How to eyeball a cham?

Valiant

Hey, the little still-nameless one is 8 weeks and counting now. This cham is our first reptile- not ideal, apparently, but we're getting the hang of it.

Anyhow, it seems clear as we're learning this that Chams are remarkably good at showing visible signs of their good or ill health if you're watching for them.

What exactly am I looking for as I'm eyeballing him?
I know sunken eyes are bad and have seen a couple other things mentioned. What's the rest of the list?

thanks for your patient help while we're getting our bearings. he's getting bigger every day!

here's a couple shots of him. he looks healthy to me, but maybe i just don't know what I'm looking for.

DSC03706-small.JPG

DSC03707-small.JPG

DSC03716-small.JPG

Last edited:
Cute little guy. A few signs that you might have a problem are: Eyes closed in the daytime. Sleeping in the day time is not good. Weak grip. Bowed legs. Not eating or not drinking. The white part of the poop yellow or orange looking. Below is a great blog, with lots of good info on raising a veiled chameleon. Jann

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

I agree with jannb. Also, watch the activity level. Is his throat area always hanging down a bit, or is he just posing for the pictures?

He looks good.
Don't worry about not having kept any other reptiles in the past.
Most "reptile rules" do not apply to chameleons .... taking care of them is more like taking care of a parrot.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom