How to feed off green and blue bottle fly spikes?

PlanetRemulak

Avid Member
It just dawned on me that I’ve probably been doing this wrong.. I ordered 250 fly spikes in a combo pack from Rainbow Mealworms. I’ve been storing them in my fridge, dusting as usual with whatever supplements are required for the day and feeding them off to Beau. He loves them and will come right up to the cage door in the hopes that he’ll get some, but I realized they aren’t on the staple feeders list. Evidently, I saw green/blue bottle flies on the list early on and confused that for “spikes are fine.” Are these safe to be fed off? Like my BSFL, they haven’t been gutloaded (going to start feeding them little bits of greens and bell pepper, though. I figure any extra nutrition is good).

I prefer to feed off blue bottle flies as actual flies. I wait for them to hatch and then let my chams go crazy. I think of them as a good way to provide enrichment for my chams. I follow the same process for blue bottle flies as I do for black solider flies:

It just dawned on me that I’ve probably been doing this wrong.. I ordered 250 fly spikes in a combo pack from Rainbow Mealworms. I’ve been storing them in my fridge, dusting as usual with whatever supplements are required for the day and feeding them off to Beau. He loves them and will come right up to the cage door in the hopes that he’ll get some, but I realized they aren’t on the staple feeders list. Evidently, I saw green/blue bottle flies on the list early on and confused that for “spikes are fine.” Are these safe to be fed off? Like my BSFL, they haven’t been gutloaded (going to start feeding them little bits of greens and bell pepper, though. I figure any extra nutrition is good).
The spikes are fine to feed off! Just make sure to gutload the spikes and the flies if you pupate them (Josh's Frogs has a fly gutload that I use for all of the types of flies that I keep and pupate), along with not feeding your cham solely/mainly the spikes

The spikes are fine to feed off! Just make sure to gutload the spikes and the flies if you pupate them (Josh's Frogs has a fly gutload that I use for all of the types of flies that I keep and pupate), along with not feeding your cham solely/mainly the spikes
Any creative thoughts on how to serve that gutload? I put it in a bottle cap, but it always ends up turning over and making a big mess. Do you think they would eat it dry, I make it up with water as instructed.

Any creative thoughts on how to serve that gutload? I put it in a bottle cap, but it always ends up turning over and making a big mess. Do you think they would eat it dry, I make it up with water as instructed.
For spikes, I have a gutload container where I put my homemade gutload on a lid in there and put how many spikes I want to feed off in there overnight. For flies, I put either the pupae or flies I want to feed off in a container with the Josh's Frogs fly gutload made up and let them gutload overnight/wait until the pupae hatches then gutload overnight

As for creative ideas, I don't know any, what I do works for me. For feeding dry gutload, you can always try it and add in a fresh piece of a veggie for hydration, to see how it works

For spikes, I have a gutload container where I put my homemade gutload on a lid in there and put how many spikes I want to feed off in there overnight. For flies, I put either the pupae or flies I want to feed off in a container with the Josh's Frogs fly gutload made up and let them gutload overnight/wait until the pupae hatches then gutload overnight
Well there's the rub-I only feed the adults and it is hard to move the ones you hatch over to a gut-loading container!

I use little containers that have a hole in the top and put the pupae and gutload in there and put it in the cage when the fly is close to hatching, so it can hatch, eat, then fly into the cage without me having to worry about it escaping

Back
Top Bottom