How to Clean Branches with Hydrogen Peroxide?

I just cleaned my branches, cork, and vines due to a plant pest outbreak (scale). I washed them with a mix of water, dawn, and a little rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. I sprayed and rinsed 2-3x to kill and remove the pests. Then I poured boiling water over the clean branches to kill any eggs that might have survived.

For routine cleaning of new branches - I think this mix or a diluted bleach mix is more than sufficient. I only clean my branches to avoid bringing in plant pests.

if you are cleaning for coccidia, thats a different story.

You don't think hydrogen peroxide would be safer? Bleach can leave harmful residue and soap too in many cases

I think you should rinse like the dickens no matter what you use, but I do especially well when using soap or bleach. I do some serious sniff tests to ensure I rinsed thoroughly.

I just realized I have hit the “old enough” level to use the term “____ like the dickens.” I apologize profusely.

Rinsing well should take care of any residue and bleach breaks down into harmless compounds in the presence of organic material. Even activated hydrogen peroxide requires rinsing. Regular medicine cabinet peroxide is largely ineffective against bacteria.

Regular medicine cabinet peroxide is largely ineffective against bacteria.
Respectfully disagree.
When you buy hydrogen peroxide from a pharmacy, you’re getting a solution that contains 3 percent hydrogen peroxide dissolved in water. This formulation is strong enough to kill harmful microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, and spores.

Like rubbing alcohol, it also has the ability to destroy SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus. Additionally, hydrogen peroxide has many other uses in the home.
https://www.healthline.com/health/rubbing-alcohol-vs-hydrogen-peroxide#which-is-better

will 3% peroxide kill bacteria?

AFAIK, it will kill what we want/need it to in a chameleon enclosure.

Rinsing well should take care of any residue and bleach breaks down into harmless compounds in the presence of organic material. Even activated hydrogen peroxide requires rinsing. Regular medicine cabinet peroxide is largely ineffective against bacteria.
I was thinking the more hard core peroxide lol.

Odd you say that about bleach, a lot of stuff online mentions that residue becomes dangerous again when moisture is added. I'm just going off random articles/comments though so not certain 🤷🏻‍♂️

Either way, I'm sure you guys are rinsing enough. Some are more careless than others though. Like I'm obsessive and things have to be perfect, but then there's my ADHD family members... they breeze through things as fast as they can, no matter how important it is.

You don't want to leave chlorine bleach residue on items that go inside cages. I'm just saying in the presence of organic material like dirt or poop it breaks down into what I was taught are harmless compounds. I no longer recall all of my organic or clinical chemistry so I can't tell you what the compounds are. *Que our crack researchers* Regardless a thorough rinsing is important when using most cleaning agents on anything that will be in prolonged contact with an animal. I also make sure you can't smell any sign of bleach.

You only need to use hair bleaching level peroxide to kill coccidia oocysts. Branches that haven't had other chameleons living on them shouldn't be harboring anything like that. I only sanitize my branches to eliminate salmonella or other pathogenic bacteria. Bleaching peroxide can burn your skin and would be overkill. I do use it to clean non porous surfaces like cages but you can not count on it to kill coccidia on wood so it would be better to get new branches. There are other safer disinfectants that will clean branches but not sterilize them enough for reasonable use.

Basically I'm just trying to get the bird poop off whether I can see it or not.

You don't want to leave chlorine bleach residue on items that go inside cages. I'm just saying in the presence of organic material like dirt or poop it breaks down into what I was taught are harmless compounds. I no longer recall all of my organic or clinical chemistry so I can't tell you what the compounds are. *Que our crack researchers* Regardless a thorough rinsing is important when using most cleaning agents on anything that will be in prolonged contact with an animal. I also make sure you can't smell any sign of bleach.
With chlorine bleach, It depends on the surfaces you're cleaning. Chlorine is highly reactive with metals like aluminum (screen & screen framing) and can create & leave behind salts (e.g. aluminum chloride), which is one reason I don't use it. OTOH, bleach should not react to PVC. Problem is mfd enclosures with PVC have aluminum frames! :eek:

I tried bleach on some stones & bricks once, and it turned out to be a royal PITA.

