How much tissue should show when Cham poops

MrsM

Avid Member
I just saw my female panther chameleon Betty take a poo and it concerns me. I saw approximately 1/2 cm of pink tissue extend past her vent. I panicked but once she was done it went right back in, and she started walking around normally.
She had a checkup three weeks ago and had no parasites-great health. She finished a shed 3 days ago and it looks good, got a bit darker on her ridges but I’m still doing showers and put polysporin so she doesn’t rub. Her eyes are bubbly and her crest is convex so she seems hydrated. She is actively moving around her cage.
I didn’t get to snap a photo in time. The poop was fairly runny with off mostly white urates, some orange. I’m keeping a special eye on her since my other chameleon has an URI, and gave her Reptaid yesterday to support immune system. It was just a bit much anal gland pushing when she went potty. Worries me.
She primarily eats dusted wax worms, hornworms, and gut loaded butter worms.
Anyone else see this happen and panic, only for it to retract? What could it signify?

• Your Chameleon – Panther-female . Handling - daily sunbathing

• Feeding –, calcium dusted gutloaded butterworms, hornworms-.waxworms
  • (She won’t touch crickets)
  • Supplements – Repashy Calcium, D3 biweekly, vitamin A monthly

• Watering – I mist, and use a drip

• Fecal Description – Light brown with a tiny bit of liquid, mostly white urates with a bit of orange

• History - Given to me by a breeder that retired her. She had an injured eye at the time. She uses it way better now.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type – Screen- 18x18x36

• Lighting – Lugarti T5 UV 22” (diagonal across top) w reflector, basking bulb, heat bulb if temp drops during day

• Temperature - 72-82

• Humidity – Use a diffuser and misting

• Plants – Combined fake plants, vines, laying bin

• Placement – Near window.

That was a partial prolapse. This can happen. As long as it retracts back in it is of no huge concern. There was recently an episode in prolapse on Bill Strands Podcast season 4 on chameleonbreeders.com

Thanks! I will check that one out.
So I kept an eye out. It stayed retracted today, but when she went potty today she did a tiny little butt scoot on the vine at the end to wipe off. What would you do?
She’s still acting really healthy otherwise. Eating, moving, bubbly.
I may be overthinking it but I am new and I don’t want to miss any important warning signs.

Thanks! I will check that one out.
So I kept an eye out. It stayed retracted today, but when she went potty today she did a tiny little butt scoot on the vine at the end to wipe off. What would you do?
She’s still acting really healthy otherwise. Eating, moving, bubbly.
I may be overthinking it but I am new and I don’t want to miss any important warning signs.
This is also normal. Not like chameleons use Charmin Ultra Strong lol. Just keep an eye out for prolapse that doesn't retract.

Sounds like you two have it under control but there shouldn’t be any prolapse at all. You were given good advice, just keep an eye on it.

So how do you plan to correct your supplement issues? And I 100% agree with ChamMom, the feeders your currently relying on are more like candy, not actual food. She’s not going to eat crickets or Dubia if you keep letting her fill up on the equivalent of Cham candy. You’ve got to put your foot down, like making your kids eat their veggies!

Sounds like you two have it under control but there shouldn’t be any prolapse at all. You were given good advice, just keep an eye on it.

So how do you plan to correct your supplement issues? And I 100% agree with ChamMom, the feeders your currently relying on are more like candy, not actual food. She’s not going to eat crickets or Dubia if you keep letting her fill up on the equivalent of Cham candy. You’ve got to put your foot down, like making your kids eat their veggies!

I changed some things up and got her to eat crickets and a silkworm today. :) I’m really grateful for your guidance guys.

Repashy calcium dusted on the crix...
I also have the LOD on hand for 1x a week.
I have preformed vitamin a for monthly.
I gut loaded with carrot gratings and alfalfa...
I tried to feed the silkworms off of a leaf from my tree, which is a fruitless Morus Alba.

Is that the Repashy calcium plus? or the Repashy calcium plus Lo D? If those are the two you are using you... do not dust with anything else. Silks only eat mulberry leaves or silk worm chow .Gutload with these items
Gutloading 101.jpeg

Repashy calcium dusted on the crix...
I also have the LOD on hand for 1x a week.
I have preformed vitamin a for monthly.
I gut loaded with carrot gratings and alfalfa...
I tried to feed the silkworms off of a leaf from my tree, which is a fruitless Morus Alba.
If you do this schedule you will be providing virtually zero D3. If the LOD is going to be your only source of D3 it must be used at every feeding. Same thing goes for your gutloading, might as well not even have one. A WIDE variety is key.

If you do this schedule you will be providing virtually zero D3. If the LOD is going to be your only source of D3 it must be used at every feeding. Same thing goes for your gutloading, might as well not even have one. A WIDE variety is key.

Thanks!
Thats just what I gutloaded yesterday, though BrodyB. Im mixing it up...got sweet potatoes today and greens and oranges next... but still need to understand the D3 supplement. I don’t want to overdo it and I provide approx 6 hours of real sun a week... I’m reading posts and finding different things about D3 and it is confusing to me. I checked my bottles.
I have lugarti calcium without D3 and repashy calcium plus LOD. I need to get a new multivitamin that has D3.

As for morus alba it is a mulberry but my tree doesn’t produce fruit just the pollen. Still trying to find out if silkworms like it.

Back
Top Bottom