How should incubation be set up

Hello everyone, I have read lots of websites on how to breed and incubate eggs. I am still very confused on what to use as an incubator, humidity, and temperature. Where would I put the incubator when I transfer the eggs into it. I'm looking to breed a veiled or panther chameleon. Thanks.

For veileds and panthers I keep the temperature around 72 degrees F .

It's important to incubate the eggs in the dark.

I've never used a normal incubator...i made my own.
If the incubator container is set up right the humidity shouldn't be a problem.
More to follow.

Last edited:
For an incubator I used a screen covered wooden 2" x 2" frame with a human heating pad under it. The heating pad was the type that doesn't shut off automatically.

For an incubation container I use shoebox sized plastic container with a lid. I fill it half full of barely moist coarse grained vermiculite. To test the vermiculite for moisture...take a fist full and squeeze it....you shouldn't be able to squeeze out more than a drop or two of water. I lay the eggs in rows about 1 " apart in all directions in shallow dents I made with my thumb. When digging the eggs up and moving them do not turn them. Put the lid on and put the container in the incubator. Check once in a while to make sure the eggs are ok and the vermiculite is moist. You will see beads of moisture on the sides and inside of the lid of the container.

Thanks, this was helpful for me, too. Do I transfer the eggs immediately after they were laid? How do I pick them up - with my fingers, with a spoon? And do I need to clean them from the dirt before they go into the incubator?

Back
Top Bottom