How to catch Katydids

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
After watching many of our forum members struggling to catch grasshoppers I decided to take a quick vid during my last trip.

Nothing earth shattering here, I’m mostly posting this so everyone gets a better understanding on the the terrain that produces the most amount of hoppers here, may be different where you live. You want to be scanning the top half of the taller plants in the area, the bigger Katydids are always up top. This video also shows how the don’t even attempt to run from you when you spotlight them.

Forgive the shaky video, I was driving my bike, holding the camera, and catching hoppers at the same time!

C7ECDC6B-25FC-4452-9359-97A61B1BFF20.jpeg
C9897D84-D25E-4ACC-B5CA-2790399203C2.jpeg
70D679B9-E2FE-480D-802B-B44A9CF0E0A7.jpeg
3F3CE042-FDE6-4437-917F-ECE63A2DCE77.jpeg
ACA09AC5-C003-458B-BBC3-602459897BDC.jpeg
1301038A-FE46-4F72-8716-24BFD349D7A5.jpeg

I just caught 3 large ones in one night on my screen door. What I've noticed is the type of light they're attracted to. They like the lower color temperature lights more than the higher. I put my inside light on, turn off the porch light and they've been gathering on my screen.
I’ve found the same, anything over 5k doesn’t pull them in...

Nice! Part of the challenege for me is being in an urban/suburban area. I see them on occassion but not bountiful at all :(

I did see one on the McDonalds drive thru menu and nearly ran flipped my car looking for something to put it in
Lol you should see how my neighbors look at me when they see me, a grown man, jump off the lawnmower and sprint full speed across the yard chasing a cricket!

Nice! Part of the challenege for me is being in an urban/suburban area. I see them on occassion but not bountiful at all :(

I did see one on the McDonalds drive thru menu and nearly ran flipped my car looking for something to put it in
I throw mints on my floor trying to catch a lady bug. My husband learned that day that lady bugs fly :rolleyes: City boys

Back
Top Bottom