their chin till you see them swallowing and then leave them be to calm down, I usually close my door to the room to let him calm down and relax. But be careful you dont get the medication into their wind pipe, so i try and get the syringe wedged in mines mouth so he bites on it then put it on his tongue, it sucks for a bit but its safer then accidentally killing them by suffocating them.. hope that helps

When I administer oral medication, the quickest, and imo, easiest way is to grab them in hand from the back and using your thumb and pointer finger, pin the sides of their head (behind the eyes). Use a firm grip as they will struggle. This will secure them in your hand so they cannot get hurt or hurt you. My chams almost always start gaping and it's easy to give the meds quickly.

Yes, they don't like it. Yes, it causes them a minor amount of stress being handled like that. But using that method it takes me approx. 5-10 seconds to give the meds and it's all over. By far prefer that than poking and prodding at them trying to get them to open up.

If you are giving meds with a syringe I just start at the corner of their mouth and gently push the syringe between their lips and move forward slightly and feeling this usually gets them to open up. Then you push the syringe inside the mouth between the teeth so they can't close it again. Then administer meds. I find this to be safest as you want to administer the liquid to the back of their mouth anyway as their windpipe is in the front of heir mouth. You don't want to risk squirting fluid in the front of the mouth as they can aspirate.

I tend to put the chameleon on the back of my office chair and hold with one hand or put a hand towel over them to keep them still.

None of those methods will work with Kinyongia. They are the most stubborn species I have worked with in that regard. I have to place the plunger of the syringe in my mouth holding it just above their mouth at the ready. Then I grasp behind the eyes and gently pull on their gular and be patient until they tire and relax enough to open their mouth. Then I guide the syringe in, and let loose of their gular so they hold the syringe which allows me to free up a hand to administer the dose.

It'd be much easier with two people but you do what you have to.

Back
Top Bottom