How to keep the crix from hiding?

fubekka

Hi everyone,

My 2 and a half old veiled cham is housed in a 38 gal. reptarium. I have a ficus tree and two plastic exo terra plants tucked up in the top bars to hang down to give him a basking spot. I use a very shallow feeding cup to feed him phoenix(repti) worms and I try to let the crix free roam. I also use paper towels in the bottom of the cage to suck up moisture. I think those damn crix are hiding in the tree/papertowel/wherever because he is always hungry. What do the forums recommend?

80% of the time I hand feed my chams. I also have small white bowls where I place my feeders in. And always cut the hind legs of the crickets so they'll stay in the bowls...

80% of the time I hand feed my chams. I also have small white bowls where I place my feeders in. And always cut the hind legs of the crickets so they'll stay in the bowls...

That a good idea. Also how much and how often are you feeding him?

I've not got the heart to do that, lol. I know im sending them to their death when i give them to my cham but it's not really me hurting them its her so i don't feel as bad. Does that make sense? lol

I've not got the heart to do that, lol. I know im sending them to their death when i give them to my cham but it's not really me hurting them its her so i don't feel as bad. Does that make sense? lol

Perfect sense!!! I am with you on this, I could never cut their legs off either, but then again as you said you were sending them to their deaths anyways. I cannot even look at my cham when he is eating a worm even. I feed it to him an look away! Especially when they crunch like the superworms!:eek:

Take the crickets put them in the fridge for a few minutes to slow them down. Take a pair of tweezers and just hit or break the hind legs. Put the crickets in feeder dishes..no jumping crickets..

Nothing worse than a free ranging male cricket at 3 AM....

Chuck

Put them in a nice big dark tub. The animal can still hunt, and the bugs are contained. I can keep full grow crickets in a 4" tub with no problems. They hardly ever jump out.

Nothing worse than a free ranging male cricket at 3 AM....

HAHA. true. I hate crickets for this reason. Dubia have suited me much better.

Put them in a nice big dark tub. The animal can still hunt, and the bugs are contained. I can keep full grow crickets in a 4" tub with no problems. They hardly ever jump out.

Wait why specifically a dark tub?

That a good idea. Also how much and how often are you feeding him?
Usually every day, my male eats 5-8 crickets and my females about 3-5 each.

I have to cut off their hind legs otherwise, I'll have crickets here there and everywhere get it?

Perfect sense!!! I am with you on this, I could never cut their legs off either, but then again as you said you were sending them to their deaths anyways. I cannot even look at my cham when he is eating a worm even. I feed it to him an look away! Especially when they crunch like the superworms!:eek:

When i first started keeping crickets i was scared of them but now i kinda think they are sweet little things and i often let one crawl about my hand. My mum thinks im strange, lol. I'd probs cry if i had to cut off their legs. lol

ha very interesting i dont have this problem my little guy love to hunt them down and is damm good at it LoL but i too did not like the crickets at first but now i find myself watching then run around their tank crawling all over each other figting climbing eating weird little creatures. i wouldnt enjoy breakin their legs but got no prob watching Camo eat em up. i have put some in the shot glass that use to fead my guy mealworms and have found that they dont seem to try to jump out mearly climb up the side of the glass and fall back in cause it too slippery its about 4" deep and sort of translucent green with a dark bottom (i only mention the color cause my cham seems to like it better than clear ones) My cham almost seems to leave these ones for the end after hunting, smart little guy.

Back
Top Bottom