How to collect silkworm eggs

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all! Breeding has commenced. As moths pair off and then lady moths lay their eggs, shall I put them in a new container? Last time I had eggs within this critter carrier. I'd like to get them into smaller containers. How do the rest of you manage that?

Attachments

• PXL_20220219_155255680.jpg
    PXL_20220219_155255680.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 89
@snitz427 suggested the use of small dixie cups, which is what I use. As soon as a couple has paired off, I stick a cup over them. It also helps to prevent the over-eager unpaired males from disturbing the happy couple.
I was able to get some video of a lady laying her eggs last time I had silkies breeding. It’s kinda cool how they feel around with their back end to align the eggs.

@snitz427 suggested the use of small dixie cups, which is what I use. As soon as a couple has paired off, I stick a cup over them. It also helps to prevent the over-eager unpaired males from disturbing the happy couple.
I was able to get some video of a lady laying her eggs last time I had silkies breeding. It’s kinda cool how they feel around with their back end to align the eggs.

That's amazing thank you for sharing!

When I breed them, I put the small cup over them, but I put them on parchment paper- the eggs pop right off, and then I stick them in the fridge for 3 mos, pull them out..and hatch away 😁
Oh good thinking! I ended up just doing paper towels everywhere since I was strapped for time 😅

I use a large brown paper grocery bag. Cut the top half off. Put all the moths in the bag as soon as they emerge from their cocoons. They will breed and lay eggs in the bottom (mostly) of the paper bag. When all are finished laying eggs cut the paper bag into pieces that will fit into a zip lock bag. Refrigerate 6-8 weeks then take out as many eggs as you want to hatch at a time.

I use a large brown paper grocery bag. Cut the top half off. Put all the moths in the bag as soon as they emerge from their cocoons. They will breed and lay eggs in the bottom (mostly) of the paper bag. When all are finished laying eggs cut the paper bag into pieces that will fit into a zip lock bag. Refrigerate 6-8 weeks then take out as many eggs as you want to hatch at a time.
Wow I totally could have done that! Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom