how much water can be force fed?

ChamOh

Established Member
My cham is mildly dehydrated -- I had to remove all plants due to a bought with coccidia, so he didn't have much to drink from. Anyway -- I've been squirting some water in his mouth when he's eating. How much water would be a reasonable about to administer per day until he's back on track?

My cham is mildly dehydrated -- I had to remove all plants due to a bought with coccidia, so he didn't have much to drink from. Anyway -- I've been squirting some water in his mouth when he's eating. How much water would be a reasonable about to administer per day until he's back on track?

20-30 ml/kg every 24 hours is the standard amount to administer orally to all reptiles. When you administer orally, it is usually Pedialyte that is being given, so that is what this dose is for in the Exotic Animal Formulary. If you are giving a large amount of water like this, I would add pedialyte every once in a while to prevent electrolyte imbalance.

Don't squirt water into its mouth in case you cause the chameleon to aspirate it (get it into its lungs). Dripping it is better so it has time to deal with the water.

Back
Top Bottom