How smooth is too smooth? and how much is too much?

pocoray

Some what sworded title i know xD

Im sorting branches for my enclosure build, and some are on the rather smooth side, my worry is will my cham (still to get) wont be able to grip adequately...
Am I worrying for nothing and willing to add in extra work, or is it better to be safe than have a cham doing the slip N slide around the enclosure xD

Also, when adding branches is there too many?? I just dont want the enclosure looking like a woodland version of Kerplunk (old af childrens game if no one gets the reference

If you have any funny fail branch stories, that would be amazing. Everyone could do with a good laugh from time to time.

There is such a thing as too many branches, but I think a more common critique when building chameleon cages is a lack of branches. As long as you have adequate room for plants and there is a sufficient gap between the lights and your future chameleon's designated basking spot I think you'll be fine. Of course, since you're perfecting the cage before buying a chameleon (kudos for that) you have the time to play around with the branches a bit and get feedback on here if so desired!

As for the smoothness of branches, I'd be interested to see what more experienced keepers have to say. In my limited experience my chameleon had no problem gripping onto smooth branches - I'd imagine the claws helped 😅

There is such a thing as too many branches, but I think a more common critique when building chameleon cages is a lack of branches. As long as you have adequate room for plants and there is a sufficient gap between the lights and your future chameleon's designated basking spot I think you'll be fine. Of course, since you're perfecting the cage before buying a chameleon (kudos for that) you have the time to play around with the branches a bit and get feedback on here if so desired!

As for the smoothness of branches, I'd be interested to see what more experienced keepers have to say. In my limited experience my chameleon had no problem gripping onto smooth branches - I'd imagine the claws helped 😅

Once iv put the branches in ill post a picture :D Iv been doing the cage since Friday and i now feel like a carpenter, and a crazy person because i was walking through the woods looking like a crack head in a gilly suit walking to the car park.

The branches are almost shiny thats how smooth they are, clearly im a pro at cleaning and debarking branches... possibly it might be my calling haha

You don’t really need to remove the bark. I keep the bark and even lichen on my branches. Whatever doesn’t come off with a good scrub and thorough rinse gets to stay. If your branches are too slick, you could sand them rough. I know a lot of people like to use bamboo and that is really way too slippery, especially when wet. I’ve used commercial wooden dowels before and my chams were fine with that degree so smoothness.
I hear you about branch hunting. I got my last big haul from a tree that had fallen on the roadside and felt anyone watching would be laughing their butts off at a middle aged ball shaped woman climbing a fallen tree and stuffing her tiny car full of branches. I did make sure to grab way more than I needed so I don’t have to look so ridiculous anytime soon.
Here’s how I have my panther’s enclosure to give you an idea. He’s in 2 XL ReptiBreezes connected with bioactive floor and faux DIY background (in case you’re wondering).
02BA4FAB-6E29-40C2-ACF3-F748D72E9175.jpeg

So I do not take the bark off mine.... I prefer them more natural. I think I would be more concerned with diameter though. You want a varied diameter of branches. Rather than all the same size. This allows them to grip different sizes which is much better for them.
Same here, I just gave the bark on a good scrub. All of my branches were on the smooth side to begin with (nothing like birch or anything)

You don’t really need to remove the bark. I keep the bark and even lichen on my branches. Whatever doesn’t come off with a good scrub and thorough rinse gets to stay. If your branches are too slick, you could sand them rough. I know a lot of people like to use bamboo and that is really way too slippery, especially when wet. I’ve used commercial wooden dowels before and my chams were fine with that degree so smoothness.
I hear you about branch hunting. I got my last big haul from a tree that had fallen on the roadside and felt anyone watching would be laughing their butts off at a middle aged ball shaped woman climbing a fallen tree and stuffing her tiny car full of branches. I did make sure to grab way more than I needed so I don’t have to look so ridiculous anytime soon.
Here’s how I have my panther’s enclosure to give you an idea. He’s in 2 XL ReptiBreezes connected with bioactive floor and faux DIY background (in case you’re wondering).
View attachment 318907
THAT IS BEAUTIFUL! And no marbles anywhere haha, I think once weve made more room and weve had the floor fixed in the front room i wanna do a big cage with bio active floor, and just make it look like a rainforest, which my wife will hate while im doing but love after and lothe when i tell her to water the plants in the room xD

ahhh i didnt realise i didnt have to debark the whole thing, I just wanted to be sure as in the UK everything is wet... all the time, i dont know what the sun looks like and im starting to think its a myth xD ill give it a little sand down in places or even just score some groves on the really slippy parts :D

Im so glad im not the only one who 100% got judged for looking like a forest gremlin :D
Its best when you get a friend roped in, as we managed to get my friends boyfriend to drag a huuuuge bushy newly chopped branch of a pine tree. And he loved it. he even had a saw in his car!! If she doesnt marry him im going to adopt him!

So I do not take the bark off mine.... I prefer them more natural. I think I would be more concerned with diameter though. You want a varied diameter of branches. Rather than all the same size. This allows them to grip different sizes which is much better for them.
Iv got a lot of different sizes and different... breeds of trees? Iv forgotten the correct term haha, so theres different feels and sizes :D i think next time ill just give them a good scrub and not go full hannable and deskin them. :D

We only have Pine out of those 3 around where i live, and Iv used that as décor in my house and for firewood :D (we have like a cute woodland cottage/ witches grotto theme going on)
Pine Decor for you is fine. Branches for cham no bueno.

I was good and read up before becoming "that weird woman in the woods" so i knew which ones to get :D
Ehhhh Just wait until you start seeing amazing branches on the ground while your driving and you have to go back to pick them up. We all get there it is just a matter of time.

Ehhhh Just wait until you start seeing amazing branches on the ground while your driving and you have to go back to pick them up. We all get there it is just a matter of time.

Im probably already there... I cant be taken anywhere without foraging EVERYTHING, Rocks... my back pack is full, edible plants, you guessed it in my pockets, dead animals for my friend to clean the skulls for me.. yep in the back of the car. Im surprised people dont think im a serial killer.

Im probably already there... I cant be taken anywhere without foraging EVERYTHING, Rocks... my back pack is full, edible plants, you guessed it in my pockets, dead animals for my friend to clean the skulls for me.. yep in the back of the car. Im surprised people dont think im a serial killer.
Yeah I think you will do just fine then lol

View attachment 318907
Is this too repti breeze together I need another pic on how you did this if so please

Back
Top Bottom