How to heat dubia colony?

I have them in a Rubbermaid, its pretty large. I have mainly nymphs but around 20 adults, 2:1 ratio female to male. I've had them for about two months now (The adults) and no babies yet. Going to move over nymphs for feeders then add a heating mat to the colony and only disturb them to feed.

I just don't want to cook them.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...and-rocks/-/zoo-med-10-to-20-gallon-heat-pad/

Looking at this one, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You could get that, and then get a switch at the hardware store that's like a dimmer. You can adjust how hot the heat pad gets (I think it work more like 1/2 power getting to the heat pad up to full power). The switch looks like a regular dimmer switch with a bar that you can move from one end (1/2 power) to the other (full power). I use one on my leopard gecko's heat pad since we're here in Fl and I don't want to bake her! :D

Those mats run at 100F. It should be fine for a plastic bin since by the time it gets to the bugs its around 90.

My setup is an always on sunbeam electric blanket, it runs at about 115, but in a 70 degree room it only keeps the bin at 82F half way up, cage floor is about 100F.

I also have dubias in a plastic container and was thinking of using a heating pad, but on the heating pad box it says not to use on plastic. There is risk of fire. Any thoughts on this?

Instead I just use a red heat light at night when temps get low.

The mats get hot spots as they get older, its why they are only stick on glass. If i had the money, id do flex watt heat tape with a Proportional Thermostat. Its the safest option.

Thanks for the responses :)

So I shouldn't place it between wood and plastic? If I have a spacer so its not directly touching plastic should that be fine?

I had one of those reptile heating pads on mine and it actually melted a hole in the plastic. I am sure I misused the thing and that was the cause but still cant be too cautious.

Back
Top Bottom