How to discriminate female Oustalet's Chameleon and female Furcifer verrucosus ?

Female F. oustaleti are normally green or red and are a larger chameleon. While a F. verrucosus females look very similar to female F.pardalis. They tend to be brown with a exception for the sub species and are midsized. Sorry no photos.

Female F. oustaleti are normally green or red and are a larger chameleon. While a F. verrucosus females look very similar to female F.pardalis. They tend to be brown with a exception for the sub species and are midsized. Sorry no photos.

thank you !
can you tell me what is it ? :confused:

1h703m.jpg

I actually think that is a Furcifer oustaleti. Reason being is the verrucosus I have seen are never that large, nor do they have that large of a "casque".

Two easy ways to tell the difference: 1. the cheek scales in F. verrucosus are much larger than in F. oustaleti. 2. The dorsal crest is very, very reduced in F. verrucosus compared to F. oustaleti. In verrucosus the dorsal crest will usually not extend beyond the first half of the body.

It's still an Oustalet's.

Yes, have to agree with Oustalet male. I have three oustalet males and he looks similar. The female oustalet's are very green, like a veiled green.

Here are some of my males pics from a little while back...

DSCN0959.jpg

DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN0687.jpg

Yes, have to agree with Oustalet male. I have three oustalet males and he looks similar. The female oustalet's are very green, like a veiled green.

The animal in the photo posted by the OP of this thread is not a male, its a female. Female Furcifer oustaleti are not always green and in fact frequently show the tan background with red barring on the body. Here's an example:

madagascar3a09.jpg

Chris

Yes, that is very true! I have seen some of those colorations on the females as well. It is hard to tell from the pic, but his does look similar to my males. But, the bars are a little different then my guys and the pic you posted more closely resembles the pic in this thread.

Kudos, Chris - I'm sure you have seen quite a few more females than I have and living in Florida, I'm sure you have seen the populations there too.

No tad...I'm kinda lay-n low with the chameleons for now....that was young female I bought last year on a deal I just couldn't resist!!!! Going crazy with the dart frogs now and I'll always have my tortoises...but someday ill get back into the chameleons....

No tad...I'm kinda lay-n low with the chameleons for now....that was young female I bought last year on a deal I just couldn't resist!!!! Going crazy with the dart frogs now and I'll always have my tortoises...but someday ill get back into the chameleons....

Very nice!! I don't want to rob this thread, but once I finish school, I'm going to give breeding a shot as soon as I can find a good quality CB female Oustalet. But I checked out his other thread and I'm definitely on board with the female Oustalet! The other pics are very clear with the coloration.

Ill give you all the breeding info (Oustalet)you need when you get started....I'd be very happy to do that for you!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom