How to assist shedding

Char.claugh

My 7 month old male veiled is currently shedding but can’t seem to shake the shed off his toes and I don’t want him to lose a toe. His last shed lasted 2 days start to finish, this time we’re on the fifth day and it doesn’t look like it’s coming off any time soon. It might be normal and I might be overreacting I’d just rather be sure and I want to know how to help him if it doesn’t come off in the next few days.

Attachments

• D872C510-C5A3-43BA-8E85-2E32E5FE6588.jpeg
    D872C510-C5A3-43BA-8E85-2E32E5FE6588.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 84
I’ll give it a try, I read that they shed better dry is that wrong ?
yes, If your temps and humidity is right there should not be an issue. No changes to husbandry should be made while shedding, unless the husbandry is not on point. Some chameleons may have a bit more trouble shedding, so I suggested some water to help lossen it up in case your humidity is not right.

yes, If your temps and humidity is right there should not be an issue. No changes to husbandry should be made while shedding, unless the husbandry is not on point. Some chameleons may have a bit more trouble shedding, so I suggested some water to help lossen it up in case your humidity is not right.
My humidity is kept the same the only difference is I don’t spray him while he sheds, much to his disliking.

Shed is better dry you should let him be. You should interact only if the shed is making his blood stop in his toes.
That’s what I’m worried about, he shed his whole body in a day but now it’s the fifth day and the only shed left is on his toes and abit on his belly. How will I know when it starts to cut of blood ?

Keep the misting schedule the same, keep everything the same unless the humidity is not right to begin with. If you don't mist, how is he supposed to drink?
I should have worded that better, I still mist his plants and paper towels just not him directly (he usually likes to drink from the spray).

Please DO NOT DIP in water... This will have the reverse effect. They are dry shedders. By dipping in water you will actually cause the shed to stick to the skin rather then coming off with the layer of air between.
That is what I read, I’ve seen so many mixed opinions it’s hard to know what to do.

They will take longer to shed as they mature... It is not a rapid explosion like when they are babies....

Here are the specifics though. We only intercede if you see a cuff develop. This is most common on their tail. Where it forms a ring and tightens down.

Shedding issues are directly related to gutload, supplements, and ambient humidity levels. So if a shed is taking longer then one of these components of the husbandry could be off.

They will take longer to shed as they mature... It is not a rapid explosion like when they are babies....

Here are the specifics though. We only intercede if you see a cuff develop. This is most common on their tail. Where it forms a ring and tightens down.

Shedding issues are directly related to gutload, supplements, and ambient humidity levels. So if a shed is taking longer then one of these components of the husbandry could be off.
If he hasn’t shook it off in a few days I’ll have a look into changing things but I’ve been using gutloading charts etc.

Dip his feet in the water to loosen the shed up.
This is incorrect... Causes the opposite of the intended action. Will cause the shed to stick. This in turn could cause cuffs because the shed no longer has the dry layer between skin and shed. I would not tell anyone to dip their chameleon in water much less to solve a shedding issue. This simply is not done.

Back
Top Bottom