How to assist shedding

That is what I read, I’ve seen so many mixed opinions it’s hard to know what to do.

They are dry shedders. The problem is stuck sheds after the shed. I get them off by misting, letting the shed dry, repeat. This makes the shed brittle/flaky and easier for the cham to rub off, or at least split so no circulation problems. I will point out i do not mist a shedding chameleon, i only mist if its been a few days and it looks like there will be issues with toes or spikes etc.

They are dry shedders. The problem is stuck sheds after the shed. I get them off by misting, letting the shed dry, repeat. This makes the shed brittle/flaky and easier for the cham to rub off, or at least split so no circulation problems. I will point out i do not mist a shedding chameleon, i only mist if its been a few days and it looks like there will be issues with toes or spikes etc.
Yeah I haven’t been misting him directly because I did read about them being dry shedders.

I would be happy to go over these items with you if you like.
I’ll fill this out so you can see everything-

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, Male, around 7 months old, 2 months with me.

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
    whenever he lets me sometimes once a week sometimes not at all

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?His staple feeder is locusts, gutloaded with fruits and veggies that are marked safe on the gutloading charts (different kinds everytime ) he also gets a morioworm or two ever other day and a few wax worms every second week with his vitamins.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?calcium everyday, calcium with d3 twice a week, vitamins once a fortnight, not sure what brands I’m not home right now.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?tap water with reptisafe in a small droplet misting bottle 4 times a day for a minute. I see him drinking from the direct spray but not from leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?dark brown firm but wet with a creamy often watery urate, he hasn’t been tested as no vets are doing this atm but it’s definitely gonna happen ASAP.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Zoomed 30x16x30 glass. I know it’s not ideal but a larger hybrid cage is in the works ( taking time because it’s hard to get a hold of materials atm.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?not sure of brands but The heat bulb is a regular 60w bulb and I bought a linear uvb. 12 hours on 12 off
    Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? At basking 80-85 and around 70 at the floor I’ve never measured during the night but I measure with a thermometer meant for reptiles.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mostly 60% , maintaining just by misting, the same thermometer measures humidity
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No. Live plants yet until he’s moved to his better cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?my room, no fans, low traffic top of his tank is about 6ft if not more from the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? North uk

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Also forgot to mention he eats 7 large locusts, depending on if he’s having worms then I will for example give 6 locust 2 smaller worms.

I’ll fill this out so you can see everything-

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, Male, around 7 months old, 2 months with me.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?His staple feeder is locusts, gutloaded with fruits and veggies that are marked safe on the gutloading charts (different kinds everytime ) he also gets a morioworm or two ever other day and a few wax worms every second week with his vitamins.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?calcium everyday, calcium with d3 twice a week, vitamins once a fortnight, not sure what brands I’m not home right now.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?tap water with reptisafe in a small droplet misting bottle 4 times a day for a minute. I see him drinking from the direct spray but not from leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?dark brown firm but wet with a creamy often watery urate, he hasn’t been tested as no vets are doing this atm but it’s definitely gonna happen ASAP.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Zoomed 30x16x30 glass. I know it’s not ideal but a larger hybrid cage is in the works ( taking time because it’s hard to get a hold of materials atm.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?not sure of brands but The heat bulb is a regular 60w bulb and I bought a linear uvb. 12 hours on 12 off
    Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? At basking 80-85 and around 70 at the floor I’ve never measured during the night but I measure with a thermometer meant for reptiles.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mostly 60% , maintaining just by misting, the same thermometer measures humidity
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No. Live plants yet until he’s moved to his better cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?my room, no fans, low traffic top of his tank is about 6ft if not more from the floor.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Also clarify his UVB situation. You said you bought a linear. Does that mean he is currently using something different? If so, what? And what type of linear bulb did you get?

Also clarify his UVB situation. You said you bought a linear. Does that mean he is currently using something different? If so, what? And what type of linear bulb did you get?
Yes I’m using it, I only specified I bought one because beman corrected the bulb I bought when I first got one. I know the bulb is a 5.0 I just don’t know anything else like brand etc

@Char.claugh see feedback in red bold.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?His staple feeder is locusts, gutloaded with fruits and veggies that are marked safe on the gutloading charts (different kinds everytime ) he also gets a morioworm or two ever other day and a few wax worms every second week with his vitamins. Use a variety of veg as your base. Not just one or two. switching up what you use is great as well.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?calcium everyday, calcium with d3 twice a week, vitamins once a fortnight, not sure what brands I’m not home right now. So you want to give calcium with D3 every other week so it is 2 times a month. Multivitamins should be given 2 times a month on a rotating schedule with your calcium with D3. Take a picture when you can of the multi so I can see what your using. Then all other feedings you should be using calcium without D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?tap water with reptisafe in a small droplet misting bottle 4 times a day for a minute. I see him drinking from the direct spray but not from leaves. make sure your spraying the leaves really well.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?dark brown firm but wet with a creamy often watery urate, he hasn’t been tested as no vets are doing this atm but it’s definitely gonna happen ASAP. good

