how to get chams to eat plants and fruits.

trustingtristen

I have two chameleons male and female. I have left in the past romaine lettuce, collard greens, zuchinni, squash and blueberries and to no avail not even a bite of these things. They do eat mostly crickets, meal worms, wax worms and once a week hornworms. I see my male sometimes eating the hibiscus in his enclosure and female nothing. I am trying to tame my female and she is very skittish and doesn't like to be handled she hisses at me if I push. it takes 30 min for her to get on my had to get a worm. Any advice on how to get my chams to eat fruits and veggies.

You can also take a thin slice of apple or sweet red pepper and when the chameleon is opening and closing its mouth eating, stick the end of the piece between its teeth. Once it figures out that it's food it will often eat it the next time it's presented to it.

You can also take a thin slice of apple or sweet red pepper and when the chameleon is opening and closing its mouth eating, stick the end of the piece between its teeth. Once it figures out that it's food it will often eat it the next time it's presented to it.

I do this to feed my chams random stuff all the time, even to feed them feeders they don't like lol.

I cut the veggies into bite sized strips and put it in the food bowl with feeders. Those sticky tongues might grab a veggie and find out how tasty they can be!

Mine would rather eat fruits and vegies than crickets. I think it is an individual thing.

Welcome to the forum!

@lijun120331 not all species of chameleon eat fruits and vegetables directly. At the least, most fruits and vegetables will give them moisture but the rest depends on the chameleons ability to digest/process the fruit and veggies. I can't give you a proper answer.

I did this and now they will readily take whatever I offer them by hand. I like to give them blueberries once a week or so to help with hydration, they both love them now and take them instantly.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom