How to get cham back in cage

Hey guys, I was trying to get a hornworm out of my chams cage and i left the door open and then he climbed onto the top of his cage. I just got him 5 days ago and he's a 3 month old panther chameleon, I don't know how to get him back in. Should I use my hands? I don't really want to handle him though because I do not want to stress him out.

You’re going to have to handle him one way or the other. Just don’t grab him from above. Extend you arm/hand out slowly and reach from underneath his belly. With your other hand, place it behind him in the area you don’t want him to go to help corral him and prevent him from going away from you.

You’re going to have to handle him one way or the other. Just don’t grab him from above. Extend you arm/hand out slowly and reach from underneath his belly. With your other hand, place it behind him in the area you don’t want him to go to help corral him and prevent him from going away from you.
He keeps running away from me and he's on the top of the cage so I can't really reach underneath of him.

You’ll need to use something then to corral him to you...maybe extend a stick towards him. He most likely will seek the highest area, so if you can get a stick near him, he may climb on it.
Phew! Finally got him back in his cage. When I had to handle him he turned almost black but then the moment I put him back in his enclosure he returned to his normal colors. Thank you so much!!

Phew! Finally got him back in his cage. When I had to handle him he turned almost black but then the moment I put him back in his enclosure he returned to his normal colors. Thank you so much!!
Short periods of stress are sometimes unavoidable and your cham will be fine and relax. It’s the chronic or prolonged and frequent stress that we need to avoid. Glad you got the little guy back in his home. 😊

Soo happy it worked out! You might wanna watch both of the chameleon Academy YouTube videos on how to handle you chameleon. They were really helpful for me being really worried about trying to hold my little girl. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom