How to I convince my mother?

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Well I am wanting to start up a strong Dubia Roach colony, but two words come to mind when wanting to start up my own colony. MY MOTHER, she absolutely refuses to let me get some and start my own colony! I REALLY want to get some, I don't like crickets because they smell, and they die quickly. So could you please help me convince my Mother into letting me get some to start a colony.
Thanks Zac:

Ha NO lol I will not! :) I have a stand with sliding doors, like a cabinet that i keep the feeders in and she never looks under there. I secretly have 3 :p that she doesn't know. i hate hiding it from her because she's my mom and all but I really need more and she is the one that is able to take me their and she usually picks up food for me when i'm at school i told her they will save on the food bill and they won't die as fast, therefore they are a better choice. I told her that they don't climb like other roaches and she doesn't want to listen >< ERGH! so i need some pros!

Ha NO lol I will not! :) I have a stand with sliding doors, like a cabinet that i keep the feeders in and she never looks under there. I secretly have 3 :p that she doesn't know. i hate hiding it from her because she's my mom and all but I really need more and she is the one that is able to take me their and she usually picks up food for me when i'm at school i told her they will save on the food bill and they won't die as fast, therefore they are a better choice. I told her that they don't climb like other roaches and she doesn't want to listen >< ERGH! so i need some pros!

Tell her that they need high temps to reproduce so even if they did find a way out, there is no way they can invade your home. They will eventually die... They don't smell and it really will save you lots on feeder money. Try showing her a Youtube video about them!:D

Is you're mom constantly going in and out of you're room? Ive bought some and didn't tell my wife and she hasn't notice them at all...

Is you're mom constantly going in and out of you're room? If not, just get them! I've bought some and didn't tell my wife and she hasn't notice them at all... She will freak out if she ever find them. I'm also planing on breeding them LOL...

I will for sure inform her that they won't survive in our house if i get them and escape. and she doesn't go into that cabinet and she hardly goes into my room. so I think I should be getting some as soon as i get about 25 bucks to get a ficus. :)

The only way that problem was worked out with my mother in regards to my roach colonies (in high school) is that my brother and I had to keep the roaches in the garage as far away from the house as possible. We had to make certain there was enough heat to prevent the colony from dying during the winter. However it worked out.

we sadly have no garage :(

well I bought mine and my mom didnt really know i had told her before that i was getting some she said no (dont remember hearing this lololol) tell her you will put it into two tubs, I have mine in a glass aquarium and in a ice chest and you will place a few sticky traps JUST IN CASE* which i almsot guarentee none will escape, Good luck!!

well I bought mine and my mom didnt really know i had told her before that i was getting some she said no (dont remember hearing this lololol) tell her you will put it into two tubs, I have mine in a glass aquarium and in a ice chest and you will place a few sticky traps JUST IN CASE* which i almsot guarentee none will escape, Good luck!!

I don't have any basement and we have a shed, but no heater and there is holes in it D: its a horrible shed. and I will try to sneak some in :) again!

I don't have any basement and we have a shed, but no heater and there is holes in it D: its a horrible shed. and I will try to sneak some in :) again!

If you could find an insulated container and there is power in the shed you could make a warm box to keep your roaches in year round. Just would have to put a couple holes in the insulated box for air circulation then a heat source to keep the roaches warm.

I have used an aquarium heater installed into a glass jar that was filled with water in the past that would work for your situation or even a electric heat stone for reptiles could work as a heat source for roaches.

If you could find an insulated container and there is power in the shed you could make a warm box to keep your roaches in year round. Just would have to put a couple holes in the insulated box for air circulation then a heat source to keep the roaches warm.

I have used an aquarium heater installed into a glass jar that was filled with water in the past that would work for your situation or even a electric heat stone for reptiles could work as a heat source for roaches.

that sounds like an amazing idea! I wish there was power out there! ha I'll figure something out :)

Depending how far your shed is away from the house you could probably use a work shop extension cord to use as a power source.

Having the insects outside of the house is great. Family, friends and guest have not got worry about something crawling out from underneath furniture and freaking everyone out. If you have the means to move your feeder insects out of the main house I recommend it. Such as a converted garage or shed.

I think that we have some large extension cords around, the bad thing about it, is that there is about 4 feet of snow blocking the shed and about 3 feet of snow on the ground. Ill make up some plans to make the shed the main place for the feeders.

Hate to be a downer but if I were your mother and said no roaches, then found them, you would not even own any reptile. Just consider that you could lose your cham to have the roaches - is it worth it?

Well as I have had similar problems in the past I can understand both sides. The main problem about Dubias is their extrem hardiness. If some get out of your terrariums they wont die. They can survive in a house very long, they even survive -10°C without any problems !. And now imagine what will happen if your mom puts a bag or shoe box or anything else away and she sees a fat, 2 inch long dubia roach... As Laurie said your chances to loose your hobby can increase massively. I dont know your mother but I can forecast that you will earn much trouble.
So my advice: Try to focus on breeding caterpillars. There are many different species available in the US, they are accepted by everyone and they are healthy feeders. They make more work but you wont get any problems.

Listen to your mom.

That being said, my mom says they look like beetles or giant isopods (which are real!) Once she saw them she didn't care anymore. She saw how lame they are as bugs... :D

Listen to your mom.

That being said, my mom says they look like beetles or giant isopods (which are real!) Once she saw them she didn't care anymore. She saw how lame they are as bugs... :D

cool mom :p

the "papaya beetles" didnt fly so great with my mom. :(

but she would allow me if i keep them outside, i use a baksing lamp, which is fine:D

Back
Top Bottom