how often should I shower my 3 month old veiled ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 124
I agree with the above mentioned. If well kept a shower shouldn't be necessary. I've not had to shower my Panther and he's a year old.

Hard to give a definitive answer by the info./pic. given. Although, it's a nice shot of your young veiled. How's your husbandry? Is he/she eating and drinking normally? How's the urate looking? Take a few min to fill out the husbandry form and paste it in a response along with a few more shots of your little guy. It will definitely help to illicit more of a response.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Cham, male , around 3 months old . only been in care for around a month
  • Handling - Every other day
  • Feeding - crickets , 5-10 a day , and also wax worms and mealworms every 3 days . gut load with " orange cubes "
  • Supplements - Calcium with out D3 , daily
  • Watering - i have a dropper that goes on all day , and I spray the cage 2-3x a day
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown color
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage , and standard ? medium ?
  • Lighting - day uv bulb and standard heat bulb , 8 hrs uv and 12-15 heat
  • Temperature - Ave temp 80' basking goes from 85-90 and low is around 70
  • Humidity - humidity level 70-80
  • Plants - Using " zebra plant "
  • Placement - Cage located in my room , around 2 1/2 from ground
  • Location - Houston Tx

Current Problem - Does my Cham look healthy ?

Thanks for posting the additional info. From the pictures you've posted he looks healthy. Are there any specific problems you've noticed with him? As for your husbandry, there re a few things that you can adjust to make your cham. that much more successful.
I see you are handling every other day. You might try other interactions with him other than picking him up. You might try hand feeding or letting him come to you to explore, say a climb up your arm and down the other side without you even reaching for him. Takes some time and tolerance on both your behalves. Some keepers advise against frequently handing as this induces more stress on the creature and makes him possibly more prone to illness.
Crickets are a good everyday feeder. Wax worms and meal worms should be fed sparingly. Try superworms, dubia and others as listed in the care sheets (resource section) above.
Get rid of the orange cubes and feed your feeders as in the above with fresh fruits and veggies. Do a search for the most beneficial.
As for supplements, make sure you are dusting X2 per month with a D3 powder and vitamin as in the care sheets.
You list the lighting as a uv bulb and standard heat bulb , 8 hrs. uv and 12-15 heat. You can go with 12 on and 12 off. Make sure your temps are a little lower as your veiled is young. basking should be no more than 85 for his age. Ensure that you have a UVB bulb. Reptisun 5.0 is recommended.
You should add as many plants and climbing opportunities in the enclosure as you can. I'm uncertain of zebra plants as a safe one for veiled as they can/will snack on the foliage. Safe bets are ficus benjamina, pothos and shefflera. You're on the right track. Make a few adjustments and you/ your ham. will reap the rewards of a proper set up. REad all you can and ask lots of questions. Hope to hear from you soon.

A shower every few weeks is a good idea it will allow him to clean his eyes and really ensure he stays properly hydrated. If your mister runs more than 5 minutes per session not as big a deal.

what do you gutload with ?
Thanks for posting the additional info. From the pictures you've posted he looks healthy. Are there any specific problems you've noticed with him? As for your husbandry, there re a few things that you can adjust to make your cham. that much more successful.
I see you are handling every other day. You might try other interactions with him other than picking him up. You might try hand feeding or letting him come to you to explore, say a climb up your arm and down the other side without you even reaching for him. Takes some time and tolerance on both your behalves. Some keepers advise against frequently handing as this induces more stress on the creature and makes him possibly more prone to illness.
Crickets are a good everyday feeder. Wax worms and meal worms should be fed sparingly. Try superworms, dubia and others as listed in the care sheets (resource section) above.
Get rid of the orange cubes and feed your feeders as in the above with fresh fruits and veggies. Do a search for the most beneficial.
As for supplements, make sure you are dusting X2 per month with a D3 powder and vitamin as in the care sheets.
You list the lighting as a uv bulb and standard heat bulb , 8 hrs. uv and 12-15 heat. You can go with 12 on and 12 off. Make sure your temps are a little lower as your veiled is young. basking should be no more than 85 for his age. Ensure that you have a UVB bulb. Reptisun 5.0 is recommended.
You should add as many plants and climbing opportunities in the enclosure as you can. I'm uncertain of zebra plants as a safe one for veiled as they can/will snack on the foliage. Safe bets are ficus benjamina, pothos and shefflera. You're on the right track. Make a few adjustments and you/ your ham. will reap the rewards of a proper set up. REad all you can and ask lots of questions. Hope to hear from you soon.

I feel like when you use fresh fruit , they rot quick .

That likely means your cricket colony is too damp, or you are feeding too much fruit and veggies at one time. The only way to get the proper nutrients to your chameleon is through proper gutloading of the prey items. Squash, kale, collard greens, carrots, Apple, papaya, sweet potato are just a few of the things I gutload with. Variety is the key.

That likely means your cricket colony is too damp, or you are feeding too much fruit and veggies at one time. The only way to get the proper nutrients to your chameleon is through proper gutloading of the prey items. Squash, kale, collard greens, carrots, Apple, papaya, sweet potato are just a few of the things I gutload with. Variety is the key.
do you use the gel like substance to keep them hydrated ? ( the crickets )

I use the small balls that expand in water. Same thing as the gel but I buy them in bulk online because i have so many animals. Trust me, after a while you'll enjoy gutloading your feeders as much as feeding them to your Cham. It really gives a keeper a lot of pride when your husbandry is good, and your animals healthy. My feeders actually eat better than I do.

I'll usually do three or four at a time , rotating different stuff out each week. How many crickets do you usually have at one time? If any less than about 100, you only need to feed maybe a tablespoon worth of veggies at a time. Keep cutting back until you notice that the crickets have finished it before it molds.

Back
Top Bottom