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Zoomed 30x16x30 glass. I know it’s not ideal but a larger hybrid cage is in the works ( taking time because it’s hard to get a hold of materials atm. great he will need the space.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?not sure of brands but The heat bulb is a regular 60w bulb and I bought a linear uvb. 12 hours on 12 off. linear uvb is this a t5HO single bulb? what bulb strength did you buy?
    Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? At basking 80-85 and around 70 at the floor I’ve never measured during the night but I measure with a thermometer meant for reptiles. good
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mostly 60% , maintaining just by misting, the same thermometer measures humidity.. These are good. daytime your looking for a 30-50% max for veileds and at night they can be up to 100%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No. Live plants yet until he’s moved to his better cage. This may be why he is not drinking from leaves. If you can add a live plant it will really make a difference for him.

@Char.claugh see feedback in red bold.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?His staple feeder is locusts, gutloaded with fruits and veggies that are marked safe on the gutloading charts (different kinds everytime ) he also gets a morioworm or two ever other day and a few wax worms every second week with his vitamins. Use a variety of veg as your base. Not just one or two. switching up what you use is great as well.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?calcium everyday, calcium with d3 twice a week, vitamins once a fortnight, not sure what brands I’m not home right now. So you want to give calcium with D3 every other week so it is 2 times a month. Multivitamins should be given 2 times a month on a rotating schedule with your calcium with D3. Take a picture when you can of the multi so I can see what your using. Then all other feedings you should be using calcium without D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?tap water with reptisafe in a small droplet misting bottle 4 times a day for a minute. I see him drinking from the direct spray but not from leaves. make sure your spraying the leaves really well.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?dark brown firm but wet with a creamy often watery urate, he hasn’t been tested as no vets are doing this atm but it’s definitely gonna happen ASAP. good

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Zoomed 30x16x30 glass. I know it’s not ideal but a larger hybrid cage is in the works ( taking time because it’s hard to get a hold of materials atm. great he will need the space.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?not sure of brands but The heat bulb is a regular 60w bulb and I bought a linear uvb. 12 hours on 12 off. linear uvb is this a t5HO single bulb? what bulb strength did you buy?
    Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? At basking 80-85 and around 70 at the floor I’ve never measured during the night but I measure with a thermometer meant for reptiles. good
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Mostly 60% , maintaining just by misting, the same thermometer measures humidity.. These are good. daytime your looking for a 30-50% max for veileds and at night they can be up to 100%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No. Live plants yet until he’s moved to his better cage. This may be why he is not drinking from leaves. If you can add a live plant it will really make a difference for him.
I do use a lot of different vegetables and fruits, I’m sure all of my supplements are exoterra just not sure( I won’t be home until tomorrow) and I’ll give his d3 less. The linear is 5.0 and I’m not sure about the t5ho, I think it’s reptisun if that helps ? I’ll lower his humidity and I’m sure he does drink of leaves as his urate always comes with a lot of excess water just I’m hardly ever in the room to see him drink.

Right which is due to husbandry issues. I remember your thread. crusty eyes should not happen with proper husbandry. Not trying to be mean just honest.
What do you mean by Husbandry? Care? If so this chameleon gets lots of care, and I’m working on his eyes as we speak so-

I do use a lot of different vegetables and fruits, I’m sure all of my supplements are exoterra just not sure( I won’t be home until tomorrow) and I’ll give his d3 less. The linear is 5.0 and I’m not sure about the t5ho, I think it’s reptisun if that helps ? I’ll lower his humidity and I’m sure he does drink of leaves as his urate always comes with a lot of excess water just I’m hardly ever in the room to see him drink.
Sounds good hun. :) If I was involved in your UVB I would have suggested a T5ho with a 6% arcadia bulb or a 5.0 zoomed bulb.

I am sure he is drinking. His eyes look good and if urates are white then your good there. Let me know about the multivitamin when you do get home.

What do you mean by Husbandry? Care? If so this chameleon gets lots of care, and I’m working on his eyes as we speak so-
Not to derail this thread for the person that created it... When we say husbandry it is the entire scope of their care. As in proper care for a chameleon. From their enclosure set up, feeding, supplements, gutloading, temperatures, humidity, lighting. Every single aspect is their husbandry. And when I speak to your husbandry I am going all the way back to your first thread last year about his crusted eyes.

This is incorrect... Causes the opposite of the intended action. Will cause the shed to stick. This in turn could cause cuffs because the shed no longer has the dry layer between skin and shed. I would not tell anyone to dip their chameleon in water much less to solve a shedding issue. This simply is not done.
Well it has worked so far... Every time my cham was having trouble shedding, I misted his feet and it was all gone within the hour...

Back
Top Bottom