You only need to use hair bleaching level peroxide to kill coccidia oocysts.
There is no published research showing how well [accelerated hydrogen peroxide] will kill coccidia (or similar organism) oocysts in the environment. However there is research showing that it can be used to effectively reduce the amount of Clostridium spores in the environment, which suggests [accelerated hydrogen peroxide] would also work well against coccidia oocysts (though it has a label claim against neither Clostridium nor coccidia).
https://www.sheltermedicine.com/library/resources/?r=environmental-decontamination-of-coccidia

Branches that haven't had other chameleons living on them shouldn't be harboring anything like that. I only sanitize my branches to eliminate salmonella or other pathogenic bacteria. Bleaching peroxide can burn your skin and would be overkill. I do use it to clean non porous surfaces like cages but you can not count on it to kill coccidia on wood so it would be better to get new branches. There are other safer disinfectants that will clean branches but not sterilize them enough for reasonable use.
They'd have to be some pretty special/impressive branches for me to re-use rather than replace, but that's me. 🤪

Basically I'm just trying to get the bird poop off whether I can see it or not.
Good argument for stripping off bark or using textured dowels/rods. ;)

Whatever works.

I think you should rinse like the dickens no matter what you use, but I do especially well when using soap or bleach. I do some serious sniff tests to ensure I rinsed thoroughly.

I just realized I have hit the “old enough” level to use the term “____ like the dickens.” I apologize profusely.
split depth GIF

Maybe I phrased this wrong. There are three kinds of peroxide we are talking about. There is the hydrogen peroxide many people keep in there medicine cabinets for cleaning wounds and rinsing their gums. It has a mechanical action that can remove debris from wounds but it can be harsh on the tissues and actually impede healing. It does very little to kill germs of any kind.

There is a cleaning product I've been calling activated hydrogen peroxide. I use the Lysol brand to clean cage bottoms and a few other items. With a fairly short contact time it kills a lot of germs but not coccidia. I rinse afterwards.

Then there is the hair bleaching product you can get at beauty supply places. There is anecdotal evidence of it potentially killing coccidia oocysts on surfaces with a prolonged contact time. It should be diluted and handled carefully if used at all. it can burn your skin and and eat holes in your clothes. You can read my blog entry if you want to know more and there are old posts on the subject of 40 volume peroxide.

Maybe I phrased this wrong. There are three kinds of peroxide we are talking about. There is the hydrogen peroxide many people keep in there medicine cabinets for cleaning wounds and rinsing their gums. It has a mechanical action that can remove debris from wounds but it can be harsh on the tissues and actually impede healing. It does very little to kill germs of any kind.
That's the part I disagree with from post #26.

Now if you're talking about a bottle that's been in the medicine cabinet for 3 years... Like bleach and ammonia, peroxide can lose potency over time. If it's a fresh bottle, it'll clean/kill just about anything except coccidia, but very few chameleons have that unless WC or raised in a contaminated environment. If an enclosure is clean, it'll stay clean as long as the occupant isn't exposed (like to something outside). Once exposed though, it's a whole 'nother ball-o-worms.

It is a contact time issue. It takes a minimum of 5 minutes of continuous contact for 3% peroxide to be effective. We only ever used it in veterinary hospitals to clean blood stains off of things. We didn't have 5 minutes to wait to use a room or cage. It's other drawbacks are as you mentioned self life and exposure to light affect it's efficacy. It is best on hard surfaces but that is the case with most cleansers.

It is a contact time issue. It takes a minimum of 5 minutes of continuous contact for 3% peroxide to be effective. We only ever used it in veterinary hospitals to clean blood stains off of things. We didn't have 5 minutes to wait to use a room or cage. It's other drawbacks are as you mentioned self life and exposure to light affect it's efficacy. It is best on hard surfaces but that is the case with most cleansers.
As with most/all other cage cleaning products. If given the few minutes, it DOES work.

By the time the 5 min are up, you're likely left with water, and wiping dry will ensure that.
I can't think of another product that's safer to use around animals.

This has no value for this particular debate… but my sister (a nurse) said her hospital doesn’t use or recommend hydrogen peroxide for wounds anymore as it actually causes more harm that good. It destroys the surrounding healthy tissue. Reg old soap and water for basic wound cleaning these days.

In the context of this convo - I think soap and water are simple answer often overlooked. Coccidia is the outlier and exception… but otherwise… I like to use this analogy for the weirdos who think hand sanitizing means they no longer need to wash their hands:

If you get baby poo smeared all over your arm… hand sanitizer might kill the germs, but you’re still covered in poop. Wash !

For branches and general cleaning - soap is an surfactant (or anti surfactant?) that helps to *remove* substances, rather than simply disinfect them. Wash away the poo! For extra measure, I sometimes pour boiling water as a rinse or steam… if I want to ensure something is dead (like plant pests).

Back
Top Bottom